• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Miltona Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions

I was gone for several days but it appears the lake has finally iced over completely. Some larger wheel houses are making their way onto the ice. Use caution and check the ice often as there are large areas that have frozen just recently.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VikingBayAngler

• MBRAGuy

• Chad Peterson

• eagle_3464

Hey, are they driving out on the lake yet? Vehicles/trucks??? How is the walleye bite, depth, presentation, etc.....be up this weekend to take advantage of the warm up, does anyone have a recent report for Miltona? Thanks.

I will be on the lake Saturday. I will make sure to let ya know the exact GPS coordinates of where I catch my fish along with everything else...

There are many wheelers on the ice, but haven't seen many pick ups. Most people are using ATV's. The walleye bite has been inconsistent, for me anyways. We've picked up a couple nice eater size fish in 8fow-14fow mixed in with large numbers of perch. We've been using jigging spoons tipped with a minnow head and even picked up a few pike using that same presentation. The walleyes we have caught have been fat and slightly larger than average. I have a feeling you could catch alot of the smaller eyes in deeper water, but so far seems like the larger fish are combing the shallower areas feeding on small perch. Good luck!

Just found this post! Copied and pasted my post earlier, figured I'd get a faster respond being the post is in the right spot! wink

"Wife and I thinking of going up to Woodland resort with our kids to do some ice fishing. My wife's brother, his wife and kids coming to meet us there. They're from North Dakota. Wanted to have a "halfway" point where we both families could drive about the same distance. We only get visit at least once a year. Would like to try this "halfway" point, to visit and fish at the same time!

We know nothing about this Miltona Lake's ice conditions or structure. Wanted to get as much info as we can. Looking to go up on the week of Dec. 31st till Jan. 3rd.

Looking for panfish, crappies, and walleyes. We'll be bringing portables and pulling our sleds to spots. Not sure if it's drivable yet? Any info and tips would be greatly appreciated! smile Happy Holidays to all! smile "

I've never Ice fished there, but Woodland resort is pretty nice. They will treat you nice. Beware the 50 stairs to get from your cabin to the lake though.

50 stairs!? I'd better stay on the ice till I'm done then!

Wish I'd know what's the ice thickness there on Miltona Lake. Thinking of bringing my side by side, don't wanna haul that if Ice isn't all that great. Don't mind pulling sled/portable!

There are wheelers and side by sides moving around on parts of the lake. Some areas have 15" but I have heard that other areas have as little as 3" to 5" so you'll want to be checking as you go. I plan to get the wheel house out there this weekend but doubtful I'll get to where I want to be. Avoid the pressure ridges and deep water areas as those were nearly 3 weeks behind to cap over.

Looking at the forecast, we should be gaining good ice after Christmas when you are planning your trip.

• 2 weeks later...

I was up this past weekend and things are in great shape as far as the ice is concerned, I was able to drive around the entire lake and fish, had anywhere from 10-14 inches of good solid ice everywhere I went. No snow cover and the colder temps have kicked the ice fishing activity into high gear...good fishing report!!! Walleyes were found along the usual summer break locations on the edges in 18-20 ft of water during the evening hours, also found fish deep during the day in 40-42 ft of water....lot's of keepers, wound up with 6 for the ice box, threw the rest back, used glow red buckshot spoons tipped with a fathead, and dead sticks w/bobbers with a small shiner minnow.

Love this lake!!!

Can't catch a fish if your line ain't in the water!!! Good Luck!!!

MBRA's report is quite accurate. There are now full size trucks driving most of the lake. We have been doing well during the early evening in 17' to 20' but have also heard fish being caught at the 12' to 14' range. Wife has been doing better than me with a pair of deadsticks. Most of my fish have come on a blue and glow buckshot. The nicer fish have been on the buckshot but quantity has been on the deadstick. Wheelhouse is back out and no concerns crossing the lake. Only problem is the lack of snow to bank the house. Make sure you have ice cleats if you plan on moving around on the ice. Find the perch and the walleyes will be coming. Good Luck.

Are there any generous souls out there willing to give an updated ice report on Miltona? Think a halfton with tandem axle wheel house be alright? I've never fished it before but would love to give it a shot this weekend.....

Thanks fo any info!

Eagle, hears my last report from last Sat/Sun....I was up this past weekend and things are in great shape as far as the ice is concerned, I was able to drive around the entire lake and fish, had anywhere from 10-14 inches of good solid ice everywhere I went. No snow cover and the colder temps have kicked the ice fishing activity into high gear...I am sure with another week having gone by and no snow cover that there is a good 14-15 inches all over....I saw a couple trucks your size out there parked beside their fish houses. good luck.

Not going to say you are totally safe because ice is always unpredictable. That being said, after dark last night I had a huge rig pull past me. It was dark so I couldn't see how big but based on the clearance lights it had to be over 20ft.

Fishing wise, the last two evenings have been pretty slow. The ice is really groaning so that may be keeping the walleyes out deep. You can catch all the tiny perch you want during daylight hours.

Good Luck and be safe.

Went to Miltona on the 1st. Early morning set up in 17 fow, and couldn't mark anything but a ton of perch. Got fed up and went out deep. Around noon I got my first eye in 36 fow. Bite was consistant until 4pm. Caught about 10 eyes, nothing over 16". Went in shallow for night bite. Perch were crazy until 4:45, then Marcum went completely blank and a wally smacked my darter. Lost her after a quick struggle. Walleyes bit on rattlin' flyer with shiner head.

• 2 weeks later...

I made the trek today from St. Cloud and fished from 11-6:30pm without a walleye. The perch kept swarming my baits. I had small perch hitting my #7 Jigging Rap and even had one inhale a 4" shiner! Anywho it was frustrating but understandable as it was my first time fishing the lake. I fished anywhere between 12-24 fow, focusing more between 14-18 fow around the north access. Maybe should've ventured out deeper to 36 fow like SARTELLANGLER05 did during the day. Anyone else having luck on Miltona? Any spots they can share or a chance I can tag along with you this coming Friday or Saturday? Please PM me. I'm really itching for a limit of eyes.

Thaddeus- I would suggest going deeper, more in the 28-35 feet of water range. Seems like the eyes have been turning on at about 3pm and the bite seems to last a few hours. I would suggest trying to locate and inside turn or any type of small structure you can find off a main point or bar. Sometimes moving 10 or 20 feet on a spot can make all the difference. The recent cold snap seemed to really slow the bite down a bit, but things should pick up this weekend with the warm up. The great thing about Miltona is all the spots can be good it's more of what depth they are located at and how active the fish are. Good luck.

Based on the barometer and wildlife activity last evening I would have guessed the bite would be good, unfortunately I couldn't make it out. Going out tonight so we'll see how the weather change has affected the bite. Monday evening I saw plenty on the camera but most were tight lipped. After watching plenty swim right on by the camera I actually moved shallower about 2 weeks ago. I was in 22ft and now I am at 14ft tight to the weed edge. Unfortunately, the bite where I am is short lived at about 1 hour. When the perch begin to move out get ready and make sure you have fresh bait on and keep it moving. Buckshots have been my go-to lure. VBA is spot on, 10ft can make all the difference as witnessed from one end of the house to the other. Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Not a lot of action on the forums as of late. Not unlike the inconsistent bite many of us have been experiencing. Many wheel houses have been doing the mid-winter shuffle trying to stay on active fish. Walleyes can still be found in the normal hot spots but have been tight lipped. We've been seeing many walleyes on the camera that are showing little interest in live bait presentations and vertical jigs. Time to reach down deep in the jig box and look for something different that may trigger those pesky eyes to bite. Anyone else having better luck?

The last three times out there it was easy to catch a limit of 14-15" fish. Nothing bigger though. 36 fow. Fish hit both chubby darter and rattlin flyer with minnow head. Last time out was almost 2 weeks ago though...

Has anyone checked out the Northeast bay on Miltona? How is the access on the East side of the lake? Looking for a spot to spear this weekend. Thanks for any input.

There are a few houses out there, there is a large ice heave just off the landing, but you can still drive around it from the access. Probably a consistent 20+ inches now across the main lake, more in the bays. Spearing on the point there good also this year. Water ultra clear this year.....be careful of those pesky Muskie!

Still getting plenty of keepers from 40 foot of water for first couple hours of day light...They go on a good bite right when the sun hits the tree tops...look for 40 foot shelves off the flats leading into the deeper holes...been a consistent producer location this winter. Getting plenty of 15-20 inchers here. Unfortunately you have to keep everything coming from these depths...only 2 weeks left so the season is coming to an end as quickly as it started...all in all it has been a great winter for ice fishing, really cannot remember a better one myself....

Thanks for the update MBRAGuy! I'm surprised there are only a few houses in that bay. Do you think it is because of the ice heave? Last year there were about 20 houses in the bay spearing/pan fishing. So the ice should be fine driving along the heave? Can you give me any type of direction on the points you are talking about? I'm bringing the wife and kid with and would like to see some fish to keep them interested. So fun to see those Muskie's float through!

Thanks again!

We were set up in 27-32 feet of water last night and saw a lot of fish on the camera moving through right at sunset. We were sitting on an area between two points where it was an obvious point of travel for fish. Only one fish showed enough interest to hit one our baits which was a little frustrating, but seeing the walleyes move through on the camera was fun for me and my boy. We had several fish come up to our baits as if to strike, but simply dive back down to the bottom. Wouldn't even hit a deadstick with a lively minnow. Guess that means we'll just have to go back out and try it again.

Was out on the ice this morning and talked to the local DNR. I guess some guys had some luck after the sunset bite from 10pm-1am last evening. Maybe not a bad idea to stick it out a little longer than normal!

We experienced a good bite this past weekend. Dangling medium size shiners did the trick, but i'm sure various presentations worked just as well.We happened to be set up on a hump that topped out at 30-34 feet that was surrounded by deeper water. Looks like many houses left the lake this weekend as we near the end of walleye season. It should be a good last couple weeks of fishing!

Vikingbay is there any limitations on lake travel, plan on coming up with the wheel house this weekend just wondering if there is anything that I need to know, thanks!

Just be aware that you may have to check several accesses to get the wheelhouse on. We've experienced some more ice push recently that may make it difficult to get a house on. The North access "Sandy Beach" has worked most days when other accesses have heaved, so I would give that a try first. There hasn't been much snow on the lake, but it is snowing today.Ice thickness is 20+ inches and very hard. I'll try and post a report on Thursday once I see how the accesses are and what we end up with for snow totals.

• The title was changed to Lake Miltona Fishing Reports - Ice Conditions