• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Poached Buck

nik

I find it terribly disturbing and sad that with all of the great stories floating around in Minnesota right now about deer hunting and all the legit success, that this is what people are focused on. Too sad.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Musky Buck

• Still_Huntin

• 96trigger

• Steve Foss

I'm glad people are focused on this, the more people are aware of what happened and the more media attention it brings the more of a chance this guy gets the book thrown at him.

Yeah it's bad for hunting and the public eye but justice must be served so there are less morons like this around to give us ethical hunters a bad rap.

Did you expect anything less when the biggest 8 point whitetail ever in the whole world got poached? Not in Canada,Texas, Kansas, Iowa, Wisconsin, Montana, ect. No right here in MN, right in some of our back yards.

I'm not saying the guy is a winner, he deserves everything he has coming to him, even though he probably won't care or listen anyway. It sucks, we all know people like that, and it does deserve attention.

My point was merely that ALL of our focus seems to be on this topic, very little on the good things that are happening in the state. Had this come out two months from now, I would understand the center stage. Its going to hurt more for you because it was in your back yard. I know this [PoorWordUsage] goes on down here we also need to realize that there isn't a lot we can do about it. I personally, would like to see more sting operations set up. You know, robobuck in the field, hunter pulls over fires at it, Game warden and sheriff are waiting around the corner. That type of stuff.

I agree more stings and such should be set up but I think some poachers got off for saying it was entrapment. Kinda how DNR caught the meth makers out on the lake but they got off because DNR didn't knock on the ice shack door.

It doesn't really hurt any more or any less that this buck was shot in my area, I wasn't hunting the buck I didn't even know this buck existed, I know there are alot of big bucks around here though. There were some hunters after him though that have his sheds and trail cam pics, now if I was one of them I'd be super dissappointed, in fact I'd be crushed.

The thing I'm still curious about is was it really shot with his bow or did he use a gun? Did he really hunt this buck fair but already had killed 2 other deer, or did he shoot it with a gun or spotlighting? Poaching is Poaching but I'd just like to know if it actually came into his set up or did he totally harvest it unfair.

You know, he must have pretty darn good bowhunting skills. Not surprising, I guess, if he's shooting three deer every year with his bow for several years in a row. It just sucks that a guy with that level of ability is over on the Dark Side in a big way. What a great force for the good of Minnesota deer hunting this story would have been.

To have that deer come within bow range on me. Wow.

I didn't think felons could get a hunting liscence here in Mn? With a rap sheet as long as some on here are stating, you would think some of them have to be felonies...how can he even get a liscence to hunt in the first place?

Maybe I'm off base on this but that's what I've always thought.

Either of the domestic assault convictions could have been felonies, but the media usually makes it a point to mention that if any previous convictions were felonies, and the fact that he only served 120 days on the last domestic assault conviction implies it was a misdemeanor.

That's all just guesswork, of course.

Can you believe a single word or believe any story a guy like this comes up with? Would you put it past a poacher to put an arrow through a bullet hole and add some cuts to make it look like bow kill?

I've shot some deer in my day and no one has ever investigated the hole, or even look at it, I find it hard to believe anyone looking at this buck would be looking at the hole. They might glance and say "hey nice shot" but thats about it.

Most the time when you get charged with felonies they"ll make a plea saying if you plead guilty they will drop it down. How do you think you get these same individuals getting into a bunch of trouble but never learn a lesson and keep getting in more trouble?

I'm betting this won't be a very good probation violation!

I've shot some deer in my day and no one has ever investigated the hole, or even look at it, I find it hard to believe anyone looking at this buck would be looking at the hole. They might glance and say "hey nice shot" but thats about it.

Given the way this case developed, I don't doubt the taxidermist had an inkling something bad was coming down and took a closer look at the wounds out of curiosity. I know I would.

Hard to say, we'll probably never know the real story.

Exactly. Only one person knows the real story, and I doubt he's ever going to share it completely with this forum. smilesmile

...how can he even get a liscence to hunt in the first place?

Maybe I'm off base on this but that's what I've always thought.

In many instances it is against the law to possess a firearm, but no law against buying a license.

I thought if the gun was strictly a muzzleloader and didnt have interchangable barrels that the FFL forms werent used. This must of been a recent change because I worked in a hunting dept. at a sporting goods store about three years ago and thats how it was then.

Either of the domestic assault convictions could have been felonies, but the media usually makes it a point to mention that if any previous convictions were felonies, and the fact that he only served 120 days on the last domestic assault conviction implies it was a misdemeanor.

That's all just guesswork, of course.

you can only be sentenced to 90 days on a misdemeanors in MN. for it to be 120 days, it would have to be a Gross Misd, or a felony.

0nly iowa and illinois have trophy bucks, lol. Hopefully he gets a felony so hes one step closer to prison. On a side note, not all felons should have there firearms privleges revoked. For example, an 18 year old gets arested for having a couple pounds of grass, Then pays his dues, completes treatment and wants to start a new sober life lets say maybe by becoming an outdoorsmen. but he cant purchase a firearm, hunting liscense or even vote... Just one of hundreds of scenerios in which the laws need to be open to discretion. Anyway hopefully this world class archer (poacher) goes to jail and has to pay every cent of that 19,000 doller fine. sadly he'll prolly get probation and a 1000 fine, because the fishing with an extra line wont even hardly be considered a previous problem because likly there was no conviction of any sort.

as far as the taxidermist goes, im surprised he even took it to mount, most taxidermists REQUIRE your license and registration before even handling your game, and considering all the attention a buck that big would bring, seems foolish!

follow along...the guy didn't tag the doe and 8 point buck he previously shot but he did tag and register the trophy with his 1 and only tag.

so everything with this buck at the taxidermist was legit, only problem was the guy had already illegally took 2 other deer making this one void...he shouldn't of even been in the woods.

it happens all over because of the greedy hunters that like to take bucks with archery but still want to take bucks gun hunting....the main reason i practice QDM is because i hold my one and only buck tag to the bitter end so i have a chance for my trophy...some other hunters still look for their trophy all year but take bucks in the meantime.

imagine how bad it stings right now if on this particular hunt he did it fair and legit but didn't tag or register the other deer...that will teach ya quick i bet!!