• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Poached Buck

nik

Sounds to me like this buck was killed fair chase-with a bow,without a spotlight and he tagged it. He poached the two deer he took before this one, not this buck. IMO he didn't do anything wrong with shooting this deer so they should give it back to him and take the other two deer he broke the law on.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Musky Buck

• Still_Huntin

• 96trigger

• Steve Foss

Man poachers would be real happy if you ran the show!

If he would of been legit before he shot the big buck he wouldn't even be in the woods. His hunting would be done for the season, on top of that he only had 1 tag. That would rule for poachers if they could poach away and save their tag for when they get a huge buck then just use the tag they been sitting on!

Thats great, Except for the little fact he admitted to being alone for every deer he shot!

Of course he'd say that, he doesn't want to get anyone else in trouble. His whole hunting crew probably hunts like him..

No wonder kids lose interest, there are too many greedy adults in our woods. I watched a pathetic hunting show last weekend, the kid had to shoot the doe and dad got to add another trophy buck to his showcase. I wish this guy would come clean as to how many other deer through the years he's taken illegally and his friends likely do the same, this one incident makes us sick, how many more deer did he take would make you even sicker. This tag saving has really hurt the honest hunter. Very few are ever done hunting even though they have a deer or possibly many of them.

I read the "party hunting". How can you party hunt with bow and arrow because each of you wouldn't know if the other has shot or not correct because there's no report of a rifle blast ? So you each take a doe, have 1 tag, just drag the extra one to the house I guess ?

You could conceivably party hunt with a bow every bit as well as you can with a gun. Every time you hear a gun shot and you only have 1 tag between the bunch of you, do all the others immediately quit hunting? Be nice if they did, but I don't think so. Just one of the many reasons party hunting shouldn't be...wait, don't want to hijack the thread and start an uproar.:)

I agree with Still Huntin, not sure we want Mr nj writing the regulations.

I don't write laws nor do I want to and I'm not sticking up for the guy but...

I think you guys are missing my point. He did nothing wrong with the trophy buck. He shot it fair chase during shooting hours and tagged it. He broke the law with the other two deer. Take a look at all the charges. 2 counts of.....

there were 3 deer shot. The trophy buck was tagged wasn't it?

So if I don't tag any deer I kill, it's still legel for me to keep shooting until I get one I like, and THAT ONE IS MY LEGEL DEER????? Come on, You can't be serious.

What I find amazing is how bitter some people become. I think it has little to do with the unregistered deer, and perhaps a little jealousy at the deer he killed.

Of course the guys behavior was illegal, but not so bad as some make it out to be. Certainly not as bad as the people who cut the head/horns off the deer and leave the rest in the woods, or the farmer who shoots deer all year and lets them lay because they are eating his crops(I have seen plenty of this personally). I wonder what becomes of the meat the DNR took from this guy. Since it is not processed at an inspected plant it likely is thrown out, certainly a worse crime than killing them for the meat and not registering them in the first place... Where is the outrage at this Wantin Waste violation by the DNR?

If he broke the law earlier and did not tag his buck, then this deer is not legit. It is an illegal deer. Be carefull you have no argument here. I understand your point but it is still illegal. Too bad a record buck won't go on the books! Maybe someday I can rewright the that goal!

Kevin

I think the word poached means something different for everybody, that's why this discussion goes on and on. For some poached means out of season, with a spotlight at night, with a rifle in bow season, trespassing, etc.....For others it may be shooting a deer with any violation of the rule book, shooting 2 min late/early, using bait, shooting 2 and not tagging them, shooting a deer that is standing 2 feet inside a posted property while you sit in public ground, etc...

Would people be in an uproar if he tagged the first two with tags with his mom and girlfriends name on it, who don't hunt...I bet that happens in every area every year.

I am not defending him, but I am saying he's not the only one. They all are wrong, but as was mentioned if this was a doe we wouldn't hear anything about it.

Maybe this case will help bring attention to this problem, which would be great. It is disappointing to see such a great deer miss out on the credit it deserves.

Sheep had it more accurate to me by calling it an illegal deer vs poached.

Well, I can't resist. I am with NJ. I am curouis to see how this plays out since the buck technically was shot legally, tagged legally and registered. I have a feeling when the lawyer gets invloved this could become a legally killed buck. Just seems like a big gray area. If the buck was shot and tagged first legally then the other 2 illegally, would that then make the buck illegal also? Will have to wait and see.

Its not legal, legally he has to tag the first buck. Making this buck illegal.

I think most have touched on the fact that rarely does anyone get caught. I think most are assuming that this guy breaks the law all the time. With the amount of violations that he has this year alone, plus the fishing one. I would have to agree.

Its not like he just decided to bag 3 deer this year on 1 tag to see what happens. We all know he does this every year and would going forward. Now does that hold up in a court of law? No. But this isn't a court of law, this is an internet forum. And unfortunately he will be tried with more by us than the court.

Stop defending this guy, I dont know why anybody outside his attorney would. Who cares about the size of the buck, this guy is bad for hunting and sportsman.

Someone should end this post, its a dead horse.

Well, I can't resist. I am with NJ. I am curouis to see how this plays out since the buck technically was shot legally, tagged legally and registered. I have a feeling when the lawyer gets invloved this could become a legally killed buck. Just seems like a big gray area. If the buck was shot and tagged first legally then the other 2 illegally, would that then make the buck illegal also? Will have to wait and see.

I see the point trying to be made here, but bottom line is that if the guy tagged the first buck he shot (with his OWN tag) he would not even have been in the woods looking for another one. It's illegal every way you look at it - he shot over his limit for antlered deer, it's a poached buck period.

I can't wait to see that thing in the DNR booth at the next deer classic - probably never lay eyes on an 8 like that in my life.

Certainly not defending the guy. We are just saying. Will it hold up in are FINE court system we have??? A defense lawyer is going to point this fact out!! Remember the DNR may have a ton of power, but it all still goes thru the courts. Like I said, will be interesting to see how it plays out.

So if I don't tag any deer I kill, it's still legel for me to keep shooting until I get one I like, and THAT ONE IS MY LEGEL DEER????? Come on, You can't be serious.

I would agree and say the tag is "used" on the 1st deer killed (especially if he did not have any additional doe permits), whether you physically punch and attach the tag or not.

If he had a single tag then:

1st deer: failure to tag

2nd deer: Poached

3rd deer: Poached

Would people be in an uproar if he tagged the first two with tags with his mom and girlfriends name on it, who don't hunt...I bet that happens in every area every year.

With the electronic licensing system and a good analyst, much info could be determined with a some effort.

So has the number of woman hunting deer declined since all the intensive harvest permits came about?

Has the number of woman applying for doe permits in draw zones increased this year?

Are there people applying for doe permits in the draw zones that have not purchased a deer license for a few years?

Whats the percentage of women hunters in the draw zones vs the intensive harvest permits allowed zones?

All this information is available if they chose to look at it. I would assume you could even pull names ...

These investigations would provide some indication of how wide spread the problem is.

good questions to be asking brittman. I know i have heard of guy buy tags for the wife kids ect. then they complain there is no deer? lol

It would be nice if that type of data gets looked at, then maybe people would quit saying that it happens so often, or the DNR would be forced to take issue with it. However, I think they only have the manpower to take on so much, this year was baiting, next year, who knows.

for the people that think this guy has a chance to get away with the big buck with a lawyer against the DNR needs to take the glue away from their nose lol.

With any illegal poached deer or whatever and if and when they're caught, I always wonder how many other animals were taken illegally in previous years by the same person and or his or her friends. This guy eventually will still get to brag about dropping a record deer and was it with certainty taken with a bow or rifle ? The worst part is if this guy knew that buck was around why would any other deer do and with slug season on it's way. The season is open so some just can't say there season is done. I'm looking into a possible poacher. Word is he gets a trophy(mature buck) every year, but the deer are poached by his feeder which a light comes on when deer approach it, word is these bucks are taken at bizarre hours of the night, maybe being milder this season, hopefully a big boy didn't show. I'm investigating as much as I can, but this bum will be turned in if I can give the CO's some solid proof. If I can't, I am going to slip the CO his name and location so they can maybe monitor this dude some. I asked him once, I've talked to him maybe 3 times in my life through an ex-friend, when do you get those big guys, morning or evening, he said the later the better whatever at the time that meant, now I know what he meant.

No one knows forsure how the buck was shot, the taxidermist thought it was legit but last report I had was DNR was going to investigate the hide and meat for any signs of gun powder or residue, does anyone know what the results are?

What was the story he told you when you measured his rack for him propster? I don't think you need to wait for him to tell it anymore!

I don't write laws nor do I want to and I'm not sticking up for the guy but...

I think you guys are missing my point. He did nothing wrong with the trophy buck. He shot it fair chase during shooting hours and tagged it. He broke the law with the other two deer. Take a look at all the charges. 2 counts of.....

there were 3 deer shot. The trophy buck was tagged wasn't it?

njpierz

Even if he did everything by the book on the big deer, the first two deer were not tagged or registered, he is over the limit on bucks and probably deer too if he was in a lotto or managed area. This makes all the deer illegal and evidence against him in the case.

Now maybe had he legally shot and registered the first two deer and poached the big one he would only be charged for the big deer but I'm not really sure. Either ways why would you want this guy to be able to keep this trophy? He certainly doesn't deserve it.

good questions to be asking brittman. I know i have heard of guy buy tags for the wife kids ect. then they complain there is no deer? lol

So, when they take a deer, do they leave it where it is and go get the person to who is named on the license they intend to use and have that person validate the tag and accompany the deer to the registration station and then home?

If not, why bother spending the money on the extra licenses?

The deer I have registered in MN across different stores across many parts of MN.

Always the same scenario:

Hand them the form. They punch it in. Done

Never have been asked for photo proof of identification, never have been asked to see deer to verify sex of the deer, etc.... I bet that I (a middle aged guy) could register a deer for a 12 year old girl without them there and no one would question it.

The only risk is if the CO stops you in the field with a dead dear and you are without a tag or the person whose name is on the tag.

That or lipping it up in the local bar.

Originally Posted By: mnguy152

So, when they take a deer, do they leave it where it is and go get the person to who is named on the license they intend to use and have that person validate the tag and accompany the deer to the registration station and then home?

If not, why bother spending the money on the extra licenses?

It must make them feel like they are just stretching the law a little bit, but to hunt without a license would be illegal and called poaching.

Geez, why did I answer the phone, now I get a report of someone I know, took 3 mature bucks and I know he hunts alone. Did he not tag the first 2 or "find" tags for the first 2 or tag any of them as he likes to muzzleload. I told the person who called you do what you think is right, he saw photo's of the bucks so it's legit. Man, I get more reports of illegalities than I seem to get lawfully taken deer or maybe they just strike a nerve in me. I just feel bad for the people that hunt that area as 2 bucks were unnecessarily downed stealing a chance at them. I do hope this arrogant guy goes down.