• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Gervais Fishing Reports

I've rarely seen pike on Gervais either when we used to fish it a lot. Weird too, since it'd seem there's plenty of ideal-looking spawning habitat up on Kohlman.

30,000 pounds of carp. Think about that. I wonder if other fish could take up the biomass of the carp if they were removed from the lake.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dinomak

• MrSchrute

• mosquitoman

• jwmiller33

I noticed the same deal on the pike. It's usually a good day if I catch one on this lake. Although I got one the other day that had a good chunk ripped from the back if that tells you anything. Interesting about the carp, I drove by when they were doing that and I saw some big tails thrashing around in the sled-tubs.

There are certain times of year out there where there are TONS of Carp out there jumping around. All of the lakes in that system have a butt load of carp in them.

$25,000 worth of damage down to the access on the south shore from people using it in the winter, so they no longer let people use that access with vehicles anymore

Don't know how that kind of damage could happen they had a paved road to the beach and then sand to the lake sounds like Bee Ess to me. I realize they redid the area that was used but not due to damage from lake access.

Anybody interested in carp, we've seen plenty on the south side of Kohlman after ice-out. Might be fun in the canoe!

Don't know how that kind of damage could happen they had a paved road to the beach and then sand to the lake sounds like Bee Ess to me. I realize they redid the area that was used but not due to damage from lake access.

Hey man, I'm just saying what a guy told me on the lake when I asked the question. Dont kill the messenger

My dad went out to kohlman in his canoe before, he said he caught more bass and sunnies than he could count. No size, but constant action. I don't remember if he said anything about pike though.

My dad went out to kohlman in his canoe before, he said he caught more bass and sunnies than he could count. No size, but constant action. I don't remember if he said anything about pike though.
funny, Ive never had a nibble there.....

i have worked on and around kohlman and have seen a lot of bass and sunnies....... but like shizzy commented on - not much size to the ones that i saw.

i will probably be taking my kayak out there this summer (by the time i get off work the boat landing is already full for trailers

) and venture back into kohlman.....

I paddle my canoe there often in the summer and mainly fish Gervais, but it is non-stop action for small bass and sunnies over in Kohlman using angle worms and fishing in 2 feet of water under the shade of trees and bushes. Never had a bite out in the middle along the weedlines.

Its a lake that should have potential its connected to Gervais you would think that it it would be the spawning grounds for the Muskie and Pike that do swim there.

• 4 months later...

Is there anyone fishing Gervais from boat and what are you currently catching? Does anyone know if these two lakes are linked or are there dams/low bridges in the way to stop boats?

I fished Gervais a couple times earlier in the season, and all I saw were some carp. I pulled cranks around most of the lake and didn't get anything to chase.

It's possible to go from Phalen to Gervais in a canoe. Right now the weir dam on the channel between Phalen and Keller is easily navigable in a canoe.

I saw one guy shore fishing at Phalen and he caught a pretty big Channel Catfish.... No! It wasn't a bullhead!

The fishing has been slow on Phalen Lake but I know there are some BIG fish (tiger musky) in that lake. I’m sure if you can get on Phalen Lake with a watercraft, its good fishing. I’m stuck fishing from the shore so maybe that’s why it hasn’t been so good. The fishing pier on Phalen Lake has been slow too. Usually there should be a few pike hanging out there. I did catch a 17-inch largemouth bass by the beach area.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone hooked the rod/reel combo I lost( last spring) about 100 yards out from the beach ? eek

The location of the drop is a bit more than 100 yards off the beach wink. Went out a few weeks back with my homemade underwater video camera and only managed to spot what looked like a small 2 way radio. I'd almost be willing to give out the GPS coordinates for this "geo cache" just to see if someone could snag the sahara and quantum tour combo.

Gervais is slow. Water is too warm. Any fish that exist are laying deep. Some hits by lillypads in shallows but the fish are slow on hitting. Not exactly the lake to go to if you want constant action. Plus, the parking lot is too small for those with trailers.

• 4 months later...

We are going to try gervais saturday and have never fished the lake, does anyone have any suggestions on where to start? Thanks..

• 3 weeks later...

Tried to drive out on Gervais a few days ago... "warning: thin ice" signs under the bridge so you can't drive out. Then they are working on something on the west side so you can't park there. What gives?

• 3 weeks later...

Was out there a few days ago. Crappie action was decent. Got some 6 to 8 inch Crappies by the north end. All was caught and released. Fishing Gervais was like fishing a private lake. I was the only angler out there, which was cool.

The park/beach area is always closed winter time every year. It's becuase they don't want to plow the lot or whatever reason they can make up.