• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cattin' the Chain '10

catfreak

Oh no, sorry to hear that PB frown

Thanks for the heads up, I guess I’ll go ahead a call it a year.

Also, thanks to everyone that contributed to this thread, it was a fun year!

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DTro

• Borch

• aanderud

• Rick G

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, sorry to hear about the your accident. I think if it were just me I might chance it but not with a 4, 7 and 10 yr old. Now to try and figure out what I can do with the kids.

They are talking upper 40's and 50's all next week too. Really does look like the ice season may be over. I think I'm finished.

Still plenty of good ice but the shore line has started to pull away in places. I will be heading north from here on out in serch of huge gills. This was one of my favorite threads to follow again this winter. Big thanks to everyone who made it what it was.

Thanks everyone for the great thread. It was a fun one to follow. I would have been out today to cap off the season, but we're preparing to head out for vacation Tuesday, and it just wasn't in the cards.

can any one of you guys that live by the chain post updates as to when the chain will be completely open and free of ice. I am most interested in horseshoe and long.

will do brad, last year was 1st week in april....would expect earlier this year. have a place on the opposite end and and learning how to drive with my left foot, but will for sure let you know when the main channels break through.

I was out last night....tough to get on the lake, but the ice is still holding up pretty well. It's getting a tad bit dark (though it was dark when I was out there, so I might be wrong). I had the hip boots on, so the little bit of open water isn't much of a problem for me. I'll be going back out tonight, so I'll update for everyone.

The fish are biting, though they were a little more finicky than I was expecting. I did manage to catch one big walleye and a couple dozen or so--kept five--but was a bit disappointed to see 15 fish (nice ones, too) sitting on the ice...some guys must have completely forgot to take their fish home with them. Strange, anyways. With the temp what it was, I didn't feel comfortable taking them home--not to mention trying to explain 20 craps in my possession to the DNR.

Thanks for the update! I don't think I'm going to get out anymore this year for ice season. This weather has got my boat barking to get out on the water. This has been one of the better threads I've followed on this forum and would like to thank all those who contributed. It's been a fun season!

I went out yesterday, too....still plenty of ice if you can find a way to get on. The fish were a little finicky, though I did catch a few little catfish. Still, it's better than sitting here and thinking about fishing. smile

Thanks for the report carmike. I have been in the Park Rapids area for the last couple days chasing sunfish. The ice is still in good shape on the lakes we have been on but the shorelines are a mess. We needed two 18ft 2by 10 planks to get out yesterday. I may try to get out one more time this week in the Blackduck area then I`m going to hang it up for the season.

I drove by horseshoe today and most of the ice on the shore has retreated to about 15 feet from shore. There is atleast 3 or 4 spots that have water over the white solid line on the side of the road. if the water goes up more Hwy 22 will have to be shut down for awhile. I also stopped at the park in cold springs and the water is open in front of the fishing pier enough to try and fish. no large ice chunks mixed in but the walkway to the pier is under water by a foot. you would just need to put on rubber boots and you would be fine the pier is cabled to two large trees so you won't have to worry about the pier breaking free and floating down the river with you on it.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Lots of high water in the area for sure.

Borch,

has the water on 22 got higher yet or has the area already crested. The summer landing was under water when I went by it and the river looked to be almost completely open where it comes into the summer access.

I guess it sounds like I'll be fishing open water for the rest of the year. Thanks for the reports, guys, and I will see you all on the (soft) water!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Borch,

has the water on 22 got higher yet or has the area already crested. The summer landing was under water when I went by it and the river looked to be almost completely open where it comes into the summer access.

I haven't been on 22 but it appears the Sauk near St Cloud crested about a day ago and is slowly going down.

That would probably explain the river level at cold springs. It was up at the park where the pier is and was moving at a good speed. it didn't have to many ice floating down it so I tried to fish from the pier for a hour with no luck. I think the water may have been a little to fast for cats to be in the area but I may be wrong. Has anyone ever fished the section of the sauk from where it meets the mississippi back to the dam at cold springs. if so how was it and where would the accesses be or would it be better to access the sauk from the mississippi by launching at the sauk rapids access of the mississippi.

have never fished that area so cant really comment, but might want to try around 49 bridge at dusk. only been here a couple of years, but found most active time for the cats early in the year is 20 minutes or so before and after sundown up shallow. their probably hanging in the holes during the day.

I've fished the Sauk a lot, though not usually this early in the year, as I prefer to wade it. If you're looking for kitties, there are some big ones in there, and if you wait until July or August, you can sight-fish them. Now, how many guys can say they've been sight-fishing for cats?!?