• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Whitefish Chain Fishing Reports

icon_rss.gif - Subscribe to this fishing report. smile

Fished big trout on friday...wind wasn't terrible, but when I got to the whitefish channel it was really whistling through. If it wasn't for the rock bass it would've been a really slow day. We caught about 30 rock bass, some of which must've thought they were crappies as they put up a nice fight. Half dozen or so bass, couple pike, perch, and bluegills, and a smallmouth. Trolled a little bit for lakers, but didn't expect to catch any.

Went to upper whitefish on saturday and the wind made it tough to fish. We were unable to fish our usual spots, so we spent most of the day cruising around looking for areas to get out of the wind. Caught 2 dozen total, half were bass, then an equal mix of small pike and rock bass. Had the wind not been so bad we could've easily caught 50 or more fish. ALOT of people out there for walleyes, so I'm wondering how well they did?

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• walleye365

• fishgutz77

• anchor man

• ozzie

JB, I was out on WF Saturday 9am-noonish. Caught rock bass on a section of Trout bar, and a pile of pike and a few bass near Pig Lk.-out of the wind. I tried near Rutgers and the "fingers" on Upper WF and no 'eyes. The wind made it tricky with a bow mount trolling motor runing low on batt. power. Definetly had that Fall feeling out there with only fishing boats and no cruisers or tubers. I stuck to jigging with beefy fatheads in about 19-22ft. Hope to get out a couple more times before garaging the boat for the season.

We spent most of Saturday on Lower WF looking for eyes. Caught mainly northerns (not to bad for size), one 17" eye and a 17" smallie when we drifted over a flat while I was trying to get everyone rigged. That one put up a nice fight. Got a good sunburn and had a great day with some friends. We also touched Upper WF and Lower Hay without success, but we didn't spend much time there.

I ice fish up there a fair amount, but without a sled or 4wheeler, I just go where I can walk out with a portable. I've been able to drive on WF a couple times, but the launch I used was heaved over last winter.

I'm wondering if the access over by the pine river inlet is safe for ice travel?

kilworry resort, they charge 1.00$ plowed acces and plowed trails. located off of hwy 1 on the north side of whitefish.

I was out on WF yesterday from about 2-6pm, several small pike, one nice largemouth in 27ft and a 22" walleye trolling a crank in 14ft. Water temp. 55 degrees. Anyone else get out over the weekend?

Cold and no action. Fished a couple hours, all I could take at 31 degrees. One northern in 27 ft of water and one other bite at 30 ft. Fish markings random and scattered. Water temp was 49 to 52 degrees. One other thing never saw a flock of ducks moving nor any geese. Where is this talked about northern flight. Only northern birds I saw were eight goldeneyes feeding in front of our cabin while I unfroze.

I have fished the mainly Whitefish and Lower Hay for walleyes my entire life time. Problem is I have never got around to chasing them in October. I fish them May-August usually and then chase muskies all fall. Should I concentrate around typical summer haunts but deeper? Is there any weed bite? A shallow bite? Thought we would try for a big one out there this coming weekend. Any tips? The resent reports have sounded pretty poor over the last week.

Thanks,

Jeff

• 1 month later...

Ok, so I have been going up to the Whitefish chain around the first week of June for 21 years. I absolutely LOVE the lake and the resort owners are great people (Killworry in Pine River). We always catch a lot of fish and I know parts of the lake very well. We mainly catch big bluegills, a ton of bass (whether we want to or not, hehe) and northerns but the Walleye are usually tough. Admittetedly, I am not a great Walleye fisherman but I do occasionally get lucky and catch a couple. I have caught a 7.5 pound and a 10 pounder (see pic) in the last few years but I never get numbers and most of the time I get skunked. I mainly use a crawler harness (air injected crawler) on a few of the bars. Can any of you guys who know that lake share a couple tips or secrets on getting better numbers or locations, etc. Lure choices? Baits? I want to learn to be a better Walleye fisherman, lol

Here the big one I caught 2 years ago - even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in while, lol:

P1010930.jpg

Nobody? I am not trying to take anybody's spots, hehe....I am looking for some techniques you guys might try that time of year and what live baits may work best. I know a lot of the bar locations on the west end of Whitefish but it seems we get one or two and done. Maybe that's typical for that time of year and of course weather plays into it. Do you guys have good luck with jigs and live bait versus other methods? Just looking for some tips. Not a ton of walleye fishing in Indiana so I don't really get to refine the techniques smile

sorry but I think everyone has ice fishing on the brain right now and open water is now behind them. Maybe bring this question up again in the spring and you should get a better response?

Good Luck,

mr

Crankbaits or another technique worth trying is rip jigging. Good Luck next year but my mindset is in icefishing right now. Like where to go so that I do not get skunked again like last weekend. Nice eye by the way .....

Crankbaits or another technique worth trying is rip jigging. Good Luck next year but my mindset is in icefishing right now. Like where to go so that I do not get skunked again like last weekend. Nice eye by the way .....

Hehehe...Thanks! I will catch up in may before I leave (6/5 to 6/12 next year). In the mean time I am enjoying reading all the ice fishing stories smile

June is usually a good month for whitefish. How deep are you trying? Have found fish on the lake lots shallower than you would think. Also there is a walleye movement W to E on the chain as summer moves along. Find the bass and move out a little deeper. Also I would scrap the crawler harness and use a long lindy rig with a # 6 colored hook.

Hey CRFan, I think we chatted about WFC this summer, right? So did you end up getting the boat delivered yet? Once youhave that, I am sure you will be sitting in it plenty, dreaming of warm weather and soft water for some time smile I know that from experience! ha! But we do get out on WFC a bit fishing on the ice, and also sledding on it. I fish more the smaller lakes around the area in winter.

CRFan1,

I would suggest that you think about acquiring the tools you have at Kilworry Resort. I know for a fact that if you want to learn more about what's going on with Walleye's on the Whitefish Chain you procure the expertise you have available at Kilworry Resort. Trust me when I say they have some of the most underrated experts available to help put the Whitefish puzzle together. Regardless of whether or not you catch a limit they can give you valuable insight to put you on a new spot or new presentations that will help you become a better fisherman. I have lived in the area all of my life and can't say enough about the people running this resort. I don't have any stake in this advice, but I am a local guide and know the Coughlin family. One guided trip may open your eyes to this prolific piece of Walleye water and who better to help you than those who have established a great return clientele based on many years of lodging families and promoting fishing on the Whitefish Chain.

I wish you a great MN experience with many fishing memories to come..

XRap

June is usually a good month for whitefish. How deep are you trying? Have found fish on the lake lots shallower than you would think. Also there is a walleye movement W to E on the chain as summer moves along. Find the bass and move out a little deeper. Also I would scrap the crawler harness and use a long lindy rig with a # 6 colored hook.

Well, we do sometimes catch a few shallow on the flats but if you have a decent spring, I typically catch them between 18 and 20 feet on the bars.....one of the the best places is actually in front of the resort smile I will try the long lindy rig too! The last two years have been very bad...cold, rainy but 2 bad years outta 21 is not bad, hehe.

Hey CRFan, I think we chatted about WFC this summer, right? So did you end up getting the boat delivered yet? Once youhave that, I am sure you will be sitting in it plenty, dreaming of warm weather and soft water for some time smile I know that from experience! ha! But we do get out on WFC a bit fishing on the ice, and also sledding on it. I fish more the smaller lakes around the area in winter.

BoxMN, yep, we chatted about it smile Can you believe my boat is done excpet they are waiting on the motor (they are on backorder). apparently, the 60HP 4 stroke mercs are made in China which kind of makes me mad. They are literally on a slow boat from china and I am told mid to late january. Oh well, truck stays in teh garge that much longer, lol smile

We definitely have to hook up when I am up there. I will be there from 6/5 - 6/12. Shoot me an e-mail at [email protected] with some contact info and I will be in touch.

CRFan1,

I would suggest that you think about acquiring the tools you have at Kilworry Resort. I know for a fact that if you want to learn more about what's going on with Walleye's on the Whitefish Chain you procure the expertise you have available at Kilworry Resort. Trust me when I say they have some of the most underrated experts available to help put the Whitefish puzzle together. Regardless of whether or not you catch a limit they can give you valuable insight to put you on a new spot or new presentations that will help you become a better fisherman. I have lived in the area all of my life and can't say enough about the people running this resort. I don't have any stake in this advice, but I am a local guide and know the Coughlin family. One guided trip may open your eyes to this prolific piece of Walleye water and who better to help you than those who have established a great return clientele based on many years of lodging families and promoting fishing on the Whitefish Chain.

I wish you a great MN experience with many fishing memories to come..

XRap

XRap...without a doubt, the people running Killwory are THE BEST! I started going there with my dad and uncles when I was 22 (I am now 45 and my dad has since passed). I know the west end of the lake pretty well and we always do well overall (no complaints really, it is a GREAT lake). My evenings are actually spent going after monster bluegills/crappie and mornings walleye/northern. I do hire George once during the week every year...it has become ritual smile In fact, he is the one behind me in the picture with that big fish I caught, hehe. All they ever use is crawler harnesses and I am really just looking for some other proven techniques that the locals may recommend. Thanks for the advice smile

Anyone been on the Whitefish Chain? How is the ice? Have Christmas at my folks on Hay and was maybe going to get a few hours of fishing in.

anything goin for eyes out there. whats the ice lookin like im planin on trying it saturday will report after then.thanks for any info. good luck

Anyone been out on Little Pine...I assume with the cold temps the ice should be fine for 4wheelers....any fishing reports?

Thanks