• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Thanks shooter,

So I am thinking trucks are a go everywhere?

Any reports on Mazaska ice thickness, I have a few spots I would like to check out.....

Mark

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KTapper

• Reid G

• Matt C

• 7outof10

Watch out for the point off of Maplewood. Double layer of ice under the snow with around 12' of water between layers.

Watch out for the point off of Maplewood. Double layer of ice under the snow with around 12' of water between layers.

Is this the Maplewood in Waseca on Clear???

I will say there is plenty of ice on Mazaska, but I almost buried my truck this morning in the slush.

I headed back home grabbed the wheeler and back I went, if you want to fish the villages out there, drive your vehicle.

I am not for cities, if you want some freedom bring the sled or wheeler, sled would be nicer.

The Polaris with the big tires I have worked its tail off to get where I wanted to check out, drove through alot of slush and times up to 3-4 inches of water/slush.

Mark

DNR landing not plowed. 4 wheel drive a must! Even seen them stuck. Snow cover thins to around 6", 200 yards out, slushy in spots. Ice 14-18". Bite, slow...

That road out to the north end from the access on the west side of Mazaska is SCARY! Two long deep water/slush areas, & that was last Sun. what's it like now?? Call me a chicken but I turned back after going through the first stretch. Be safe.

L2f

Was out on Shields last night checking the house. The main road from the public access is not good at all. Large ruts, and lot's of water. In spots the water must have been 12". Hopefully it freezes fast or the traffic thru there will have that rutted up as well. Good news is that the water around the house froze up solid.

I'd say your a smart man, not a chicken, not to head out to that side of Mazaska. I've been out there some and have seen many large trucks get stuck for quite some time. can't imagine how bad it would be now with the water

I was out on Mazaska on Sunday and you could drive anywhere you wanted if you had 4 wheel drive. There still are some slush pockets but if you have good enough tires you're good to go.

I LOVE fishing & catching fish, but it only takes me a few seconds to decide whether the risk is worth the "potential" reward (many fish, big fish, etc.) Live to fish another day, your family & friends will appreciate it.

L2f

Any reports on Washington out from Westwood? Has it refroze from last weekend? Are the ruts passable to pull out a wheel house or are they too deep? Any slush yet?

Thanks!

German,/Jeff chain was a very bumpy ride thursday! everything is frozen solid ! Some very narly ruts out there.

• 4 weeks later...

I was planning on heading out to Dudley through the channel from kelly. I have a ford ranger with four wheel. .Is it safe? This is my first time heading out to that lake

• 3 weeks later...

I cannot urge people enough to use caution with the ice! I was on Tetonka yesterday on the west end. Got a chance to see the commercial seining (Short update: Saw a couple REALLY NICE pike, like almost 20 pounders that were plump with eggs, good condition on all the pike, a bunch of bass of varying sizes, and a ton of bluegills…all the ones that nobody seemed to catch this winter were out there, 8-9 inch fish too, a couple fat trophy walleyes, a few crappies, and a little bit of everything else).

I was on the ice for two hours. When I returned to the access, it went from 2” of water to 6-7”. Creeks are dumping water into these lakes and the surface water on the ice is eroding the ice FAST! I saw a couple water swirls, where pooled water begins to rotate and eats a hole down into the ice. The water is forced to do this since it is heavier than the ice. I saw a cross section of the ice when the seiners chainsaw out a few more blocks. There was about 6-7 inches of clear ice and the rest was cloudy. When they chisled an edge of the hole, the spud bar would go down a handful of inches…the ice is starting to rot and it will get worse FAST! Down on Lura a vehicle broke through near the access, indicating that the edges are softening up pretty fast. With more rain on the water, 50 degree temperatures, and no freezing temperatures in the night forecast for a little whiles, things are going to get worse in a hurry.

I personally wouldn’t drive out anymore. I did yesterday, but with so many trouble spots in places, you are taking some big risks!

heading out to Mazaska today around lunchtime. anyone been there in the last few days or so? wondering if i'll be ok with the wheeler or if walking out is the best option?