• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Largest 8 pointer ever

propster

We'll hear about it soon enough. A buck recently killed near Cannon Falls that is a true 4 x 4 that reportedly grosses in the 190's and nets like 189. Previous biggest in the world I was aware of was a gun kill that went 185. I forget the state. I've seen a pic on a cell phone. It looks like it is that big, but I don't know who scored it, and whether they can be trusted they knew what they were doing. But supposedly 27" inside and 32" beams. If it is as claimed, this would be North American Whitetail cover-type stuff, so don't know how soon he'll publicize. If I find out more and he's okay with it, I'll keep you all posted. Thought I'd throw this out just to get everyone all keyed up! Good luck the next several days - they'll be the best of the year.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Still_Huntin

• propster

• 96trigger

• Wanderer

I have heard of many of these from year to year.

I will wait to see it and then decide.

Too many out there trying to fool others.

I think you'll be impressed Harvey. I know I was. Biggest I've ever officially scored was a 222 non-typ, but nowdays those are almost a dime a dozen. This as a clean typical is in a class by itself. I'm scoring it tomorrow for him and will post the stats.

I was trying to post that but it didnt work. Thats an awfully impressive rack though. The base is like a couple tree trunks.

SO you tell your buddies, Ya I shot a decent 8. And they see and they would about fall over. Thats an awesome deer.

Just received this E-mail

Possible record 8 point shot near Cannon Falls, MN

The taxidermist has measured him at 192" gross and net 189" green score. He was shot east of Cannon

Falls this past weekend. Supposedly the nearby land owners have had

sheds and trail camera's of this mammoth, but have been pretty tight

lipped about it. His last couple of years sheds showed pretty much the

same frame without the extreme mass he has this year. Don't know how

much he weighed or how old he was, but truly an old buck. It goes to

show that even leaving the 8 pointers go and grow up can really make

them something special some day.

Looks like a great deer. The mass measurements must be unreal to reach 190" (even with spectacular 32" main beams and 27" inside spread) since the tine length isn't astonishing.

Very cool that it is coming out of MN!

I can't wait to hear the story on this, the guy that harvested this buck has zero credibility. If there isn't a witness I will never believe it, neither will any of the locals.

Is it time to stir the pot and throw the [PoorWordUsage] flag on 190" for an 8pt? Pics can sure be deceiving but.....a true monster regardless of the score, deer of several lifetimes.

The buck is a great specimen, I'd never take anything away from a deer like that reguardless of score. If you knew the guy that shot it you'd throw red flags up instantly, I just hope this animal was taken fairly. I know for a fact the deer is legit the flag is the hunter.

that is quite the 8 pointer! although, it wasn't shot in MN, or at least thats what all of the MN big buck nay-sayers want you to think! grin

everyone knows there isn't any big bucks in MN...thats why you have to go to iowa, wisc, canada, montana, kansas, illinois, ect....lets keep it that way lol

Thank goodness they don't film deer hunts in MN very often. There's good bucks here, especially to the land owners that don't shoot the yearlings. You know when you've graduated when the last day of season a 6 pointer walks out and other than to look at him through the scope you already know there's 0% chance you'd take him and you'd rather eat your tag then down a future 2 1/2 year old. That is a great 8 pointer and good luck to you all deer hunting this weekend ! ..Let em go so he can grow..

Finished scoring it a bit ago. Taxidermist must not have deducted for either the stickers or the symmetry, but he was pretty close. Give or take a few eighths for possible shrinkage and judgement here and there, he should end up around 186. Heck of a deer. Never seen before by this hunter, but known in the area, somebody has the last two years of sheds. He blew up a little though.

32 1/8" beams, 26 3/8 inside spread, Brows are 6 4/8, G2 are 9 5/8 and 10 7/8, G3 are 11 6/8 and 12 1/8, mass 22 5/8 and 21 3/8. Deducts are 2 6/8 of stickers (2), 2 7/8 of symmetry. Gross 192, Net 186 3/8.

Ten minutes after he left another guy came in with a non-typ from Rosemount he killed last night that wound up netting 187 and some change. Work sucks!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• SkunkedAgain
      I've done my part to lower the lake level by pressure washing my dock all the way up to my upper deck. I figure that lowered Vermilion by at least 1/4" lake-wide....
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   This week was a great week of walleye fishing on Lake of the Woods.  In addition, saugers, jumbo perch, some monster pike and an occasional crappie in the mix!     There are three fishing techniques being used to score Lake of the Woods gold (walleyes).  First, drifting or slow trolling crawler harnesses.  In a nutshell, using about a 2 ounce weight and a 3-4 foot harness with a spinner, two hooks and a crawler.     A tip for crawler harnesses, hook the dark part or head of the crawler on the front hook.  Try to keep the crawler straight between the two hooks.  Try to leave a few inches of crawler off of your last hook and pinch off the rest.  The walleyes and saugers will still hit it, but you will create more hookups.   The second presentation is a jig and minnow or frozen emerald shiner.  Basically locate fish out on the mud or on structure, anchor up and jig.  If you are amongst fish, they will find you.     The third way walleyes are being caught, and some may be surprised about, is trolling crankbaits.  Some have put on the trolling gear when the walleyes weren't as cooperative or when the fish are spread out.  Lots of success catching good numbers of walleyes and good sized fish.     Lots of fish out over deep mud or deep structure.  The deep mud is holding a lot of walleyes in 21' - 27'.  Electronics will help you mark fish.     There is another shallow water bite still taking place anywhere from 5 - 17'.  Much of the shallow bite has to do with feeding opportunities on various minnow spawns, crawfish and hatches.  Not every walleye is targeting the same prey.  Lots of opportunities.  .   Gold, orange, chartreuse, glow and pink, or a combo of these colors, are a great place to start.   Anglers can keep a combined limit of 6 walleyes and saugers.  Up to 4 can be walleyes.  All walleyes 19.5 - 28.0 inches must be released.  One fish over 28 inches may be kept.  The possession limit in MN is one day's possession.  If you catch a limit, eat some fish and freeze a couple, make sure to count your remaining fish left over for your possession.   On the Rainy River...  With some rain in the area, the river was flowing with a strong current and some debris this past week.  Debris has slowed considerably and water clarity is starting to improve.     Water clarity is important for walleyes, saugers, pike and smallmouth bass.  Sturgeon are much more dialed into scent to find their next meal, consequently, when the sturgeon season opens again on July 1st for the keep season, things should be good.   The fishing happening on the river is focused in areas just out of the current.  Most fish will hang just off, able to grab a passing meal but not having to expend too much energy.  Current can be good as it focuses fish in areas.   Jigging with a minnow is effective when you are on fish.  Otherwise, pulling spinners and trolling crankbaits along shoreline breaks against the current in 6 - 12' of water is producing a mixed bag of walleyes, saugers, pike, smallmouth bass and an occasional crappie.  Up at the NW Angle...  Fishing for a variety of species has been excellent and is in full summer swing up at the Angle.   For those fishing out of the NW Angle, both the Minnesota and Ontario waters of Lake of the Woods are producing a number of nice walleyes.  Many fish have slid off onto deeper structure.  With that said, there are so many areas of forage on LOW, walleyes will be in numerous spots, some shallow and some deeper, taking advantage of opportunities.  Lots of fish to be had, just go fishing.   Jigging structure has been effective.  When fish are a bit spread out, pulling spinners with crawlers or trolling crankbaits is catching a lot of fish.     In this part of the lake, expect to catch walleyes, saugers, pike, jumbo perch, crappies, pike and smallmouth bass.   Muskie anglers are after it and reporting good numbers, and in true LOW style, some big fish over the 50 inch mark.  Summer patterns are starting to take hold, but fish are holding in a variety of areas still.  
    • leech~~
    • redlabguy
      We got .5” last night. Hasn’t affected the lake level yet. It’s been steady the past three days here (Frazer Bay). RLG
    • MikeG3Boat
      Water Levels I believe are now at a record high with all the rain last week, and more fell last night.  I hope it stops raining soon for all the people who have businesses and live in the area.  Water can do so much damage.
    • MikeG3Boat
      MarkB, Where did you find the perch?  I would love to get into some of those.  MarkB are you fishing more on the east or west end?
    • MikeG3Boat
      Where are the water temps now with all the rain?  Coming up for a week on Friday and want to see what I can find out.  I have had a very poor fishing so far this year.  New to the area and just can't figure it out.  Home is on the west end of big bay.
    • smurfy
      👍 dang that walleye is dark?????they all that dark out of that system?????
    • leech~~
      I think you got it! Nice Eye and hog Perch! 👍
    • MarkB
      I'm gonna try this picture thing again. Please bear with me.      Our buddy Greg with his best of the trip.     Above: Pike River bridge the morning we left.        Below: My cousin Tim caught these the morning after the storm.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.