• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2009 Waterfowl Reports

Chub, Are you going to share your calander with us please!?!?!?!

When you say they migrate by calander you are basically saying that waterfowl migrate for the fun of it. They wake up and say "its oct 23, time to migrate a couple hunderred miles today!" LOL. Say it were 80 degrees with constant S winds all the way through Dec and into Jan. Would they still migrate? Why did they ever start migrating thousands of years ago? Did they think it was going to be fun? They wanted to see new places and maybe hit up the new strip joint in FL? HUH? You have got to be one of the most educated duck hunters ive ever come accross..... PLEASE show me the calander!!! PLEASE PLEASE

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RumRiverRat

• BrdHunter01

• Gordie

• Lunker

Here's a first hand report from a reliable source that wanted me and my dad to jump in the truck with him and head into Mainitoba, Canada for a Tuesday morning hunt before thanskgving but college classes and no passports stopped us dead in our tracks. The report mallards coming into the area hard ninty miles north of the ND border. Eatng in pea fields. The kill 129 greenheads had their last meal. Problem is they have no reason to leave Canada for us boys in Mn or the dakotas, open water at refuge at plenty of feed with no hunting pressure at all. I am so mad I couldnt go that Im getting my passport tommorw. No ducks in Mankato area with most ponds frozen and every field plowed up. Theirs going to be a non stop flight from Canada to the Gulf for the big mallard migration which happens every year. Good luck to all but Im chasing roosters now that the corn is down!

brdhunter, there is truth to what chub is saying. Several studies have been done, and some birds do migrate on or near the same date, or week every year. In normal weather years that is. They go on the move on the first strong NW winds, cold front of the fall and head out. Thats why in most years you may see mallards a good portion of the season. They are not the same birds you are seeing over and over again every weekend. They may be calander migrators. No one really knows for sure why, but it does happen.

No one also knows why some fields, no matter how good they look, birds will not touch in the fall. But in the spring they hit it hard. Several outfitters I know talk about it. It happens a lot in SD during the snows and blue fall and spring migrations. Its almost like they know, and save them for they're return. For sure, no one knows. But there is a pattern.

That being said this year is not a normal weather pattern year. From spring on, its been a peak and valley year. Everything, hatching, molt, and migrating has been all screwed up.

If you interested in more info on it. Check it out on the net. Do a search on it. Pretty interesting reading.

Originally Posted By: chub

I would guess all the birds sitting in the NWR's in SE Iowa and Missouri got the memo.

You'll figure it out after you get a few seasons under your belt Brdhunter.

Until then, keep on believing in that mass December migration and 'Ol Saint Nick! wink I'll just keep on keeping on and shooting migration Mallards all season long, no matter how small the migration is.

May your duckstap be full, and your chimeny large enough to allow the man in the red suit to fill your den with presents.....

LOL

ALL the birds are sitting in Iowa huh? "birds" may be the key word their.. not "mallards" I don't see why all the birds wouldn't have migrated with the near record setting weather we've had! Man has it been harsh! It "might" make it down to 32 degrees tonight!

BTW: I've been a die hard duck hunter for about 15 years now, I think you might need a couple more seasons under your belt... Be careful though we wouldn't want you to get to cold now....

Originally Posted By: cutter08
So all you guys that told me that i was wrong and the birds Haven't migrated yet because its to warm, WELL the cold weather is here and i don't see all the ducks that are supposedly still in Canada??????? Like i said that weekend where we had 30 mph winds out of the north was going to be the big push. I have been seeing goldeneyes for the last 3 to 4 weeks and correct me if I'm wrong but arnt they one of the last birds to head south?????? I'm not calling it quits for the year and i will be out there this weekend. There are some birds around and so I'm hopen to finish the regular season with at least a few birds and then its on to late season goose. Should be a good late season. Lots of geese in and around the metro.

You call this cold? LOLOLOL It was colder than this in Oct! Amost the warmest Nov ever recorded must have really pushed all those birds through...

BTW: Big fat canadian mallards are the last brids to migrate

Yeah i do call it cold. There is ice on the lakes. And if there is ice down here in MN then I would bet there is thicker ice in Canada. Didnt see this much ice in Oct now did ya? Thats what i thought. Talked to a good friend in Sak Canada yesterday and said there hasnt beeen any birds in a few weeks. Oh wait the big push is on. We shot one green head this morning. And only saw a hand full. You keep telling yourself that the big push is still in canada LOL

I'm done trying to explain it to him fishinguy, he's obviously much more up on this duck hunting thing than myself. Wouldn't be so bad if he didn't attempt to make his arguement by taking much of what I say and twist it up, but that's what some do.

Hunted again today. Shot some again. Nothing earth shaking, but it's alright.

Fishingguy, I understand that most teal, woodducks, gads, widgeon, ect, ect do migrate with the first NNW winds. But I'm talking about the stuburn canadian mallards that wait until they aboslutly HAVE TO LEAVE. They don't migrate by calander or the 1st or sec or third NW wind they see. They migrate with the weather. They stay tight up in CA until everything freezes. Even when everything freezes they will still stay until their food is covered with snow because many times big bodies of water/rivers/streams are still open for them to get a drink. I could really care less about the teal, woodducks, gads, ect. Don't get me wrong I like hunting and shooting them but the migration I wait for every year didn't come down yet.

I think MinnetonkaMan's report from Manitoba just about sums up our season for an MN duck hunter! And proves the fact that the mallards haven't come yet! Like I have said a million times.... Why would those canadian mallards migrate when its one of the warmest november's ever recorded? Come on guys, lets be realistic..... The major migration of canadian mallards has not happened and will never happen (within our legal shooting dates) with one of the warmest Novembers EVER recorded!

Obviously you guys that say the major migration of mallards is south of us have NEVER taken part in or seen the real mallard migration....

Did you guys read the reports from MinetonkaMan or are you just oblivious? Did you not read the thread where a wildlife biologist explains the facts and our own MN DNR agrees? You call temps in the 40s cold? OH MY what do you do during the winter?

You guys must be the ones that just stop duck hunting once a little ice is on the lakes.... Thats why you have never seen the real migration... Now I understand

I'm also waiting on this "so called" calander..... I'd like to take a look. You guys really think the big mallards have come down with weather like this? "yes I do call it cold" LOL get a clue boys...

Yeah you got it, i have never seen or shot mallards late in the year when the migration is on. Gues you got it all figured out then and i have no idea what im doin the last 16 years LOL

By the way Chub, You don't have to explain anything to me.... I've seen it, you obviously haven't. I know what kind of weather it takes to move those big old Canadian mallards down here to MN, you don't. Not a big deal.... No need to feel like your trying to explain anything....

Here, I'll make it easy for you.

http://mdc.mo.gov/hunt/wtrfowl/

You might have to open up some different pages, but if you can read and reason, you should be able to see, that a very substantial amount of Mallards, yes Mallards are in not only the MDC conservation areas, but in the NWR's down that way also.

Now if you would care to go back and find where I stated that ALL of the Mallards are south of us, I will get my own picture taken with me on Santa's lap. I know they're not all down there yet, because I am killing them as they come through, like I have been for the last month and a half.

Now I've got to rest old sage one, for I have to take some more people out tomorrow, so they can shoot some of the Mallards that are migrating through the state instead of continuing to argue with the uninformed.

Good luck out there tomorrow to those that get out.

WAIT WAIT I need that calander or I won't shoot any birds! PLEASE

I'm uninformed? You both are claiming you know more than a wildlife biologist and our DNR.... Can we put you guys in charge?

BTW did you rear my report yet? Talked to a good friend and guide in Sak yesterday. NO BIRDS THE LAST FEW WEEKS

chub,

Those hundreds of 1,000s of mallards in Missiouri.....thems just local ducks.

Thems not canadian mallards. Canadian mallards eat snow and ice...thats why theys so big and stong.......and spectical

Yes I did, but have you looked at a map recently? Sak is over montana.... Have you watched the weather lately? Its been a lot colder west of us in Mon and such. Back to the map.... Do you see those huge bodies of water in Manitoba? Do you think those are froze yet? Now..... Did you read the report from Manitoba yet?

chub,

Those hundreds of 1,000s of mallards in Missiouri.....thems just local ducks.

Thems not canadian mallards. Canadian mallards eat snow and ice...thats why theys so big and stong.......and spectical

SNOW???? Where's the snow and ice? If my eyes arn't playing tricks on me i think winnipeg has been in the 40 and 50 degree weather over the last month or so. I didn't know snow fly's with those temps? let alone ice freezing.... Wow! I must be way out of the loop

Have you looked at a map? Most of Manitoba is over North dakota. And yeah i know about the big water in Manitoba. We have a cabin about 4 hrs north of Winnipeg on Ceader lake. And on top of it the dakotas are so wet this year that much of migration has gone throught or is still in the dakotas. Anyone can sit online and say whatever they want. You have your beliefs and i have mine. Lets just leave it at that and keep this thred to reports.

Agree, you can believe what you want and I will do the same. Just keep your eyes open come Dec or if you happen to hunt late goose... Good luck if you go out the remainng 3 days....

Saturday morning was good for me. All the local ponds near the lake I hunt were frozen, and that pushed the ducks to the open water where I was. I ended up with two drakes. There was a large flock of geese on the other side of the lake, and quite a few ducks flying about. I am on my way out the door to hunt today again, weather is a little warmer, hopefully the ponds froze up again otherwise it might be a slow one.

My sons and I put our gear away yesterday, thats enough for this season, or the season that never was? We went Thanksgiving day, fri, sat saw about 8-15 birds, Fired on one flock of mallards, should have let them work the decoys alittle more, got to trigger happy to soon grin hopefully next year will be better, Now its time to concentrate on snowmobile season and alittle ice fishing

I had a buddy in SW MN tell me yesterday that he saw as many

alligators as he saw ducks. This morning he said there was

at least 500 mallards in the same area.

There is still hope !

tweed

Hunted Albert Lea area Thankgiving day and packed everything up that afternoon. Fewer than 500 mallards on the refuge. Still a few geese around but not even close to as many in other years. Just a sad season all around, the worst in my years of hunting.

I had a good hunt this morning, more birds flying than Saturday. Unfortunately all the ponds near the lake I hunt were open so the they all piled into those spots. I took home two mallards.

It was a slow season for me, like everyone, but I think in total I scraped up three geese and 9 or 10 mallards. Plenty in the freezer for me and my wife.

I was out Wednesday and Friday. Saw a few birds but only a handful. Lot's of geese in west central. If Canadian duck production keeps goin down hill future looks??? I read ND, MN, and SD produced more ducks than Canada this year but Dakota ducks don't come through Alex.

Super duty, Rumriver rat,Nate and Myself went out today on pelica and not much going on as the flight goes but we were ready 13 dozen decoys,14-15 gun shots and one drake mallard to show for it. flight or not 4 waterfowlers in a boat made for a great way to end the season. lots of laughs and plans for next years flight. Thanks for the fun day guys.

Oh and yes I'll still hit the duck lake flight or not for at least peace of mind and hopefully a duck or two.

went out this morning and still saw quite a few geese..

im hunting tomorrow night and tuesday evening and then LATE GOOSE! pumped because my cousin is probably getting access to a golf course for the late goose hunt

Thanks for a fun hunt elwood. I had a good time even though the ducks were mostly absent. I like to shoot birds as much as anybody, but getting outdoors with good people is another reason I enjoy duck hunting.