• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Night fishing on the Canadian end does not pay off. So a portable is the wisest choice, mobile is key on that end.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ed Carlson

• Mike Stark

• SHANTY

• topcat3820

topcat....so how would that work for first ice? drive north on the road from stu's then walk out from a parking lot?

Mike, not to worry. You, along with all our guests, will be given "all" the pertinent info you'll need to make your trip a success. Kinda like the info one can acquire from the local B & B's and "no-tell" motels... winkwink

Here's a chunky greenback from yesterday's excursion. It was the 1st ever trophy walleye for the young lady and although she was a tad nervous holding the fish, man was she excited! If you look close, you'll see the pink "Reelbait" Flasher jig hanging from the Hawgs mouth! Make sure that you have a good selection, they're deadly thru the ice!

IMG_0157keeper-1.png

typically how much ice is on the river nov.28th-dec.2nd? its the only time i can get up in december for the pigs.

typically how much ice is on the river nov.28th-dec.2nd? its the only time i can get up in december for the pigs.

It all hinges on how the fall temps play out. In years past, I have seen the Red begin to make ice by early November. On other occassion, I have opened water fished the river (via boat) as late as November 25th.

It's impossible to tell what shape the ice will be in by early Demcember. Stay in touch with me (via email) and I'll keep you in the loop!

You may be a little early for those dates. I have been up there the last 6 years on the second weekend in December which usually falls on the 10th or so. I've seen anywhere form 6-12 inches by then so if you go back 10-12 days it may be a little tricky.

Awesome fish Walleyefey,talked to you guys up by Netley creek I was in the Red Skeeter from Minn. Glad to see you guys got a good fish.

Ed or anyone.... what is the best time of year to hook a big greenback out of the red river???

My buddies are on there way up this weekend and are going to fish for 4 days. Will they is hitting it up at the right time?

How does the river look... any flooding, rain, snow, cold fronts, or anything that would screw us up? Don't want it looking like pea soup.

any info would be great!

Shanty...the rule of thumb for fall fishing is the later the better! Your buddies should be good to go. The water upstream is being released nice and slowly so there are no issues with current and stirred up water.

As far as the best time to actually fish the old girl, that would be mid-December to mid-January. Last year was phenomenal with literally a couple hundred 28 inch plus walleyes caught between December 1 and January 15!

thanks for the info gator! ill have to make the trip for the ice. the vex will be purrrin... Love that sound! are there any big ones being caught right now or is it pretty slow? what is the water and air temp?

Any good depth maps of the lake?

this is killing me! i have the bug to go but i want to go when i have the best chance at a 10 plus pounder. are the chances of a 10 plus good now!? i am guessing ice fishing is the best chance?

you have a chance at a 10lber...heck...you have a chance at a 15lber...the red is an amazing fisherie.

stay with stu mckay at "Cats on the Red" and he will put you on fish.

Originally Posted By: mstark83
topcat....so how would that work for first ice? drive north on the road from stu's then walk out from a parking lot?

Mike, not to worry. You, along with all our guests, will be given "all" the pertinent info you'll need to make your trip a success. Kinda like the info one can acquire from the local B & B's and "no-tell" motels... winkwink

Here's a chunky greenback from yesterday's excursion. It was the 1st ever trophy walleye for the young lady and although she was a tad nervous holding the fish, man was she excited! If you look close, you'll see the pink "Reelbait" Flasher jig hanging from the Hawgs mouth! Make sure that you have a good selection, they're deadly thru the ice!

IMG_0157keeper-1.png

Very nice...OH...and that Greenback looks preaty too Eh. smile

just wanted to know what people are bringing in for numbers and how many pigs where being caught?! looks like i will be at stu's friday night. Really looking forward to the trip

If you look close, you'll see the pink "Reelbait" Flasher jig hanging from the Hawgs mouth

yep the big girls like the pink jigs!!

just wanted to know what people are bringing in for numbers and how many pigs where being caught?! looks like i will be at stu's friday night. Really looking forward to the trip

Not many big fish ever get brought in, most are Caught and Released on the Red (CPR). Many...many more end up on film or digital cameras, and many more never get talked about publicly...Eh...as fisherman are fisherman..and they like there secrets too. wink When your staying at "Cats on the Red" ,you get the scoop, and stay well tuned in...that is a huge benefit to the clientele.

If you were not aware of it, you must sign off on your license after you keep a trophy fish...and that is the "1" Trophy you get for the year. Catch all you can, but 1 is the harvest slot on the Red and the Winnipeg rivers. Stu can fill you in on the particulars.

That said...lots of big fish are being caught on the Red right now. I have received many personal accounts of 30" fish and better. There are definitely numbers of sumo's in the Red River of the North this fall.

Latter is often better....just need to cope with the weather..and that may be challenging this weekend. Dress for success...like your ice fishing...but add a wet factor to that...rubber insulated boots would be very wise. I would tote a Mr. Heater with and extra gloves, and a handful of chemical heat packs for the hands and the boots.

Warm and dry...is good! smile

Like has been already said, Stu will take great care of you.

One other thing for a quick FYI-- earlier in the Fall, crankin and jiggin can both be the ticket. Some days one is better, some days the other is better. Heck, some years seem to be jiggin' years or crankin' years. But, as the year moves along, jigs will outproduce cranks by quite a bit. This time of year and later you can expect jiggin' to be be a better option than crankin. It's not a universal, but it's a very good general rule of thumb.

Thanks for the info guys. I am a catch and release guy myself. just wanted to know haow many fish were being caught. I love to take good photos and good care of the fish! wish more people practiced that. Looking forward to the trip and going to pack my warm gear. can't wait!

Numbers of big fish depend on your luck. On our trip last year, my fish house partner got 5 over 28 and he was 3 ft from me. I only marked a couple big fish and dropped one of them. There is skill involved, but the bottom line is that the fish has to swim under your hole to even get a bite. They seem to move up and down the river aimlessly chasing their next meal, you just need to get a lure in front of them. You could catch 10 trophy's over the weekend or none, but you should have an honest chance of getting at least 1 of thos pigs. Good luck up there.

I wanna go jiggin...

Make sure you stop in Fargo and get in the "rent a guide" line, I know that was a fun part of my trip! cry < that was humor Ed! smile

dang topcat!!

that last one is a PIG!!! those recent fish?

im coming up with my dad on the 28th of november as long as there is enough ice to fish. eek come on winter!

if your around..come out and chip some holes in the ice with us. we'll pull some of those pigs through the ice.

12 hours!!! Can't wait! This will be my first trip to red! Going to be setting up the dates to ice fish too! Hope i have beginers luck. Wish me luck!

I wanna go jiggin...

Make sure you stop in Fargo and get in the "rent a guide" line, I know that was a fun part of my trip! cry < that was humor Ed! smile

what is this all about!?