• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Independence Fishing Reports

ratherbefishin

Hey guys I have a buddy coming down from the leech lake area and I want to show him to some fish because everytime I go up there we kill em. I'm thinking about independence. Anyone willing to share any tips or structure I should look for?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DuckBlind

• familyfisher

• TundraKing

• little chief

Cant say much about on Independence. It be hard to win over like the bite on Leech. But if you want Walleyes I go for the Croix or Pool4/Pepin.

Start in 20' and run parallel with the shore. You'll find quite a few points that top off at 10' or less. There are several rock piles with huge boulders. Look for the "spot on the spot". There are plenty of secondary spots close to classic spots. Remember what you've read about fishing in clouds, sun, or wind...

Jig/minnow, or drag spinners on bottom bouncers w/ Gulp crawlers or fatheads are my 2 favorites.

Bring some patience when launching/loading!

Let us know how you do.

TC

any news on independence? im after my first muskie. any tips on lures? good starting spot? im not asking for anyones honey hole. what type of lure/color usually produces in this lake? ive never fished it before. water depth? any info is helpful thanks

• 1 month later...

I will be camping on this lake for the first time. Anyone willing to share any information about this lake for musky anglers?

• 11 months later...

Has anyone been out lately for bigger fish on Indy? I was out a few weeks ago and saw a handful but no hits. I'm thinkin about getting out again this weekend and working south of the island. Wondering if anyone else has been wetting their lines on Indy.

• 5 months later...

Is it time yet? Can a guy pull out his wheel house??? Thinking about heading that way in a week or two, hoping to get the house out.

Crappies?

Walleyes? Are there walleyes in Indy??? crazy Never had any luck!

I'm considering heading over there tomorrow.

If so, I will report back to you.

I'm sure the ice is good enough.

Anybody driving trucks out there yet? I had my snowmobile out there a few weeks ago and ice was coming along nicely. Thanks for the replies guys

I was out last night didn't measure the ice but around a foot and a half. Nice clear ice trucks all over. The ramp is out on the sw side also. Plenty of the usual potato chip crappies. If you want the kids to have some fun get on around 30-35 fow at sunset.

I was out there on Friday for the majority of the day. Measured the ice with a tape, 15 inches of clear with 2 inches of white on top where I was. Caught a bunch of small perch and some crappie, no luck on the eyes for me that day/night.

I've been out a few times too. As of Sunday there was a good foot and a half of ice and with the cold temps I'm sure even more now. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find the fish yet. Nothing but some relatively small perch fishing both the SW bay and the point off of the landing. I may try getting back out there tonight though if I get out of work at a decent time. Hopefully I'll have something better to report tomorrow

• 2 weeks later...

Wondering what the ice is like on Indy. Can I drive a SUV out and get to the north end to fish?

Any action lately?... Wanna take my 3 year old out.

• 3 weeks later...

well Indy su cked for me this year... couldnt catch a decent eye if my life depended on it. Plenty of 8 inchers though!

I had the same luck with eyes, crappies were better but small. Hopefully the eyes do well and all those 8 inchers make it a few years. Could be good!