• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Outdoor Minnesota Deer Photo's

picksbigwagon

Dat right der is da turdy point buck! That canoe shot in incredible as well. I've always wanted to haul a buck across water in a boat. Congrats everyone!

Way to go guys, my theory, might be wrong but last year there was a ton of standing corn and I think a lot of decent bucks became big bucks having a place to hide from us last year some, part of the theory anyway, same with my relatives, they shot some monsters this year in corn country. Sadly, kinda, our crew saw very few, least amount of 2.5 year olds seen ever so next season might be iffy or at least not like this years kill.

NOWISER, all I can say is WOW, cool story, where abouts did you hunt, obviously its in the big woods but just wondering how far back in did you go?

That inspires me to try that next year.

mr

All I'll say is northern Minnesota, sorry, I don't want to give out any details. 3 years of looking at maps almost constantly, and countless trips up scouting to figure out how to gain access to this location, I don't want to give any information that might lead someone to find it. I will say there is about 2+ square miles we hunt that has absolutely zero sign that a person has ever been there. It is very difficult to access, and even harder to get deer out of. Good luck, and with some research I'm sure you will find an area to have to yourself with out too much trouble! I will say that it is the most rewarding hunting I have ever done in my life, by a long shot!

The last picture I'll post is what my view was while heading back yesterday morning. Not a view, or a feeling you can get hunting off an atv or truck.

full-28108-3480-pb151409.jpg

all i can say is wow! how great could it be just to camp where you were. and to make this effort and get this beautiful buck is a trip of a lifetime. good luck.

Great pic NoWiser, it really tells the whole story.

I have a little nook like that, 2-3 square miles to myself that I got a great buck on last year. No one else wants to go back there. It was a he11 of a drag, just over a mile but it was well worth it!

No worries, i don't want to know your spot. But I can tell you that we used to hunt up by Ely that had a beautiful little river similar to your picture that kept most hunters out of this section of woods, just don't know what the buck to doe ratio is and how many deer are left up in that country?

Did you see allot of deer and passed on some younger bucks because you new this was an untouched area and had potential for allot of deer, just curious?

thanks,

mr

Meat-Run,

You are right on. We are passing on all of the smaller bucks knowing that they have a very good chance of surviving to grow old. Not only that, but if we are going to be dragging a deer out of this area, it better be a nice one! In this particular area I would say the deer density is low to moderate. I saw 3 does, two fawns, a yearling doe, a spike, a smaller 8 pointer, and this guy in 6 days of hunting. My dad hunted the same number of days and caught 2 glimpses of deer besides the 10 pointer he shot. There is no logging in the immediate area, and I think that limits the amount of deer the area can support. There also seems to be a fairly healthy moose and wolf population in the area. If you have any more questions, just shoot me a message.

Now, lets see some more deer pictures!

Great deer everyone...

NoWiser.... AWESOME story and photos..... All the hard work pays off once in a while. Kudos to you and your Dad for going the extra mile or many miles to find what you wanted in a hunting experience. So.... all I have to do is a find a 2 square mile area, void of human intrusion, that is only accessible by canoe, sleep in a tent, in the cold and snow and I will shoot a buck like that ??? grin

Gonna have to think about that!!!

Congrats on a great animal and more importantly a rewarding experience!

Amazing, on another bowhunting website theres a thread about a 45 pointer that was hit by a car and the photo of that deer matches the one in back of the truck. confused No Wiser that in my opinion looks like a hunt of a lifetime and you took some fine pictures. Put up as many as you wish. Very cool.

NoWiser, I have to say that last picture is one of the best I have ever seen on this website. Great story, great hunt, and a great deer too. Thanks for sharing. Absolutely beautiful!

NoWiser... seriously that last pic needs to be in some kind of MN Promotion... "Here's what MN is about."

I'll agree with fishtrapgirl... definitely one of the best I've seen on the site.

That might be one of the coolest photos I have seen anywhere. I would get that blown up and framed and hang that right under the shoulder mount of the deer.

Wow, nice deer guys- people who think MN doesnt have big bucks should scroll through this thread, might change their mind on Minnesotas deer management

Guys, Ive been on here to look at the new deer coming in and every time I look at those two pics with the canoes and snow I catch myself staring. They seriously belong on a magazine cover.

I received a text message fwd from a hunting buddy down here in Des Moines that contained the exact same picture of the 45 point buck shown a few pages ago, but the caption below the fwd I received said it was hit by a car south of Lucas IA on Sunday morning. Not sure what the true story is I guess. Seems like there always seems to be a monster buck picture on these forums with multiple rumors...

NoWiser- Nice buck, great pictures and the story is great. The scenery is awesome as well. I've hunted areas that go long ways back and not very many people want to walk that far and there are indeed big deer and some wolves as well. I just haven't shot a nice one yet!

Here is one my dad shot on the 2nd day in Zone 2 and we've passed up this deer for two years and was only a 3x4 with no brows so this year he blew by his previous years rack adding a curl brow and G4 on his right side. Trail cam pic and the side shot.

CopyofMDGC0590.jpg

CopyofDSC00755.jpg

full-14668-3478-img956807.jpg

A guy hunting near our camp shot this. Unbelievable

Nice try! I too have a good friend from Des Moines that sent me that pic saying the same thing others here have said. It was hit by a car!

Also, I see no holes in the vitals area where a bullet or arrow could have killed it.

To everyone else, especially the back country canoe pics, AWESOME DEER! Congrats! I'm very jealous! I got 2 does this season, so I at least got some good eats, but no bone to stare at.

No Wiser and others:

If you guys want some more insight on this type of hunting, look for a good article in the November 2010 issue of NAHC's magazine. Our canoe in MN hunt is in there from 2009. I wasn't able to make it this year, but the boys took a big 12, a big 9 and passed on a bunch of 120" deer. One guy saw a "brute" that he couldn't get a shot at. When he says "brute", he means it. He's shot a few deer over 160 and knows what he wants next.

I'll be up there in May, October and November of 2011!!!!!!!!

Nice pics guys.....