• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Miltona Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions

Hi Blackhawk,

I checked out most of the accesses yesterday and most of the roads on the lake are ones that people have plowed to get out to their shacks and don't allow much room for anyone else. All the traffic I've seen has been on roads, so I would bring the sleds for sure. It's amazing how few shacks are out there this year. Walleyes are in deeper water. We've had the best luck in 30-35 fow at sunset and before sunrise. The ice is thick so you may need an extension in spots. It's supposed to warm up so hopefully the fishing will be even better!

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VikingBayAngler

• MBRAGuy

• Chad Peterson

• eagle_3464

Was out on the lake this weekend but trip started out bad from the get go. Brother in laws cabin was 22 degrees when we arrived. Gas man must have refilled the LP and never turned the valve back on. Travel on the lake is pretty tough with all of the snow which made exploring the lake difficult. We caught quite a few little perch and 1 walleye in the morning and then tried Lake Vermont in the afternoon. Bring your auger extension. Barely made it through without one on Miltona. Snowmobile, tracked four wheeler, or truck and a plow are about the only way you are going to get around the lakes in the area. Had fun but didn't spend as much time fishing as i would like with the clean up in the cabin.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear about your cabin Blackhawk. I think everyone has had enough of the arctic weather. We pulled the perm off on Monday now that walleye season has ended. Looks like we'll be fishing out of the portable for now on. I'm looking forward to some late ice pan fishing and maybe throw some tip ups out for pike. Anybody been up in the weeds yet? With all this cold weather it might be a while before the crappies & gills are up shallow again. Sounds like we'll have plenty of ice around for a while.

VikingBayAngler, unless you plan on throwing tipups out for the May opener, Northern Pike are now closed for the season. They closed last weekend along with walleye. Just a friendly FYI.

Thanks HossFisher for catching that. I did know that, but must have been out in the cold too long yesterday and suffered a brain fart when I made that post. I'll stick to the panfish!

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody been out on Miltona lately? how is the panfish bite? Looked like a few people have been fishing near the West access in that shallow bay. We lost a lot of snow on the lake & should make getting around much easier.

• 1 month later...

Hey VikingBayGuy.....How is the Ice situation...any open water in site from where your at??? Thanks.

MBRAGuy....

With nearly 3/4" of rain yesterday the ice has really pulled away from the shorelines. Most areas are 50 yards or more away from shore and it is raining again today. With lots of wind in the forecast I think its going to go quick from here. I don't think it will make another week to hit my earlier prediction of May 2nd.

Ice went out on Miltona and all of the Alex area lakes Saturday....Lot's of rain this week should warm things up and get the fishing season going strong, i am expecting a GREAT OPENER!!!

Amen to that...what a difference a year makes, lets hope that the awesome bite we had all winter carrys over into the opener.....

Sorry MBRA I haven't been on the forum for a while. The lake is sure going to be at a nice level after all this rain & what's with the East wind for 3 days? Should be a good opener!

I hear you, at least the east shoreline is not getting the mess a west wind would make, we will count our blessings, should see the crappies move into the bay here soon, this rain will help I think stir things up, with a few days of sun maybe this weekend we can get after them....looks like a great season ahead!

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody have any luck on opener? What were the water temps looking like?

Few small walleye, one 14 inch, lost a nice one at the boat.....pretty cold yet..43 degree water out on the main lake, 46-47 degrees in the bay. Good to get out finally and actually the weather was the best for an opening weekend that I can remember...fishing shinners/fatheads, crappies not in the bay yet either. Need that 50 degree water to get things going!!!

Oh, and everything we caught was shallow, 6 foot of water or less. Most of the action near the Irene inlet, it's flowing pretty good right now.

Thanks for the great report. I haven't had a chance to get on the water so I appreciate the input. I'm looking forward to when things start to warm up around here!

Heading up tomorrow! Excited to get this season started.. fingers crossed for decent weather and lots of action.

SOO I've fished the central/east side of the lake every time I've gone up to Miltona with real good luck,,, curious tho- am I missing out on anything on the west side of the lake??

It's all good Jim....Miltona produces fish on every shoreline..the west end is a small lake unto itself, great structure to pitch to on tthe shorelines there also, concentrate on the the larger points and you should do alright..again the Irene inlet is a good bet on the NE corner also. Live bait rigs/spinners with shiners, leeches are just starting to go....good luck! See you on the water!

Water temps last weekend were upper 40's still, would venture a guess that they are probably 50-lower 50's currently.....the warmup this week will get things going for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

This is our 3rd year on Miltona. We have no luck fishing Walleys during the day. Does anyone have much luck out here during mid day? I'd so, what are you guys fishing? Deep holes, weed lines,? We'd love to have some daylight luck.

If you can find a rock pile with scattered weeds you can usually find walleyes using slip bobbers or vertical jigging. Doesn't have to be super deep. We've had luck in anywhere from 14-20 fow. But sometimes it's just plain tough during the day.

I would suggest hiring a guide. H&H Guides are familiar with Miltona and mainly guide for walleyes. Tell Drake that you want to learn the lake and how to fish mid-day walleyes. Ask him to show you what to doing starting in late spring, then summer patterns and finally fall patterns. The money spent will pay dividends for seasons to come.

I have had luck with crankbaits (deep divers 10-20 ft, #7 and #9 shad raps are good) along the drops, on Miltona there is a very pronounced flat to deep steep drop off on much of the lakes eastern half, I stay right on the edge at 20-21 feet and you can troll that for literally miles!!! (Navionics Lakemap Card a Must for this) picking off fish during the day is good all season long! Just know that you will snag every game fish in the lake this way, walleye, Pike, muskey, smallmouth and largemouth bass, rock bass, slab crappie's, even jumbo perch have hit the trailing hooks at times!!! You will see the flats thsat top out at 16-19,20 feet just stay on the edges!!! Don't worry about having your bait neer the bottom those cotton pickin fish will rise up to smack that bait, you can count on it!!! Good Luck!!!

MBRA that sounds like a blast to me! My favorite is walleye, but if I can catch multiple species on an outing that is about as fun as it gets!!

• 3 weeks later...

I will be heading to lake Miltona this weekend and have only fish it once and that was for a hour or so . If some one could tell me a depth to start at that would be great ! I will be trying for walleyes in the morning by my self and pan fish latter in the day . Leeches or crawlers ?

Sportfish your in luck, here's the report, crawlers first leaches second, slip bobbers on the deep flat edges 18-22 ft "early" morning and "last hour" evening bite is best, lindy rigs with crawlers and spinners deep weed edges during the day, or trolling crankbaits deep edges works during the day also...key for day fishing is to "keep moving" along the edges adjacent to the deep drops 17-24 ft of water best! #9 shadraps great choice in fire tiger, DT6 Fatraps also for shallower 10-15 trolling....As far as the panfish are concerned you have to find the cabbage weed stands and then get right in the middle of them, make sure you slip bobber to get the bait near bottom deep into the pockets and openings, big gills. Going good over our way "Schulstad Bay" NE corner of lake near boat launch, should give you a fish fry and a chance at a HANGER!!! Enjoy your stay on Miltona she's won't dissapoint you! God Bless and Good Fishing!!!

• The title was changed to Lake Miltona Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions