• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Clearwater Lake Fishing Reports & Info - Annandale

Does any one know how the ice is out there? can you use a 4 wheeler to get around with the snow thats out there and is there water comming up through the ice. I would like to get out behind the island comming from the west side any help would be great thanks.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hydro

• jigginjim

• FishSystem

• thesecret

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be pretty cautious about trying that just yet, especially with a 4 wheeler. Clearwater is notorious for currents and varying ice thickness and a trip from the bay access out around Bungalo island will take you over all sorts of depths, weeds, and sunken islands. Clearwater froze up late, and in sections so the ice thickness will be unknown.

Also, traveling through a foot of snow over who knows how much slush on a 4 wheeler, you might have a long day trying to get your self unstuck. I would wait at least a week for the slush to freeze up and some ice to form underneath.

The lake has around 8-9 inches of good ice and I have been driving a JD gator all around but Hydro is right be careful I would watch out were the lakes like to seperate. and be ready to get wet, the water shoots out when you drill a hole. My perment house is sittin 8 inches lower than it was before the storm. Xmas morning i had 3 inches of water in my house.

How has the bite been? I just moved to the area and I have heard good things about the lake. I was thinking about fishing around the deep hole by the NW access for walleyes. From looking at a map, it looks like a challenging lake to pattern because all of the structure. They could be just about anywhere.

the bite has been alright with the bigger fish being shallower. I dont fish the west side often the east side is all i can handle. You may get a few one night and nothing the next 3. So much structure that you just have to keep on working them. I caught my biggest clearwater walleye just north of bugallo island in 54ft of water so i know there are some dandees over there. 27incher

To the best of my knowledge the only public access is on the west side. And the locals tell me it is almost impossible to get to the east side form there, unless you want to get wet. Maybe someone knows more then me.

there is no dnr access if you have a wheeler or snowmobile you can go across the lake and if you stay to the south side of the third island(the narrows) you are more than fine. Just make sure when you cross the narrows you stay on the point. It is never 100% safe.

there was a private lake resident that lets people launch boats in the summer for $5.00 a boat. I believe this resident does let people use the same access in the winter for the $5.00 per vechile. don't hold me to this but I did see a sign this summer. this private access was just north of co rd 24 and 39.

They close that access in the winter. There is no way on to the East side of the lake other than parking and walking.

I am the only occupant in the resort I live at on the lake and I have my own access. Although I am on the north side towards grass lake.

Wish I had a lake lot on that side. Access fee $10.00 travel on my plowed roads. just like mille lacs. pay for lot in 1 winter.

I told a ladyn she should do that to schimdt lake. She could maybe double her Social security payments. The schimt guys could make alot of money on boat access permits.

I do enjoy that East basin on Clearwater, and I think it's alot better w/out an access. Probably will be one before long, so I enjoy the solitude and fish while I still can. Vote NO ACCESS if that c/o does his surveys. Happy New Year Johnson!

I agree the east side would look like in front of BJs, pluss there would be more trucks going through the ice every year.

I fished last night and finally caught some nicer fish, plain hook with a medium shiner. out fished everything. Goood luck

Maybe if someone made a bridge to get to the other end, and charged $5.00 a day they could make some good cash. 1 of the island guys could do that.

Now Jim, I have a comment on crossing the Clearwater narrows.

I grew up about 300 yards from the point on the north side and spent many an hour out there fishing. Over the years I had the opportunity to see many people attempt the crossing, both winter and summer. In the winter I would poke my head out of the house when I heard the ice creaking and watch what was going to happen. It was surprising how many made it across, but I watched several drop right in as well. One guy in a Monte Carlo stopped, got out and looked at about 1" of ice, then got back in the car and drove right in. There is 18" of water out there, but they could not get out without the tow and at least $500 for the experience. It's probably more like $1500 now. In the summer the unaware would see the shallow water too late, then pull the throttle back halfway, plowing the rear of the boat down and end up digging a trench through the gravel. I pulled more than one to shore after that mistake.

While the north (shallow) narrows provided something to watch without serious consequence, the south side took the life of one of the guys that used to fish by me when his van dropped through in 30' of water one January evening. The Clearwater narrows is nothing to mess with in the winter.

That's why I was thinking if going over bunglo island. The next spot would be south of the east narrows. In fact that guy could maybe add a winter access.

The island in the middle of the narrows is called Eagle on the plats I have seen, and it's not something you could drive over. I believe it is owned as part of the property to the north side of the narrows. Bungalow is the name of the big island with the cabins, and we always called the other one "Camp Friendship Island" because they own it. I would say that the opportunity for an east bay access is going to be along Hwy 24 on the south end if it ever goes in. Another possibility is at the park property along the west shore, but the hill to the water is pretty steep there and the water is a marsh that would require dredging to get to the lake.

any one hear anything good on wallys or crappies? i was out by bungalow island yesterday fishin for some wallys but did not get anything but i did read some on the vexie.

There are a few guys catching a good number of eyes but they aint tellin. I have hit a few of my hot spots with notin to talk about, a few fish here and there but nothing to feed the family. All the crappies i have marked seemed to be real finiky or not interested at all. I seemed to have my best luck with Gold jigs and buckshot spoons.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Does the DNR mark the narrows with THIN ICE signs? The way it is talked about it almost sounds like something you want to pull up a chair and a Beer on a Sat, and watch people go in! crazy

I do enjoy that East basin on Clearwater, and I think it's alot better w/out an access. Probably will be one before long, so I enjoy the solitude and fish while I still can. Vote NO ACCESS if that c/o does his surveys. Happy New Year Johnson!
I don't want the Annandale Area Lakes getting more pimped out than they already are. Two accesses is plenty already. I will help vote "no" if a vote comes up through the state. That's my home area.

Leech, I have never seen either side of the Clearwater narrows marked, either summer or winter. As far as putting up "Thin Ice" signs, is that a DNR or Sheriff's office thing? If it's a Sheriff thing you would not see signs until after someone had had an incident, like on the Buffalo access recently.

Keep in mind that not only does the ice movement cause problems on the north narrows, there is current as well that keeps the ice thin and unpredictable on both sides.

99 times out of a 100 you can drive acroos with out a problem. Its when the wind starts wippin and seperates the 2 lakes, thats when people go through. Hydro is right they dont mark any thng till some one goes through.

anyone been out on the SE half of the lake? I got access, just wonering how it is on the top. Wanna drive my Dodge Dakota out, but too much slush sucks, and not enough ice really sucks. I would think the ice is over 12" now, but how is the top? Hey, any info is much appriciated, and I may give some slab quardenents to you (e-mail of course, not on here). Later, and of course, be safe.