• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Tarvaris Jackson

OIF_Veteran_21B

• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FISHINGURU

• Rick

• james_walleye

• zepman

Well, I will say with only (12?) a dozen starts under his belt, with only being in the league 10 years & 4 (or 5?) NFL teams, he seemed to pull it off in a first game preseason. Not an easy game to play even a quarter in.

Just funny it takes a coach like Chilly to "find" a starter QB like Sage. You would think he would have been found and starting 8 years ago?

Limit you may be right in Sage as the 2010 starter. That, or we just saw the most expense infomercial in broadcasting history. grin

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

How can they not start Rosenfels if Favre retires? He's clearly the superior QB. Nice touch on his passes, reads the defense, and gets the ball to the receiver's hands (not his feet).

utf-8BSU1HMDAwNDQtMjAwOTA4MzEtMj-1.jpg

Wow, cool to see you are a Vikes fan LMIT. laugh

Unfortunately for you LMIT and FG Sage is being showcased to trade to another team frown

Doesn't bother me, but it really should Vikings' fans.

Another 50 years of ineptitude I guess.

H-Birthday Josh.

I would trade T-Jack.

But Chilly has his blinders on and who knows what he will do. The golden boy T-Junk will be kept and SR may go. Heck, maybe Chilly should be the one to go but they may not get anything for him.

Too bad for the Vikes.

The coaches have treated Jackson like he was a HOF of Manning's status during every pre season so far instead of making him take the reps to give him the experience he needs under center. This year looks no different in that regard so if we end up going into the season with him under center and he is not ready to play at a high level there will be one person to look to. To me there is no reason not to play at least the first quarter and get some decent reps with the first unit. If there is no more time needed than that they should just forget about the preseason and add 2 more games to the regular season and be done with it.

Sage looked good now that he was given time to work the rust off and get into a groove. I agree they have the wrong one on the trading block.

I was thinking the exact same thing last night when they took TJack out so early...doesn't make sense. He needs all the reps they can dish out!!

I'd guess Sage will start the next game like the starter just doing a few reps then Junkson will come in and see what kind of groove he can get into, it would only be fair.

I'd rather have Webb then Junkson, he looks way more poised then Junkson in his first 2 minutes as a pro then Junkson does after a handful of years.

As well as Sage played, they will be forced to let him play again.

The bigger question maybe, when Farve comes back, which of the 4 QB's will go?

That will be a tough call.

T-Jack has clearly showed the the Team and coaches he is a better quarterback than Sage who is a serviceable back-up at best.

Nice try though...pretty funny how some posters are using a Pre-season game to make this determination when T-Jacks near perfection in his last few Pre-season games meant nothing to the same posters..

T-Jack is the back-up to Favre or the starter if Favre doesn't play... Deal with it!

T-Jack has clearly showed the the Team and coaches he is a better quarterback than Sage who is a serviceable back-up at best.

Nice try though...pretty funny how some posters are using a Pre-season game to make this determination when T-Jacks near perfection in his last few Pre-season games meant nothing to the same posters..

T-Jack is the back-up to Favre or the starter if Favre doesn't play... Deal with it!

In a nut shell what you are saying then is if a certain QB retires that we are stuck with 2 serviceable backup QB's at best and a long term developmental player who may be better suited as a WR.

I feel a calming sense of contentment settling in across the land of purple....

No sage is a back up and they are a dime a dozen. T-Jack inspite of the lack of cofindence many have with him still has some upside or potential.

Yeah I know most of you have made up your mind on T-Jack but I have not...

So deal with him being around a while longer.

No sage is a back up and they are a dime a dozen. T-Jack inspite of the lack of cofindence many have with him still has some upside or potential.

Yeah I know most of you have made up your mind on T-Jack but I have not...

So deal with him being around a while longer.

What have you used to form your opinion of the two. One we have seen for going on 5 years in all sorts of situations where he has not performed and one we have seen barely at all for one. And yet that is the one you are totally certain on while the other one you want more time to evaluate?

No matter how bad the Rams are Sage still had over 300 yards passing and TJ has NEVER thrown for 300 yards in his professional career.And he faced Detroit multiple times in the past few years when they were the worst team in football and his numbers never came close.

Believe me, I am not a fan of sage being a long term starter here either, but if you look at their skill set and how the offense is supposed to be run, then to me Sage looks like the better backup of the two(Which I feel they both are) and Jackson would be better served as a backup to a team like Pitt, Dallas, Oakland etc where they don't run the WCO. JMHO

I'd guess Sage will start the next game like the starter just doing a few reps then Junkson will come in and see what kind of groove he can get into, it would only be fair.
My guess is they were showcasing Sage to be traded. T-Jack is the better QB so the Vikes will keep him. Webb looked pretty good against the third stringers. I really liked his accuracy and ability to move around. Needs a bit of work but did look good. smile

T-Jack has had a year to watch one of the best quarterbacks of all time prepare for games, play in games first hand, and win those games when times get tough. Yea Favre blew it in the saints game but he had the confidents to throw across his body and go for the gold. Sage was often the guy on the sidelines talking to brett and telling him what he saw out there.

You can't say you played under brett favre on a team and didn't learn anything... Sometimes it takes a demonstration to know how to run the show on a NFL team... Tavaris just needs us to have his back! Give him a shot maybe he'll take our NFC championship jynx away!

Some say T-Jack doesn't have the "Brains" for it...well.. if sage can help him like he help favre see what the defense is doing on the field... there's his "brains" of the operation right there and maybe he'll just pick up on his own!

I also liked Webb. He has great feet and he can throw a nice ball. I really can not wait to see him play again. Hopefully they use him a little more in the next game.

The only thing with Junkson that is proven is Chilly is scared to admit he's a failure.
Or you're afraid to eat your crow laugh

First off, Thanks for the B-day wishes guys. smile

Now lets get back to the grindstone of non-reality. grin

This Jackson verse Sage drama is getting old and border line weird.

Jackson started the the first Pre-season game as the started. Enough said as to who be starting in an event Favre does not show. Like a fool would think this. Point blank, supporter or not, Jackson is the man by tradition, unless an injury occurs. Like Pier said, its happened, happening, done, over with, point made, no game tape of, is done. T-Jack is our starter unless Favre does show, the world ends or he pulls another groin muscle. wink

Purple Floyd you have ment 3000 yards? Check your stats! T-Jack has over 4000 yards logged, passing and rushing. Sage has, oh wait! confused After 10 years in the NFL whistle, Sage does not even have any Pro NFL, let alone Canadian, stats to even compare anything to. Let us see? Hummmmm! His yardage on this awesome performance last Saturday of a Pre-Season game was against what string? It's good to know we have a backups, before being traded, that can play "good", I will give you great, against other teams backups.

Yeah! I want Sage on my home team as a starter. smirk

How did Sage stack up against the fist string? OHHHHHH! Once again! Where are the stats? I will let you guys look them up. I tried to even find an article yesterday day about the rave performance Sage rolled out Saturday, but all I could find was articles about Jackson and even updates on the Favre front.

Once again, this debate is getting old, border line weird. Another proven NFL QB who has Pro stats, I will back down. Sage? You guys are giving a ton-o-credit to Chillypopper for "breaking" an NFL QB who has escaped the "dusting off" from about 4-5 NFL coaches and over 10 years.

I am glad for Sage. He is on his way out and he played like he knew it. Hopefully it gets him some props and a couple more million. Good going to Chilly for doing it. Most guys who have played in the NFL for 10 years, but not as a real NFL player, are lucky to get even a new car salesman job, because they were released with no showing. Chilly got Sage some money by doing it up Saturday. IMO that is a pretty good coach who has a heart and does show he cares. smile

By-By Sage, hello Jackson starter & Webb backup. smile

I almost wish Favre would not show just to get this debate closed.

Correction:

Do not want to knock the guy anymore than I have, being an NFL QB and all.

I did find a website that actually posted some Sage stats after 10 years in the NFL. Rushing and passing, he is at 4260.

T-J is at 4100+ (P & R) after being with the Vikes since 06' (I will give you 06', but what he played that is year as a fresh drafter rookie is an extemely long stretch) as a (cough, cough) starter.

Maybe Sage is better? confused

I just hope for the Vikings sake, that Favre shows up for one more season. Why they didnt draft a good QB this year is beyond me. They better next year! There isnt a QB on our roster that will be on this team next year.

I think there IS a QB on the roster that will for sure be here next year. His name is Joe Webb.

I think there IS a QB on the roster that will for sure be here next year. His name is Joe Webb.

Ok, I will reclarify, a QB of starting caliber.

Purple Floyd you have ment 3000 yards? Check your stats! T-Jack has over 4000 yards logged, passing and rushing. Sage has, oh wait! confused After 10 years in the NFL whistle, Sage does not even have any Pro NFL, let alone Canadian, stats to even compare anything to. Let us see? Hummmmm! His yardage on this awesome performance last Saturday of a Pre-Season game was against what string? It's good to know we have a backups, before being traded, that can play "good", I will give you great, against other teams backups.

Yeah! I want Sage on my home team as a starter. smirk

I almost wish Favre would not show just to get this debate closed.

No, actually I meant 300 yards. Sage threw for over 300 yards in less than 3 quarters Saturday and what I said is that TJ has never thrown for 300 yards in his pro career. Not in preseason. Not in the regular season. Certainly not even in the post season.

Yes, Jackson has compiled similar stats in a shorter period but then again until Jackson I have never seen a QB who was so lowly regarded by the league but so quickly anointed by the staff after proving so little. If you do like stats you might look to 2008 where Sage did play for 6 games due to the starter being injured and you will see that 3 of those games resulted in sage passing for more yards than TJ has ever thrown for and all 6 would be in TJ's top 10.

So why does Tj have all of this experience? Because the coaching staff made a commitment to him even before he was ready to play. He had no business being handed the starting job in 2007 but the staff was so confident they only brought in the likes of Kelly Holcolm and Brooks Bollinger to compete with him.You can be sure the cream really rose to the top in that competition. Then the next year when he still wasn't ready they proclaimed him the starter and brought on Old man Gus as the backup and stated there would be no competition and that Tj was the starter. I was at the second game of that season and after watching the way he played it was no shock that Gus was then named the starter for the remainder of the season, a position he only lost because of injury.If sage had been handed the reins of a team and coddled that long I am pretty sure he would have TJ's stats beaten.

And since we are talking stats, check what TJ's career stats are Vs. what Brett did just last year and you will see what we should be getting from the position.

So no, I really don't want Sage as the starting QB for the team but similarly I don't want Jackson to be the starter either. The problem is that except for one guy who lives in Mississippi that is all we have to choose from and I have seen enough of TJ's lack of performance to tell me that I don't want him.

Correction:

Do not want to knock the guy anymore than I have, being an NFL QB and all.

I did find a website that actually posted some Sage stats after 10 years in the NFL. Rushing and passing, he is at 4260.

T-J is at 4100+ (P & R) after being with the Vikes since 06' (I will give you 06', but what he played that is year as a fresh drafter rookie is an extemely long stretch) as a (cough, cough) starter.

Maybe Sage is better? confused

Well, my guess is if sage had been given a starting job without any real competition for as many years with the same team he might have had better numbers.

Are you going to tell me that if things were reversed and TJ would have been in Houston that he would have beaten out Schaub for the starting spot?

Of the SB caliber teams in the league right now, how many would trade their starting QB for Jackson?

What have you used to form your opinion of the two.

Quote:
Well, my guess is if sage had been given a starting job without any real competition for as many years with the same team he might have had better numbers.

So why repeat the above? No, I am talking Jackson is what is being used wink . IMO I would rather have a young unexperienced, yet with coaching backing him, QB than a hand-me-down, next to retirement, never made center stage, let alone hall of fame QB.

Originally Posted By: PurpleFloyd
Of the SB caliber teams in the league right now, how many would trade their starting QB for Jackson?

I would say their would be more willing than if it was for Sage. smile

Quote:
And since we are talking stats, check what TJ's career stats are Vs. what Brett did just last year and you will see what we should be getting from the position.

Ok! It's officially gone weird in this thread. grin

"> " type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

I still CAN NOT believe we are still debating this in here.

I agree with 4WE.

And as for Webb, people in this forum are ready to crown him over T-J based on what, yet base T-J off one full (give ya a stretch with saying the others years are even partial and his full was actually a full season) of play his first (I am sticking to that) rookie year/season? smirk

I am nowhere near ready to crown Webb with anything. Just that he did an alright job when he was out there last Saturday. And I hope he can get the time out there to get better. Though I still dislike T-jack! wink

Junkson is horrible. There is no reason to think this guy should ever do anything but ride the pine in the NFL. Thank god #4 has shown up.