• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ed Carlson

• Mike Stark

• SHANTY

• topcat3820

Reports I'm getting is not much significant movement for Greenback from the lake into the rivers yet. Some way out by the lake, not too much in the river. Need some colder temps and North winds to move them in.

The cat bite is nuts, very good up North.

The word is it's picking up, and looking like the conditions may produce a good fall run of Greenbacks.

Fish are being caught mostly farther out to the lake end but showing up in the river more and more each day now.

THANKS ED, I'LL BE HEADING UP OCT9-14, SHOULD BE A GOOD TIME TO FISH!? I'VE ALWAYS BEEN TOLD TO GO AS CLOSE TO THE DRAW DOWN AS POSSIBLE, AND NOT AFTER FOR A WEEK OR SO, IS THAT AROUND THE 15TH? ANYWAY, LOOKING FORWARD TO THE TRIP.

I have heard the same as ed. I am heading up hopefully the tenth. Should be perfect timing looking at the weather report. i have always struggled up there after draw down. I try get there the weekend b4. I am jacked up. Yo Ed any kitties around that late?

Yup...they will be down river, in/near deeper water. Last year the real sumo cats fed up well into late October. So...I would bring a cat rod too.

Get some Reel Bait jigs too, and them lucky Hornets. wink

I'VE JUST BEEN HEARING REPORTS THAT PINE FALLS IS TAKING OFF, BUT NOT THE RED SO MUCH YET. ANY OTHER REPORTS YET?

There is a tournament on the Red this weekend...so reports are slow. But will know more after the weekend on what the numbers of Greenbacks in the Red look like.

myrt:

What tc is referring to is your typing is all in caps. All caps means yelling in the email computer world.

Topcat:

What is the report?

Thanks,

WG

Pretty good, WG... kinda' slow for this time of year (for us wink ) but there's enough starting to come in for it to get interesting. Couple of hundred saugers, small greens and a few of those little devils like the one in your avatar to make a few hours in the boat worthwhile whistle. Hopefully the drawdown doesn't happen this weekend like usual & blow that all to $#!@, though. Everything's a week or two behind, soooo... eek!!!

Top team yesterday had 2 fish totaling over 20 lbs plus a couple kickers for dressing. That was the breast cancer derby BTW... one man & woman or two women to make it interesting (AND the money goes to a great cause grin). Thanks for interpreting, too cool.

Thanks for all the information. I'm scheduled to come up the 9th-14th no matter the weather or fishing report, just always nice to have a report. Sorry about the

'yelling", just not a great typist so put on all caps and go. Won't happen again! Didn't mean to offend anyone!

Thanks again.

Thanks for the update on the Red! Heading up tomorrow for the rest of the week. I guess timing could be a little better, but we have yet to be dissappointed (this is our 8th year). Good luck to all and I'll give a report when I return.

Bring good rain gear...and some chemical Heat Packs for them pockets, gloves, and rubber boots.

Good luck!

Just yanking your chain, myrt wink... it's all good grin. Snow in the forecast for the weekend... still haven't heard about drawdown, though frown.

I would wait tell I met Topcat in person...than yell at him all ya want...he deserves it.

LOL!

I thought the draw down doesn't happen at least until the 15th, is that true? This is only my 4th year coming up there, we always try to go 10-14 because we've been told draw down is 15th or later, never been told by anyone who probably really knows, just other guys who think that is when it happens. We're leaving early friday, I can hardly sleep.

They've got one curtain open now, but drawdown is scheduled for the 14th... whether they'll open 'em all & blow it away or do it gradually is anyone's guess frown. Last year was early because of that rain we had to the South.

Water is up some here in the South on the Headwaters and Central Red River Basin and a bit muddy due to heavy rains. Yet the joint effect of the "Drawdown" and the rains should clear by then. Once the rains stop that is.

A tip is by watching the USGS REAL TIME river levels at Grand Forks and Pembina real time river level gauge sites, it helps to determine the rainfall effects about 1-2 days ahead of the St. Andrews Dam, more or less.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nd/nwis/rt

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?05092000

Colder water clears faster than warm water, so as the water temps fall clarity improved more quickly. The water temps are falling nicely on the Red.

Public Works and Government Services Canada

Oct 08, 2008 11:07 ET

St. Andrews Lock and Dam, Lockport, Manitoba: Closing Date for 2008 Navigation Season

WINNIPEG, MANITOBA--(Marketwire - Oct. 8, 2008) - St. Andrews Lock and Dam will be closed to marine vessels at midnight Tuesday, October 14, 2008, for the season. Navigation through the lock will be discontinued on this date, and reopen in spring 2009.

Weather permitting, we will begin raising the dam's control curtains at 8:00 a.m., Wednesday, October 15, 2008. From this date, water levels of the Red and Assiniboine Rivers, in the vicinity of the City of Winnipeg and north to Lockport, will be lowered gradually over a two week period as the dam is removed. Should winter conditions set in, the dam will be completely removed as required.

Owners of vessels, barges and all property on the Red and Assiniboine Rivers and their tributaries are hereby notified to protect their property.

The gated areas below the dam, used for shore fishing, may be closed due to high turbulent waters and dangerous currents, inclement weather or operational requirements. Once closed, these areas will remain closed until spring 2009.

Topcat:

Any fishing reports the last couple days. Water Clarity and temps also.

Thanks,

WG

Quote:
Water Clarity

frown... It's the Red, WG... it's freakin' crystal clear whistle . Oh yeah, it's cold, too (52F-ish on Thursday... it's snowin' like $#it & 23F outside right now with a 23 mph NW wind howling, so subtract a bunch from that, too wink ).

Fish are there, I'm not eek.

Snow or no snow, or wind, if I could be there right now...I would be.

Topcat....your a wienie...Eh! smile

Topcat....your a wienie...Eh! smile

Aw, Eddy... you're makin' me blush blush!!!

We'll have the augers runnin' sooner rather than later by looks of the great white outdoors this morning, eh eek .

A bit chilly, I can't stay inside any longer. Headed out to try to find a piggy this evening on one of the cleaner running tribs of the Red. Get my Vex suit on, and go collect a few cockle burrs.