• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Largest 8 pointer ever

propster

I agree Chef

I wonder what kind of trouble this poacher is going to get into? I just read an article on the news that said how poaching has been a rising problem in MN, I hope they make an example out of this guy!!

Yeah! Guilty until proven innocent. The shooter should be tarred and feathered until he can prove he is innocent!

Don't get me wrong, I hate a poacher as much as the next guy. But I certainly won't assume someone is guilty of poaching because a few people on the internet are saying he is based upon unnamed and unverified sources. Show some proof before calling someone a scum of the earth poacher.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Still_Huntin

• propster

• 96trigger

• Wanderer

Finny, Chef has it right. I was not and am not defending the hunter at all. Again, I don't know him. You all know as much as I do. Until this most recent news, which we still don't know what the real story is, I was merely saying let's give someone the benefit of the doubt until we know otherwise, just like any of you would like to have if you were the one involved. It appears that that Still Huntin's suspicions were correct, though I doubt that makes him feel any better to be right. It's a shame for the deer, and for those that were trying to take him ethically. My only involvement was in having the rack in my hands and scoring it, and letting you all know that it was real and what it scored. I would urge the DNR to enter this buck in the Boone & Crockett record books with hunter unlisted, so at least it gets its place among the giants of all time.

Truly sad and disgusting IF TRUE....amazing what an animal can do to some people.

What beautiful deer whatever the case may be.

I wish I was wrong to be honest, but once I heard the name of the hunter that shot this buck I knew there had to be more to the story.

Its a shame someone more deserving didn't take this whitetail, sorry but even if this guy would of took it fairly he wouldn't of deserved it.

I hope that buck makes it in the Boone and Crockett record book also, the deer should have recognition. I was just reading up on some others that were poached that made it in, a poached buck can make it so I'd imagine this one will, afterall its possibly the biggest 8 point buck ever shot, right in some of our back yards!

Very interesting, everybody has those people in their town if that is indeed the case, and everybody knows about them. I am not saying that this guy is that kind of person, but something about this is starting to smell funny.

I am still hoping to see a big story about it and hopefully its legit.

Trigger, yes he is that kind of guy. Everyone knows also, thats why you'll see a few people on every site telling it how it is about this situation.

I wish some of the legit folks that were trying to hunt this majestic whitetail would speak up about it and tell us some stories about him! I'm done talking about the poacher until the real story breaks.

Heck of a deer though, it's awesome what kind of whitetail bucks live in some of our areas, there are bucks like this all over they are just seldom seen. I've personally seen tons of deer over the 200" mark.

I think we have a gem down here for deer also, but I won't say that I've seen tons of deer over 200 inches. I would say plenty over 130. Which is still good.

i've seen alot of bucks around the 200" mark also...i've only seen a couple true beasts like that while in a stand but back n the day we used to go shining and we would see monsters every night...i bet none of them were seen by hunters...we would see bucks that would make the news if shot yet never heard a peep about any of them....they are just that smart....if anything they were shot on their down cycle but not in their prime.

just saw this on the news this morning.. How sad.. I hope he is brought to justice and hunting priv taken away.

Dietz, I missed the story. What are they saying is the actual reason this buck was confiscated - it was taken illegally or because of previous transgressions or previous deer were not kosher?

Here's the story:

Quote:(WCCO)Some hunters think a deer shot near Cannon Falls could be the biggest eight-point buck in the world. However, the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources is now investigating it as possible case of poaching.

Message boards were lit up as soon as the picture of the deer was posted online. A man who showed up at the taxidermist took the picture and put it online for all to see.

The 32-inch beam, 27-inch spread, classic 8-point buck weighed 269 pounds. The DNR wants to know if the buck was taken illegally. It may have been shot with a rifle in bow season.

The DNR has not said anything more about the case just yet. However, Conservation Officer Pat McGowan said when someone shoots out of season it becomes a matter of safety.

"When people are using rifles or shotguns it can pose a problem not just for hunters but for general public as well," he said.

As more and more hunters post pictures online, it's turned into a tool for officers to investigate what's could be going on in the woods, fields and water in Minnesota.

The taxidermist said the buck was killed on Halloween and brought in a few days later and he thought there were arrow marks on the skin.

No matter what may have happened to the trophy buck, the DNR says bottom line poaching takes away from hunters who do it the right way and follow the rules.

"We have a lot of rules that are there for deer hunting but they are there for a purpose we need people to follow those rules," Officer McGowan said.

The Goodhue County Attorney could file charges in the case this week. Depending on the circumstances, poachers can lose their hunting licenses for a few years and pay fines.

Finny, Chef has it right. I was not and am not defending the hunter at all. Again, I don't know him. You all know as much as I do. Until this most recent news, which we still don't know what the real story is, I was merely saying let's give someone the benefit of the doubt until we know otherwise, just like any of you would like to have if you were the one involved. It appears that that Still Huntin's suspicions were correct, though I doubt that makes him feel any better to be right. It's a shame for the deer, and for those that were trying to take him ethically. My only involvement was in having the rack in my hands and scoring it, and letting you all know that it was real and what it scored. I would urge the DNR to enter this buck in the Boone & Crockett record books with hunter unlisted, so at least it gets its place among the giants of all time.

I hope you didn't take my post the wrong way. I thought you were closer to the story just so we could hear what was going on closer to the story instead of rumors. I hope you didn't think I was calling you out on anything, I just was looking for someone that actually knew what is going on istead of bar stool talk. It is a shame that animal had to be taken that way if everything that I am hearing is true.

And let's hope its not some jealous hunters who couldn't bag this buck, spreading rumours about this guy so everyone on the Internet convicts him before any evidence of any sort is presented. That has been known to happen before. In fact, I read an article in a hunting magazine once that said if you shoot a very large record book buck, call the DNR immediately and get them out there to take a look and certify you took it legally. Because there will plenty of people ready to say you poached it out of pure buck envy. Sad you would have to do that, but that's the way the world works today. This guy may very well be guilty but so far the best evidence being presented to the public is the taxidermist saying he saw arrow marks on the buck. And just because a guy is not liked or did something wrong previously while hunting, if that's indeed the case, does not mean he's automatically a poacher in this situation.

A Goodhue County man with a criminal history has been charged with poaching a white-tailed buck believed to have the largest set of eight-point antlers ever measured.

Troy Alan Reinke, 32, of Cannon Falls was charged this morning in Goodhue County with 13 counts of illegal taking deer. If convicted, he faces $19,000 in fines, up to a year in jail and revocation of his hunting license.

Reinke allegedly shot the world-class deer with a bow and arrow on Halloween while hunting on private property. According to court records, Reinke admitted to shooting three deer in October, including the trophy 8-pointer. He allegedly shot the trophy eight-pointer after shooting another eight-pointer earlier in the month.

Pictures of the trophy buck have circulated widely on the Internet. While official record keeping organizations such as the Pope and Young Club and Boone & Crockett Cub do not officially recognize world-records for eight-point deer, Department of Natural Resources officials believe the deer possesses the largest set of eight-point antlers ever measured for a whitetail.

The DNR has confiscated the deer and antlers as evidence. The agency had them officially scored this week. The gross score was 190 5/8 inches on the Boone & Crockett scale, with a net score of 185 inches. DNR officials say the biggest eight-pointer ever shot was a Michigan deer with a score of 180.

Reinke was charged with two counts of taking deer without a license; two charges of taking deer over the legal limit; two charges for possessing an untagged big-game animal; two charges of failure to register a deer; two charges of failure to validate a deer license; one charge of gross overlimit of wild animals; and two charges of transporting an illegal big-game animal.

Reinke has previous convictions for domestic assault, theft and fishing with too many fishing lines. According to court records, he served 120 days in jail recently for his second domestic assault charge.

That is one impressive buck. Too bad it will be hanging on the wall of shame. Why would you do that?

He's a sociopath? Madoff, Petters...the list grows and grows. This is a more dangerous pandemic than H1N1!

Greed. No deer deserves an ending like that. Hopefully his hunting privileges are revoked for at least 5 years & the MN DNR can make an example out of him as this has been hugely publicized.

I was hoping for some good pics other than the skull plate that's been circulating around. I guess a shoulder mount at the wall of shame will have to do. 32 1/8" main beams with a 26" spread is most definitely impressive to say the least. I wonder if any trail cams pics will show up now?

Glad they caught him. He can have his name put on the dnr's naughty list and sit at home during hunting season. I hope he gets a little jail time and loses some equiptment as well.

You have to admit it is pretty brazen of him to show off a poached animal.

That's just sickening. I'm glad they caught him. I hope they use him as an example, and I hope any other people that are doing the same learn from this.

Some more info in the Deer-Bear-Elk-Moose forum under "Poached Buck." Someone posted a picture of the guy too.

That is really too bad. Would of been a feather in Minnesots cap now it's a black eye.

it still shows that minnesota does have big bucks and not just iowa, illinos, etc...

Don't say I didn't warn ya!

This guy is the ultimate moron everyone that knows him knew forsure this is what the outcome was going to be.

Sorry to ruffle some feathers but we knew what the truth was.

With a record like his, I'd say you'll find him back int he wood poaching nexst year, regardless of his punishment this time.