• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cannon Downriggers - manual crank not working

bapperpimp

Question

I have a Canno uni-troll 6 downrigger that is not working for me. I was wondering if anybody knows how to fix the issue. I can unwind and the wire will come out no problem. Then, when I have the ball at my desired depth, it will not tighten up. I think somebody using it may have unwound it a few too many times but not sure if that would cause an issue or not.

Can anybody help? Or tell me who can service this for a fair price?

7 answers to this question

Hold the cable spool at a dead stop and wind the handle as far and as tight as you can. This should lock up the clutch again.

Now try and see if it works. If this dont work something may have gotten stripped out. What # ball are you using on it?

Northlander, I run a standard 8 pound ball with it.

I have heard from others that the clutch might just be slipping and there is a screw inside that may have popped out. I have also heard the breaks might be a little greasy or something like that.

I think I will bring it to Streiff's and see what they say.

Ya dont go any heavier than a 8# ball with it. Well maybe 10# but thats pushing it in my opinion. 8# seems to work the best on them.

Do you have any breaking at all or is it total free fall? If its total free fall than something came undone inside. I really doubt its grease or anything thats the problem.

If its fairly new bring it back and see if they will replace it. If not bring it to a Canon service center.

Marine General in Duluth has Cannon parts.

I do have one here to use for parts too, but since I have electric ones, let me know, I might be able to help you out.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

There is a set screw that might be loose. It goes through the spool and into the shaft. You have to pull the cable off the reel. I'd take the terminal end off and wind the cable onto an other downrigger so your not kinking the cable. After you get the cable pulled out you'll see the screw. It goes into the shaft so get it lined back up and then tighten it.

Before you get started I'm assuming you can wind in cable without the weight of the ball but once you have that weight it won't, right? If so it is the set screw.

Yup ST is right if it seems like its just free spooling like superline on a reeel with no tape or backing then it could be that set screw. Do like he said and let us know what you find.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the South End... The walleye and sauger bite remains hot across the lake, with anglers enjoying consistent action. As the days progress, fish are still holding in the deeper mud, with 28 - 32 feet of water being the sweet spot this week. Jigging has really picked up in recent days. Jig colors that are producing well include gold, orange, chartreuse, and pink.    Spinners and trolling crankbaits continue to yield good results, offering multiple effective strategies for anglers targeting walleyes and saugers.    For those pulling spinners, a two-hook crawler harness with spinner blades in gold, pink, orange, glow red, or glow white has been successful. Adjust your weights to 2 - 3 ounces to match the depth and breezy conditions. Trolling crankbaits remains a strong option for covering water, especially with walleyes spread across the mud flats in Big Traverse Bay.  Areas with structure, such as rock reefs, or fish adjacent to these spots, are also holding fish.     Good numbers of walleyes along the south shore with some big schools and some big fish.  The bite has been excellent and is really shaping up nicely for the fall jig bite both on the lake and in the Rainy River. On the Rainy River... A variety of species continue to be caught on the Rainy River. The presence of decent current is still drawing extra fish into the river, and there have been positive reports from anglers targeting walleyes and sturgeon alike. Sturgeon fishing remains productive, with anglers anchoring up and using a combination of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners. The key is patience—let the bait soak and wait for that big bite. Walleye anglers are also having success on the river, with some nice-sized fish reported. There are already signs of emerald shiners in the river, which typically draw in walleyes. Jigging, trolling spinners with crawlers, or trolling crankbaits are all working well and will continue to be effective as the fall run approaches. Up at the NW Angle... Walleye fishing at the NW Angle remains excellent. Fish are being found on the structure as well as on the flats. As always, different forage in various areas influences where these predators are focused. The deep mud east and northeast of Little Oak Island holds numbers of walleyes with mixed in perch.  Good fishing around Four Blocks, and north of Garden Island as well, continuing to produce solid walleye catches.    Spinners with crawlers and trolling crankbaits are ideal for covering water and locating active fish in these areas. Anglers are finding success in 15 - 32 feet of water. The cooler temperatures, with some days dipping into the 40s, are beginning to slowly lower water temperatures, which will only increase the walleye bite as we move deeper into August.  
    • gimruis
      Not sure where else to put this since the muskie portions of this forum seem pretty dead.  I caught my first muskie of the season yesterday morning.  It was my 18th hour and 5th trip muskie fishing this season.  All I've been catching until yesterday were pike.   I was by myself, so landing, netting, measuring, and taking a photo of a sizable muskie was a bit of a challenge.  Its a tiger muskie that measured 36 3/4 inches.  I also found a rusted treble hook with about 16 inches of old fishing line stuck in its mouth, which I properly removed before releasing it.    
    • Rivergroup
      Heading up to LV a week from today with the kids. Any advice for us? Staying on the West side but open to traveling if the weather permits.   The way the last few weeks have gone, might stay for good!!!
    • leech~~
      Do have Wi-Fi in your house. Your going to need that to work with any of the cameras that send a signal and video to your phone.  Hardwire is the best but battery power workers well for about two months then you have to pull them and recharge them.  It is nice to sit on a beach in Key West and keep an eye on your house when gone! 👌
    • smurfy
      SO.......you dont think the BEWARE OF WIFE sign is sufficient???? 😂😄   seriously.......i'm no help!!!!
    • Dash 1
      With all the craziness in the world I’m looking at getting an outdoor security camera setup for my home. Anyone have ideas on what works well without a huge cost  and easy to do . Or is it better to go with a company to set it up.  We have recently had copper thefts in the area at farmers fields and bin sites and I know it will only gat worse as these things always do. I probably want something that hooks up to my phone as well and wondering if there is a good one with either battery life or if wired is better. Any thoughts are welcome. 
    • SkunkedAgain
      Aren't they the ones that ran into problems about illegal bait? Anyone know how that turned out?
    • chaffmj
      You launch on Moose Lake to get to the motorized portage. It's called Prairie portage. To get to the portage you put in at Moose Lake. From Moose you go into Newfound Lake. From Newfound you go into Sucker Lake. On Sucker is where Prairie portage is. There is a dock on the American side and on the Canadian side there is big sign welcoming you to Canada. Latourell's Resort runs the portage and the cost for the portage is $40 for a round trip.
    • mulefarm
      Will that blond haired kid have that cool little orange boat in the show this weekend? Saw him driving around by Muskego Point a few times this summer.
    • smurfy
      Hey  stranger!!👌

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.