• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Clearwater Lake Fishing Reports & Info - Annandale

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hydro

• jigginjim

• FishSystem

• thesecret

Top Posters In This Topic

They were on the sharp drop-offs in about 10 FOW and suspended at 5, but if you were not directly over them it was very hard to get a bite.

any bass report

Fished a tourney on Saturday on Clearwater. We were able to get a lot of bass- size was my problem. (no jokes please) smile We caught 30-40 bass in 8 hours- mostly in the 2 pound range- our biggest was 3.25lbs

The big bass for the tourney was about 5.25 lbs. So they are there, and seem to be heating up, although the big ones are a challenge.

We got most of ours on plastics- but a few did hit on rattletraps, so they are getting more aggressive

The family and I rented a cabin on Clearwater lake, and this will be the first time ever fishing the lake in 2 days!! I have an 18 ft boat and lakemaster chip. Just looking for some information on what ussualy works and trying to narrow the search down before I get there. I'd preferably like to catch some walleye, and if I'm not successful then I'd go after some pike, bass, and some panfish. I'll be staying on the E side of the lake. Any areas to start looking first?

If you'd rather PM, my email is [email protected]

Thanks,

Wow, where do you start! The east basin of Clearwater is kind of like an underwater mountain range, with fast drops from 3' to 25'+ of water. I would suggest starting at the bait shop on the north shore of the west basin and see if you can get some advice as to where to start. If they give you any useful info, try to check your map for what type of structure and depth the fish are coming from. Once you have that, try to interpolate the conditions to areas near where you are staying from what you can find on your map chip.

That part of the lake is where I grew up and for starters on the east basin, I can recommend working the north shore from the point west to the Camp Friendship area. Lots of structure and plenty of pike, bass, and some walleye. Pike will come easy, walleye will be tough. Good luck!

Sure give him one of my favorite areas. Just kidding, personally for myself, I have found the deep weed edge seems to be a good place to start. Throw something out along the edge and you never know what you might catch. From an anchored spot the Mrs. and I have caught sunnies, bass, walleyes, and northerns. In fact this weekend she caught a nice 17" bass while fishing for sunnies, exciting for her with an ultra light rod and 4# line.

Sorry about that G, I know it's a good area but not much different that the rest of the lake. I bet there's 4 miles of weedline in that one mile of shore. I agree on the deep side of the weeds and I would look for inside turns with a little less steep of drop to start. Heck, the entire lake is like that and I bet there is over 50 miles of that type of structure in there. Anchoring is a good technique to start as boat control following the weed edge is the biggest technical challenge on that lake!

You could anchor shallow with a lite anchor in the weeds, they will hold you in place. Let out enough rope to float you over the edge of the weeds. Or do the opposite anchor deep and float to the weed edges. I use a bottom bouncer fished almost straight under the boat. Once you figure out the depth of the weed line you can fish it faster.

Just throw out a 1/2oz spinnerbait and start driving around, speed up, stop then slowly speed up. You may catch little of everything.

• 1 month later...

Where would you guys try for walleyes this time of year on Clearwater? (Not necessarily specific spots - but depths, types of structure, etc.)

Does a Lindy rig/ crawler harness seem appropriate for bait?

Does time of day seem to be a big factor on this lake?

I'm taking my cousin out tomorrow morning and hoping to land a couple. Haven't had much (no) luck my other two outings earlier this season.

Any replies are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Oh, feel free to email me too tsande @ hotmail . com

Lindy rig and crawler should produce well this time of year, also leeches would be a good bet. Work deeper than the weedline and at the crack of dawn, By 7:00 in the morning go down to 25' or so as the fish will have moved. Keep the bait moving at a good clip and a spinner will help. Let us know how you do!

Lindy rig and crawler should produce well this time of year, also leeches would be a good bet. Work deeper than the weedline and at the crack of dawn, By 7:00 in the morning go down to 25' or so as the fish will have moved. Keep the bait moving at a good clip and a spinner will help. Let us know how you do!

Well, this is pretty much what we did although we didn't have much success. Didn't get to the lake until 7:00. Fished 17' to 25' feet deep mostly. Might have been too shallow at times, we struggled to stay on our spots with the wind/rain distraction and being unfamiliar with the boat we were using. Ended up fishing in the rain without appropriate gear, which is never fun.

Caught some bass accidentally (had spinner rig hanging off the side of the boat while I was trying to navigate back to the deeper water and bang!)

Fun day on the water though despite any walleye success.

• 2 weeks later...

Heading out to Clearwater for the first time this weekend. Any recommendations and are they biting out there now?

• 1 month later...

Fishing on clearwater is starting to pickup. Fished from 4 to 8 tonight and caught some eyes and pike and missed more than I caught. I jigged and pulled a lindy rig around some sunken islands in about 14 to 20 feet of water. I was using redtails and they worked pretty good. The bigger minnows were hit almost right away whie the 2 to 3 inch chubs seemed to soak for a pass or two. If I would have let the ones I missed take it alitte bit longer, I would have had more fish in the boat. Good night of fishing and it's only going get better as fall progresses.

Found the same, not alot on the graph to indicate where they were holding, but at about 5 pm they started to bite 14 to 16. Larger minnows were the ticket. They were nice when they did bite.

• 3 weeks later...

Fished 10/10/10 and managed 2 small eyes in 20' of water around sunset. Was surprised to get em that deep.

Yes they are biting right now! Crappies will be bunched up this time of year, in typical spots you would look at early ice. Be prepared to fish depths of 30'-40' or more, and you will have to find the schools with the sonar before you drop a line. Vertical jigging or rigging a floater back up off the bottom will get your lure in front of the fish. Clearwater has some beautiful crappies and this time of year they can give some great action. Be prepared for an exersise in accurate boat control!

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone been out fishing on Clearwater lately? I was out yesterday morning for a little bit, but couldn't locate the fish. tried all depths(even really deep) and many areas of the lake. I would have thought that they'd be bunched up with the water temp being around 46 degrees.

Had a few bites at various depths, using larger suckers. Was hoping to try it again tomorrow, and might be my last time out.

Any thoughts?

I was out early last week and couldn't find them either. Plenty of people trying and I only saw one person pull in a fish. Hopefully they turn on soon otherwise it will have to wait until first ice.

I've been out on Clearwater once a week for the last 6 weeks. Fish I've been catching have been on the east side in 18 to 22 feet of water on minnows. Was there Sunday caught 4, 2 eaters, bite seems to be slowing some. Most of the fish coming on hard bottom/rocks.

• 4 weeks later...

I'll start this one in hopes of getting some information for all. Does anyone have ice reports for Clearwater yet? West basin out from BJ's bait or the access free east basin?

This lake scares the heck out of me. Seems like guys are going through the ice season round.

Unfortunately I have no report to provide, lol...

I'm thinking of going out checking some conditions, U may not want to follow me as my luck this season has not been really fun? OR wear your swim suit and life jacket. eek

I've been pondering going out on the north side this weekend by the Cty 128 bridge that dumps into Grass Lake, but like another poster said, this lake scares me enough that I'm not venturing out there the first week. Does anyone else fish this side of the lake? I've had little luck summer fishing that area, but it's reachable for my barely alive snowmobile from my house.