• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2009 Waterfowl Reports

I've given up on the ducks in my area and am just going to goose hunt the rest of the season.

It does'nt look like there will be the big push we had all hoped for.

Sifty

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RumRiverRat

• BrdHunter01

• Gordie

• Lunker

I don't get it!... It is not that horrible. plenty of divers to shoot at. seen about 25 flocks today

Trust your instinct.. it has been warm for quite some time now! My instinct tells me we will continue to get new birds on each cold night.

Seen approximatly 200-300 fresh mallards this morning had I been set up for them I know I could have filled out

I had three greenhead decoys off on there own in all goldeneye spread and still got a couple good flocks to put there feet down ! with very little calling, after the first greeting call it was all over !

I have to imagine what would have happened with a few more decoys and if I would have placed them diiferently and shot much better than I did today blush

I could be better but I am not complaining.

I am glad you are seeing ducks--I am going to go out somewhere (not sure yet) to west central MN and try to get some ducks from Wed-Fri. then again next week towards the middle/end part again. Wished my duck hunting would have been better this year but that hunting I guess.

Crank,

You fail to mention what part of the state you are in. That's really what it boils down to this time of year (any year). You need to put yourself in the right place to kill ducks. 20 miles to the west or 20 miles to the east and there is nothing. Where I hunt, there is nothing and it has been poor all year. That's just the way it worked out this year. But, I will not complain. If I had the time, I could go find them.

southern central portion! when scouting ,dont expect those mallards to be sitting next to the road these particular mallards are spending there time a raft with seagulls in the 1,000 possibly 10,000 same is true with the goldeneyes.

really had to look for them through the scope to find them beacause they are not all in one spot they have been in small flocks through out them

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Went out last weekend and checked two lakes just north of the cities hardly a black dot on the lake, where just the weekend before there were big rafts of Coot and a few flocks of Ducks flying around. frown It's done. cry Goose is going to be the game now. smile

Went out last weekend and checked two lakes just north of the cities hardly a black dot on the lake, where just the weekend before there were big rafts of Coot and a few flocks of Ducks flying around. It's done.

sweet one less spread for the ducks to look @ and one less barrel they have to pass.

If we could get some colder weather we have a small creek that holds some Mallards later in the year after the corn is out.

Problem is I have to wait for both this year.

Sifty

Me and a buddy went North of Grand Rapids this weekend. Shot and saw lots of bills, goldeneye, buffs! Yesterday was a bluebird day and we still managed a great diver shoot. Just have to put in your time and put yourself where the ducks are. A lot of great sets in the blocks and plenty of ducks still to come down.

If the forecast holds true. Looks like some cold weather starting next monday. Let the lards come. Went out yesterday. Managed 2 geese and one mallard.

sweet one less spread for the ducks to look @ and one less barrel they have to pass.

Dan, if i wasn't Deer hunting one more weekend, I would come down there and setup right next to you! Maybe next weekend! wink

Originally Posted By: dan z

Dan, if i wasn't Deer hunting one more weekend, I would come down there and setup right next to you! Maybe next weekend! wink

as long as were hunting over the same decoys It would not bother me one bit! wink

as long as were hunting over the same decoys It would not bother me one bit! wink

Huum tempting! grin

This morning was bad, only a few mallards moving around. No shots. Central Wisconsin. It's been about a week since I've seen ANY divers, so they must have moved out of this area.

Broke lots of ice today to get to my hunting hole. Had fun catching up with an old friend and watching the lifeless sky. Saw and shot one lawn dart. Thats it

Went out to a spot in central MN near Princeton around 3.. Super clear skies. Saw a lone goose that went around us and that was it. Going to return my buddies canoe tomorrow...

I see it this way, a poor day of hunting is better then ANY day at work! If there are no birds, big whoop! It doesn't bother me in the least bit.

As long as I am out with my dog and friends and not sitting at home behind the stupid TV, I am happy.

My season has been ok so far. I try to get out in between coaching hockey on the weekends. I hunt in the north suburbs and have been seeing ducks, just nothing is commiting.

Next week though is a different story! I will be out Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday rain or shine, ducks or no ducks!

I'll be the first to admit I do get a little bothered not seeing ducks, afterall, the ducks are the reason I am out there. If not for them, I'd go fishing.

That being said, I have been out 6 times this year and have only shot at one group of 4 mallards - and missed. Twice I didn't even see a duck the entire time I was out. Most would get frustrated and give up. I keep going because one of these days my luck is bound to change!

I check this report a couple times a day with hope that things will start looking up. Who knows, maybe this Saturday will turn out to be the hunt of my lifetime (keep in mind, my standards are pretty low), or maybe it will be another morning filled with empty skies. Either way, keep the reports coming as it keeps hope alive!

1000's of divers on Vadnais Lakes.

Too bad you cannot hunt in St Paul.

That lake FILLS UP with divers every year. I'm gonna head out there today just to watch 'em fly, it's almost as fun as shooting 'em! Just imagine if a guy could set up on the end of that big point on the west side of the lake where everyone shore fishes, it would be absolutely lights out shooting all day

Drove all over today looking for ducks. I did find some mallards here and there. Maybe they are trickeling down finally. Many of the smaller ponds (20 acres or less) were froze over for much of the day.

The mallards have really shown up in the East Metro. Mallards are scattered in many ponds where there were none in October.

Mallards flying out with Canada geese now, saw few in October.

Also seeing some divers zipping around at sunrise.

LOL. It might. Saturday is already out for me as I'll be attending a 50th birthday party. Sunday is still a possibility.

went out tonight to pelican. all i saw was one group of 5 goldeneyes, and a few geese, and EVERY SEAGULL IN MINNESOTA. MY dog managed to find the leftovers of poor sportsman. She got a scent and went with it, she discovered dead ducks. She ate one before I got to her. Who shhots birds and leaves them where they were hunting, SERIOUSLY.

Hunted yesterday with zero results. Saw a ton of mallards and geese, but of course they were moving in large flocks between a refuge and the fields.

LOL. It might. Saturday is already out for me as I'll be attending a 50th birthday party. Sunday is still a possibility.

Yup the ducks will definately be pouring in by Sunday. Keep me posted on your plans.

Muddy, I don't think Sunday will work either. Your head should be pounding after a 50th B-Day party. 4 am comes awfully soon when you put your head on the pillow at 2 am. HAHA Just kidding

GOOD LUCK & BE SAFE to you and Nate Sunday

LOL Nate and I heard from a guy that knows a guy that his sister dates a guy whos uncle told a guy that the ducks are around black duck wink

is there room for a thrid confused