• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cattin' the Chain '10

catfreak

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DTro

• Borch

• aanderud

• Rick G

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, addicts rationalize. Here's some rationalization that I did when I was gearing up. I've said it before and I'll say it again -- get the flasher or other sonar (showdown, or even a winter-ized summer fish finder) ASAP. It's the number 1 tool in the arsenal. Everyone does it differently -- some folks buy it all at once. Here's the order I used:

I'd bought line and hooks first. The line really has to go somewhere to keep it untangles. In a pinch, a 20 oz pop bottle is a fine place to spool it. But, since jiggle sticks are almost free and they offer a better hookset, I bought a few of those. Then I bought a cheap hand auger, since it's always better to be able to drill my own holes than to rely on kicking other holes open or chiseling them. Then I bought a cheap sonar. In fact -- as a side note, if I have jigs with soft bodies I would put the sonar ahead of bait even on my list of things to bring to the lake. Next came a power auger. This gives the ability to really find the spots on the structure you want to fish. The free DNR maps will tell you approximately where to go, but having the ability to drill lots of holes and check their depth with the sonar gets me to the spot on the spot. Next comes an ice house, because the warmer I am, the likelier I am to stick it out on cooler days and after dark. Then came fancier rods with reels. Can't tell you how many fish I've pulled in hand over hand with jiggle sticks, but reeling is more convenient. Finally I bought a GPS, and a couple years later a chip for that GPS. That's right, last in the arsenal of things to buy, and on many outings I won't even turn it on. I only recently got a chip that has more than just the cruddy DNR map of horseshoe lake on it.

The GPS is just a convenience factor. A GPS with maps is more convenient yet, but it has not even CLOSE to the value in finding and catching fish that a sonar has. The GPS and maps can't tell you any more than the sonar and drilling holes can tell you. However, the fish finder most DEFINITELY has information that you can't get with a GPS -- with the GPS you have an approximate guess as to how deep it is (accuracy depends on the map company, the lake you are on, etc). With the Sonar you have the exact depth at your current location. In addition to the realtime information of the depth, you can see if there are fish beneath you, where they are in the water column, approximately how big they are, how hard the bottom is, if there's baitfish around, how the fish are reacting to your bait, etc.

In my opinion, the sonar is more important than a power auger or a house. Since you already have both of those items, you're overdue for the sonar. So there you have it, a rationalized approach to buying a sonar. Tell the Mrs that some random guy on the internet says so smile

In all seriousness though, you will have WAY more fun fishing with a sonar. In fact, I don't go without mine, and if I get to the lake and find out I forgot it, I'll go back home to get it rather than fish without. Here's to looking forward to your stories next year after you get one!

I've said it before and I'll say it again -- get the flasher or other sonar (showdown, or even a winter-ized summer fish finder) ASAP. It's the number 1 tool in the arsenal.

Hey Surreal, was good to meet you out there. Also met up with Ice Rube (i think that was his name).

I will probably try to get out there another time or two this year. I can't say that I'm a complete addict -- only up there 2 weeks out of three. If I was completely out of control I'd have a sleeper on the lake and quit my job smile

I did that with two buddies last year over Christmas break. We went up on a thursday night and left sunday. we caught to many cats to count had three fish fries and drank alot of beverages it was quite the trip. We were on the chain but not on the meth whole. They hammered the rattle reels and everything we threw at them. Fun when ur along and the kitties are on the chomp.

I cant tell you guys how thanks full I am to have found this site. I talked my wife into going fishing on Valentines day out at the Meth hole. We cought 30+ fish in about 3 1/2 hours it was a blast.

Thanks

Welcome to Fm DogBowl. As far as the bite this evening for the kittys goes it was hit and miss for my group. While one house got right around 40 through the hole the other two houses strugled to get into double digits. No real big fish tonight and right around 1/4 were in the 11- 13in range. The house that did the best was in 24fow with a shallow bar real close the other two houses ended up setting in around 30-35 ft. I am just about done with the cats for this year maybe one or two more times out then it will be time for some pan fish.

slow night tonight. oofdah, the slower it is, the later I stay waiting for them to 'turn on' smile

Got a dozen cats or so, all but 1 of those were between 9 pm and 11:30 pm. Mixed size, 9 inches to 23 inches. Nothing huge.

Between 430 pm and 9 pm we had only 1 catfish and 1 rock bass.

Good to meet you, dogbowl and horseshoechain.

Me and my buddy were out there also.We fished 3:30-7:30 and caught 1 cat, 1 walleye and 1 rock bass. Both of us were in 30-32" Lots of lookers but they would come up to the bait and leave. We will be back next Saturday

Yep, had to stay until midnight to hit double digits. Probably the slowest night all year for us. I put the full blame square on the bright full moon (I hate that thing mad ).

Nice seeing everyone out there. Nice talking with you Horseshoechain. You have the coolest Coleman lantern I've ever seen grin

We did catch a few nice ones though:

I'm thinking about going up to the H.S. chain some day during the week this week. I fish the chain every year in the summer from my boat but have yet to ice fish it. I would feel better the first time I go if I had someone with me who knows what to do and where to go. Anyone have any time off during the week and want to go with me? We can take my truck and I have all the necessary gear.

If anyone is game, let me know and maybe we can make a plan.

We pounded them yesterday, non stop action while everyone was setting up. nothing big though still fun, never catfished through the ice before. Sun started getting low in the sky they stopped. Nice meeting ya Papa Grump.

It was like a FM get together out there the other night!

Nice to meet all you guys. aandrud and dtro, we had some laughs, huh? Hey, I know where you can get a really sweet lantern!!!

Papa Grump -thanks much for the propane.

I'm sure I'll be seeing you guys again.

A buddy and I went to the meth hole after work today, set up where the crowd was on sunday, but was the only one there tonight. marked fish the entire 2 hours we were there, but caught only 2. One was 25 inches and barly fit through my 6" hole, so that made it worth it.

Has anyone landed one over 30" through the ice? I had one on earlier this year that pulled out way more drag than the 25"er...

Will probably be heading out on friday after work anybody else going to be out there?

I'd like to make one last ice trip up there this year. It was pretty sloppy out on the Metro ice last night and with the forecast, I'm a little concerned.

If anyone could update the ice conditions up there later in the week, I would appreciate it. It might save me a trip.

Plenty of good ice for more outings. May just be a trick to get onto the ice.

This rain tonight could really mess things up at some landings.

Thinking about heading up this weekend w/ the kids, provided the rain and weather doesn't do to much damage. MAy have to just try the bay near the winter access. It would be an awfully lomg walk with 3 to pull.

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Just got back from fishing out there ice is still in fine shape for now. Water is starting to run in the holes pretty good. I advise ATV or foot travel this weekend! Only good thing about this rain is there were only a couple of us crazies out fishing! LOL LOL

I have hung up the ice gear for the year and now will be switching to fishing the mississippi from the 3 different accesses along the river in monticello. hopefully the cats will be there and cooperate with me. now we just need the rain to stop.

So does anyone know the status? My kids are itching to go and actually so am I but really can't afford to drive up just to turn back around.

water is making its way down the cracks, good and bad . Where i was the ice was not that deteriorated and extremely slippery, more on that later. having said that, i would probably pack it in....... for sure after this weekend. there is a lot of warmer water making its way into the system. I live by some current and holes are starting to open. I would not be suprised if the lake opens within two weeks. had plans to check out the accesses and ice depth,but actually slipped on the ice and broke my freaking leg this morning. never broke a broke a bone in my life till a few hours ago. getting old i guess! looks like the open water cat season just got pushed back for a little while.