• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Whitefish Chain Fishing Reports

Are there some decent spots to walk out to on Cross or Whitefish (public access) and have some luck on 'eyes? I have a place on Little Pine and don't get much walleye luck there. And, I'm probably not going to be driving out at all this year. I've tried out from the campground a couple times with no luck and a bit on the North side of WF out from the inlaws. Does the access on the West side of Cross offer much potential?

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• walleye365

• fishgutz77

• anchor man

• ozzie

well I don't have first hand knowledge of what can be caught as I tend to never have much sucess out there but there is some structure out from the dirt acess on the west side of cross that I have seen houses on in the past. I am in the same predicament as you anchor man as I am going to be up there this weekend and was wondering where on the chain I could fish without too much effort in pulling my 2 man house as I will have my father in-law with me. I am leaning towards lower hay as in the past I have heard of a crappie bite maybe and might be able to drive out there...I love the chain but the unpredictability of it can be frusterating....all that ice and you know there are monster fish out there but where to start??? Good Luck

• 1 year later...

Hey headed up to the Whitefish Chain for the weekend. I am looking for a report on whats working for walleyes if anything? Any general areas? I haven't been on the Chain all year, because for opener we were frozen out. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Keep you lines tight!

weeds on lower whitefish are barely growing. The way walleyes are biting on other lakes are strongly connected to new weed growth. Wherever you fish keep a eye on weeds and fish good weed growth areas early and late with your preferred tatic. Raps and jigs and minnow have worked for me in these areas on other lakes. Upper white might have some weeds, but I havent tried it this year.

good luck

jjz, Thanks for the advice, I will give it a try. I will report back next week.

Anyone else??

Usually whitefish starts to get going/pressure when the other lakes (gull, pelican, round, north long, etc...) start to slow down (most years july/ august). So dont expect much info. If I really wanted eyes on the chain now I would focus on upper white. Find weeds (6-12 or so fett) and walleyes will be around.

good luck

Hey guys heres a heads up. With all the rain we have had there are dock sections, trees and various floating junk covering the lake. Its a repeat of last June. Closer to the river you get more deadheads are floating around. Far as fishing I would say find growing green weeds and you will find all species of fish. Was bobber fishing the other day and ended up with four nice walleyes and a few dandy bass. Course that was before the skies opened up. Be safe and have fun.

Fished 10 foot weedlines on multiple lakes in the chain this weekend... everything from sunfish to walleyes. Pulling cranks kept panfish off, but live bait did well too. Caught enough 'eyes for a fish fry and a few nice bass and snakes for the fight! No big walleyes, but numbers wise I would say they are scattered in the weeds. Seems like the current was stronger with all of the rain lately too. Great weekend to be fishing the chain!

Moses,

I think your results are what most every lake is doing right now. Everything is on the first break/weedline. Cloudy/breezy days more walleyes, sunny calmer days more bass and northerns. Right now fish are biting!

good luck

I was out this last weekend and did find a few fish, but not the quanity I was hoping for. I will have to look for those 10ft weedlines. The weed growth is really behind this year. I did pick up two walleyes on Crosslake, I hate to admit it was my first time actually getting two walleyes in one evening. I keep looking but they seem to be really hard to find. Going up for a week starting tomorrow, hopefully we can get some stable weather for a few days and the fish should really turn on.

Moses, care to give a little more detail about the lakes your finding them on???

Thanks!

Always happy to converse with a fellow WFC angler! I would say my most consistant action last weekend was up on the north end of Rush Lake. I also found a few on the east shore of Cross just south of the dam. Again this was the most consistent multi-species action for me, the walleyes were dispersed amongst snakes and bass so I couldnt tell you where the highest 'eye concentration was! But you should fill me in if you find 'em!

Also wanted to ask if anyone found Lakers up in Big Trout this spring.. with everything else (weed growth, forage hatch, etc) happening late I was wondering if the Lake Trout were patrolling the shallower water later into the season this year. Still have never landed one in the boat so again just wondering if anyone else had any luck!?

Moses, were you jigging or rigging with the live bait? I would have thought by now the 20+ft bite would be heating up, but maybe it's far enough behind to keep them shallow. Hope to give it a whirl on WFC this weekend.

Sounds great make sure to leave me a report since I will not be able to fish it! I was jigging mostly, I agree that typically I would be targeting deeper water but I think the forage is more plentiful shallow at the moment, because again numbers wise.. 8-10 FOW has out produced 20-30 FOW at least 2 to 1! Im thinking shortly they will be moving out..

I am planning to try the chain for the first time mid July.

I'll start with Cross Lake.

Are there any hidden bars/boulders I need to worry about hitting? It looks to be a fairly safe lake for high speed boating.

Sonicrunch, you should be fine as any of the real threats are marked with hazard buoys..

Excellent.

I only ask because I hit an unmarked sand bar last year (different lake, but likewise a reservoir), and I am a little gun-shy now.

the whitefish chain doesn't have too many shallow areas in the open like some lakes do. and the ones that I can think of are marked or deep enough that you won't hit anything...hopefully!! haha Go enjoy the chain and have fun!!!

There are sand bars on Cross! mid lake.

As always take care your first time anywhere.

Got out Saturday early morning for a few hours, only got one small eye in 16ft on a bucktail jig/leech. Found some weeds in 10-12ft and casted jigs for a bit, but just some snakes. Anyone started pulling spinner yets? I'm thinking covering water faster to find these fish that are in weed pockets or scattered on the drops might be the ticket now.

Picked up three walleyes and some northerns the last couple days. They are still hanging around the weeds, but it is surprising to me how slow the weed growth is. Few spots on whitefish where the weeds are usually thick have only scattered weeds. If I find some more I will let people know.

I'm going up next weekend with my girlfriends father to search for some bass. Are there any bays or lakes in particular that I should be focusing on for bass?

I left the chain on the fourth. The current through the channels has really dropped off since I arrived on June 29th. I wasn't seeing many fish caught around the channels. Looks like the walleye have moved out into deeper water. Still have yet to find them really schooled up together. Good Luck to anyone fishing this weekend! Please post how you did.

Keep your lines tight!

The chain is starting to give up some eyes. We pulled cranks and spinners with crawlers in 9-15 ft and got about 6 each evening.

After dark it shut right down did much better the two hours before sundown.

let 3 go under 14 and kept 9 over two days, biggest was only 20 inches but most where nice fats 17-18. fireworks on the lakes where crazy what a show thurs. and Saturday.

Gutz, when you're trolling the spinners under about 12ft, are you getting the line out behind the boat aways? I was having a discussion with a friend about spooking fish below the boat in shallower water and was just curious?

Thanks

I was on a like close to the chain the key with a lot of boat traffic is to get the spinners away from boat. Had a 3/8 sinker on and switched all of ours to 1/4 to get them back and started catching them. Find the weed line on a good weed flat and any type of transition from sand to muck or inside weed turn was ticket. Warmer temps now though should maybe look at off shore structure within proximity to deep water. Not a thing on leeches or minnows all fish on spinner crawlers or slow death.

Fish have moved out to structure next to deep water, with some fish still in the weeds.

We used leadcore to get away from the boat, keep your speed at 1.4-1.7 mph which is fast for spinners but it works, and cranks on mono 90-100ft back. cranks need to be down about 9 ft. when you pull off of structure go out over deep water to make you turn we got our nicer fish on the turn over deep water with suspended fish out there.

• 10 months later...

Heading up for buddies birthday party to the WFC, we have fished Mille lacs opener and last weekend has been super slow and now I am hearing the same about most of the area. Any idea for where to start with this off year. We are staying on the Northside of Middle/lower WF. Looking for a place to start… what styles are catching eyes or crappies currently? Jig, lindys, cranks??? and craps under bobbers or hair jigs? My guess is low water temps have thing behind usual schedule so looking for crappies in spawning areas? and walleyes in shallow? Any tips PM or here are appreciated.

All classic crappie area on whitefish are producing. Puddle jumper and a float will produce.

Bass up shallow. No issues catching them.

Gators galor on spinner baits too - emerging weeds/older weed beds. Keep as many as you like - and the law allows.

Walleyes - run structure. Fish are not concentrated - at least what I'm experiencing. One here, one there...run and gun. Search a lot.

I would concentrate on the panfish - have a good fish fry.

Mind PMing me what are the classic crappie spots? I haven't been able to track down much in that lake.

Thanks!

4 rock bass and a pike didn't see an eyes boated last night but only a few boats out.