• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Largest 8 pointer ever

propster

Finished scoring it a bit ago. Taxidermist must not have deducted for either the stickers or the symmetry, but he was pretty close. Give or take a few eighths for possible shrinkage and judgement here and there, he should end up around 186. Heck of a deer. Never seen before by this hunter, but known in the area, somebody has the last two years of sheds. He blew up a little though.

32 1/8" beams, 26 3/8 inside spread, Brows are 6 4/8, G2 are 9 5/8 and 10 7/8, G3 are 11 6/8 and 12 1/8, mass 22 5/8 and 21 3/8. Deducts are 2 6/8 of stickers (2), 2 7/8 of symmetry. Gross 192, Net 186 3/8.

Ten minutes after he left another guy came in with a non-typ from Rosemount he killed last night that wound up netting 187 and some change. Work sucks!

Yeah.... we all feel pretty bad that you get to see the biggest bucks in the state up close and personal everyday... I don't know how you get through each day grin

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Still_Huntin

• propster

• Chef

• FISHINGURU

Interesting, but until there's more info, like the name of the hunter, I think this belongs in the "we'll see" category. Anyone have more facts?

"Interesting, but until there's more info, like the name of the hunter, I think this belongs in the "we'll see" category. Anyone have more facts?"

What does the name of the hunter have to do with anything? You think I made the deer, and all those numbers up? Or are you just saying in case there's any question of how he killed it? Whether it was killed by a car, shot by the hunter, or died of a heart attack, this thing is big. The buck is real and as Denny Green would say "He is what we thought he was." Likely one of the largest if not the largest 8 pointers ever killed.

Got me there Coach. You know when I said work sucks, it never crossed my mind that I was scoring antlers while at work. So yeah, little perk there. I know you understood I meant that it sucks that most of us have to be at work at instead of in the tree! smile

Thanks for info propster! cool

It's nice to know the size is validated already.

As far as the hunter, method of take, or any legalities, I'll assume it's all legit unless proven otherwise.

This is America still, isn't it? smile

"Interesting, but until there's more info, like the name of the hunter, I think this belongs in the "we'll see" category. Anyone have more facts?"

What does the name of the hunter have to do with anything? You think I made the deer, and all those numbers up? Or are you just saying in case there's any question of how he killed it? Whether it was killed by a car, shot by the hunter, or died of a heart attack, this thing is big. The buck is real and as Denny Green would say "He is what we thought he was." Likely one of the largest if not the largest 8 pointers ever killed.

Most of us have no idea who you are. I nkow I don't. I'm not calling you a liar by any means. But we've all been through the crazy emails about huge deer that have ended up not being true. So I'm simply waiting for more facts. The name of the hunter makes the deer verifiable by outside sources, that's why it's significant.

Wanderer, it is still America, at least for a little while yet, isn't it? Blackdog, I can appreciate your position. Sorry if I sound cynical about people who seem so cynical. I could have prefaced my info with the fact that I've been scoring officially for Minn Deer Classic and P&Y Club for about 25 years now. I thought it might be kind of obvious I knew what I was doing, but maybe not. There were 30 other people in our building today ogling the deer. I know it's difficult to tell from the one pic you've all seen without another frame of reference. I took a digital of him holding his rack up next to a net 172 B&C 10 pointer, which it somewhat dwarfs due to the overall larger frame, then thought better of posting it. Didn't want to have to defend it against all the armchair photo experts. He apparently took film pictures and hasn't developed them yet. Can't believe it, but that's way it is. Maybe when you see the actual deer pics you can believe it, or if you ever get to see it in person. It's truly a deer of a lifetime. It dressed 265 lbs, and he's got a brief but neat little story about the shot. Let me just say timing is everything. I for one congratulate the hunter and take my hat off to the buck for growing such a rack and surviving as long as he did, in a pressured area. Neighbors who knew the deer estimate he was 8 1/2, though based on his lack of junk I think that may be high. Glad he was killed in his prime vs dying and nobody, including us, getting to enjoy him. I have not mentioned his name, not out of any kind of desire for secrecy or mystery, but it's his story and I'll let him tell it when he's ready. I just thought I'd share what little I did know.

Propster, thank you for your post. I missed your post back on page one that you yourself were scoring the deer. I thought you were simply "passing along" information you had heard. Please accept my apology. It is definitely an incredible deer, and I offer my congratulations to the hunter.

Neighbors who knew the deer estimate he was 8 1/2, though based on his lack of junk I think that may be high.

Deer that typically sport a rack like this are lacking in "other" areas wink . There was a little info on this during the deer classic one year. Strange fact, but interesting.

So was this Buck Poached or is there PROOF it was shot Legit?? I also know the guy personally and I'll never EVER believe it until theres ABSOLUTE PROOF! GREAT BUCK....Its a shame who shot it....I'll leave it at that....

Where is all the hype? This new world record 8 point buck should be in the newspaper and on the news!!

Can anyone shed any light on the matter that the DNR now has this buck in their possession? Are they just keeping it safe or is it under some sort of investigation?

Blackdog, no need to apologize. I can see now how my post may have been taken wrong. And as for this last post:

"So was this Buck Poached or is there PROOF it was shot Legit?? I also know the guy personally and I'll never EVER believe it until theres ABSOLUTE PROOF! GREAT BUCK....Its a shame who shot it....I'll leave it at that...."

I have a question for you. How many deer have you ever taken with a bow where you had an eye witness? In all my years I can think of one - when my 7 yr old son sat with me and he rattled in a 100" 8 pt for me. I normally wouldn't shoot that class of deer, but he wanted me to take it pretty bad, and I'll admit it was good for him to see. He's been hooked ever since. But to your point, how do you figure you're ever going to get absolute proof? The only way I know is if somebody sat with him, and I'm saying that's not very likely for any bowhunter. And by the way, I'm not commenting on the hunter, his ethics, or the scenario at all, I don't know him. But as Wanderer says, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, you know, innocent until proven guilty. I'd hate to see someone come out with a bunch of negative things about any of you shooting a nice deer. My comments and appreciation are for the buck at this point.

I think what he meant by proof would be something like did he go get anyone to help track the deer? Did anyone get to see the carcass that is educated? Was anyone else in the woods with him? Where's the carcass now and can you tell if it was shot with bow? There's plenty of proof out there besides someone actually sitting in your tree with you.

Or how about his friends and family that know he already shot a buck and doe with his bow this year? Last I looked you can only harvest one buck! In a small town where you have friends and family everywhere its pretty hard to pull the wool over everyones eyes. But your right everyone is innocent until proven guilty, and even sometimes when your guilty there is no proof.

so whats up? why hasn't this deer been in the local newspaper or on the news or even talked about like still_huntin mentioned? only thing i've heard is the dnr think the deer was poached now and are investigating it....any truth behind that?

you really would think the new world record 8 pointer shot with bow in our very own back yards would bring much more hype then this...its as if it never even happened!!

One of two things:

1. Legal issues and no good press.

2. The hunter has been offered some compensation for the rights to an exclusive story by a publisher.

as soon as anyone mentions anything about possible world record, for anything, its like a huge wave of jealousy swarms over some/most people, and they can't say anything possitive about that possible record entry! don't belittle the animal by complaining how it was taken. until there is any proof of whether or not it was poached, give the guy SOME credit! with ALL record entries, they have to verify how and when, and where the animal was taken! for fish, they sample scales to verify it grew in a natural body of water ya know.

Or how about his friends and family that know he already shot a buck and doe with his bow this year? Last I looked you can only harvest one buck!

Whatever a person's opinion is on this, they have a right to it, however in MN it is legal to party hunt bucks. That does mean someone with an open tag should have been afield with him at the time.

Still_Huntin, welcome to HSO/FM. We'll see what shakes out in the time to come regarding the hunter and the take of this deer. I hope you stick around after it all settles though.

We don't like to bash folks on here (unless its good-natured wink ), especially before the truth is known. You may very well be correct in your suspicions but I hope we can leave it there until we know more.

1. Legal issues and no good press.

I think we have a winner!

Story has it DNR went to recover the big 8 carcass and found the other 2 untagged and unregistered carcass's also. So far it sounds like it was taken with bow but the hunter did illegally take the other 2 deer which means the big 8 was also illegal! There was a whole lot of meat in the freezer for no deer being tagged!!

Can anyone challenge the story? I've yet to hear one good thing come of this yet.

Was at the taxidermist today and they told me the dnr was there and picked up the rack from them. Also said they took the body/ meat from the guy. Not sure what all that was about but yes a very large rack.

Blackdog, no need to apologize. I can see now how my post may have been taken wrong. And as for this last post:

"So was this Buck Poached or is there PROOF it was shot Legit?? I also know the guy personally and I'll never EVER believe it until theres ABSOLUTE PROOF! GREAT BUCK....Its a shame who shot it....I'll leave it at that...."

I have a question for you. How many deer have you ever taken with a bow where you had an eye witness? In all my years I can think of one - when my 7 yr old son sat with me and he rattled in a 100" 8 pt for me. I normally wouldn't shoot that class of deer, but he wanted me to take it pretty bad, and I'll admit it was good for him to see. He's been hooked ever since. But to your point, how do you figure you're ever going to get absolute proof? The only way I know is if somebody sat with him, and I'm saying that's not very likely for any bowhunter. And by the way, I'm not commenting on the hunter, his ethics, or the scenario at all, I don't know him. But as Wanderer says, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, you know, innocent until proven guilty. I'd hate to see someone come out with a bunch of negative things about any of you shooting a nice deer. My comments and appreciation are for the buck at this point.

propster it seems like you know alot about this story, maybe you could help us shed some light on what is fact or fiction?

The real story should come out soon, it isn't a good sign when the DNR takes away your rack, the body, and all the meat in your freezer. It wasn't just the big 8 meat it was the other two deer he shot earlier in the year also.

All you can say is karma caught up to this guy again. Stay legit out there folks, just imagine how the best thing to ever happen in your life can turn into the worse thing in your life overnight!

I know a guy that went and registered his deer at the local station and DNR was there and they said this buck was taken illegally, they didn't go into detail about it being with a gun or bow, but either way you can't shoot 2 other deer and not tag/register them then turn around and shoot a world record 8 pointer and slide it under the rug.

For everyone defending this guy what do you got?

I don't think they're defending the guy, per-se, they're defending the right to not be judged unfairly.

This story is evelving into a similar one about the youg guys who shot the enormous Buck in Canada a few years back after legal shooting hours and had to forefit the Deer and the right to be proud of a legal hunt.

With all the noteriety these days given a hunter who bags the next "biggest" animal, the temptation to cheat is too strong for some. Greed and Ego are a bad cocktail.

I agree Chef

I wonder what kind of trouble this poacher is going to get into? I just read an article on the news that said how poaching has been a rising problem in MN, I hope they make an example out of this guy!!