• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ed Carlson

• Mike Stark

• SHANTY

• topcat3820

No, he had gone out the day before with Andrea and things were very slow. On Sunday when I went out it was very bad visiblity. Can not wait for ice at this point.

do the greenbacks make their way into mn or is it only in canada?

Most people consider true "greenback fishing" to be North of the dam at Lockport. Some fish certainly climb the fish ladders there, but for the most part any greenbacks you hear about are coming from the Lockport-and-North section of the Red and Lake Winnipeg. I'm colorblind, but I can still tell you why they call them greenbacks up there... very cool coloration! You don't see those colors in fish down here.

Originally Posted By: BlueBillStacker
do the greenbacks make their way into mn or is it only in canada?

Most people consider true "greenback fishing" to be North of the dam at Lockport. Some fish certainly climb the fish ladders there, but for the most part any greenbacks you hear about are coming from the Lockport-and-North section of the Red and Lake Winnipeg. I'm colorblind, but I can still tell you why they call them greenbacks up there... very cool coloration! You don't see those colors in fish down here.

Scott, never knew that you were color blind! It sure doesn't slow you down from hammering fish though! wink

The upcoming midweek forecast is really looking great for making ice up here! About time, I was beginning to have my doubts! grin

That's why Scoot liked that funky Cool Blue Vex's of mine Stu. smile

It's not just a Cool Look when you really need it, it is a feature that makes it perform at it's best for that Vex user.

I predict Scoot will have a "Cool Blue Conversion Vexilar" sooner than latter.

Yeah, I've been thinking about doing that for quite a while. Three color flashers are pretty much just two color flashers to me. Just one of those things I haven't gotten around to doing...

They sure look cool though!

Scoot if you want to barrow mine and see if it's the right CB scheme for you, your very welcome to do so.

so, thinking I read something <imagine that, about the green coloring. a mineral in the big lake?

Stu, refresh an old guys memory.

thanks

Tom

The fisheries experts believe that the Lake Winnipeg walleye have the gorgeous iridescent emerald green color because of the limestone based influence on the geology of the area.

When they've been in the Red River for an extended period, their bright, emerald green backs tend to "blanch" out a little.

No doubt some of these walleyes find their way up to the headwaters of the Red River. However, by then they'll have taken on the color influenced by those waters and local geology.

I agree. Walleye coloration is highly influenced by there environment. Rock walleye look dark, weed walleye look more yellowish green, Greenbacks run iridescent green..ect.

We see variations on coloration even on the Central Red River basin that somewhat mirror the Greenback look...but not even close to the real Greenback glow and glitter you see from Lake run Winnipeg walleyes.

Gatorhunter hit it on the head, if they do migrate South they likely tend to blend in to the regional population fairly soon.

Yep, I'm sure that's true. But... it's definitely true that it'll take some time. Look, for example, at the difference in colors of the lake fish vs. the river fish on the Rainy in the Spring and Fall. Once the lake fish transition into the river, they definitely don't swap coloration over night. But, I bet if they stayed there long enough they would...

Buddy of mine caught a MA walleye on the red last year on our trip to Selkirk, it was definately a resident river fish. Long, skinny, big head, and regular yellow and brown coloration. The Lake fish definately have that green color, some are more spectacular than others though.