• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Independence Fishing Reports

ratherbefishin

wow no prior responses!!

Went out this morning to Indy.

Fished from about 9:30 to 2.

Not a single Nort but had 5 or 6 Muskies follow up. No monsters - about 35 to 40-ish.

Mainly just kind of fooled around throwing some larger northern sized spinner baits and some mepps #5 in line spinners.

Thats all to report. Was a beautiful morning.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DuckBlind

• familyfisher

• TundraKing

• little chief

I'll be heading out casting for northerns and maybe trying for some eyes at dusk.

I'll report back.

I was out at Indy today and I couldn't buy a bite from the slimmers.

While I was fishing for sunnies I did have a big ski follow up a sunnie as I was reeling it in. Pretty exciting to see that.

• 7 months later...

Could someone please tell me if anyone has been on Lake Independence near long lake? Ice conditions? Where to access the lake, parking if can't drive on yet? New to the lake and going there on Sat with a bunch of buddy's. Thanks so much for any replys. smile

check out the lake finder on the DNR web site...it should tell you where the accesses are....I imagine you will start to see people driving on this week....parking may not be an issue....you should be careful though because some lakes still have sketchy ice conditions

Is the park open in the winter to drive into or do i have to use the public access on the south side?

I've fished Indy quite a bit, I grew up in Orono so it was a different option aside from Tonka.

Indy has some walleye in it but most of the ice fishing is for crappies. Never seen a mounter crappie come out but if you get them on the right day, you could have some fun.

The park landing is the best option for getting on. There is another access by the intersection of Lakeshore Blvd and Pine St. but can get chewed up and isn't an ideal option. Pretty steep, too.

BassFisherman, I owe you a favor, shoot me an email. LilWeestrand@aol

Thanks for the info CrappieNight! have you or know anyone that has been on the lake latley? i'd like to drive on cause we all have lots of gear. But i'm one of those guys that doesn't like to drive on until i hear from others on the ice thickness before i even test it.

any tips for where to try for a late afternoon- evening bite? just a general direction from the landing of the park would be helpful.

Basically just drive straight out into the middle of the lake. Look for 25 ft or deeper. Now I've only fished the lake in march, but I can't imagine it's any different this time of year.

Thanks JBMaster. It's gonna be cold so i guess we'll see how the fish bite. Gonna be about 10 to 15 of us out there to so atleast be some good conversations if the fishing isn't ideal. Like i said though just hope the ice is good enough to drive on. should be after this cold week.

Crappies are small but many to be had. We have been waiting for the ice to thicken up out there to try and hit some eyes. This is one of the last lakes in the area to freeze up so am also wondering what the ice is looking like now.

Sounds like you fish the lake offen? I know JBMaster said middle of the lake in 25fow, any suggestions for closer to shore?

Sounds like you fish the lake offen? I know JBMaster said middle of the lake in 25fow, any suggestions for closer to shore?

Independence is for sure a fun lake to fish! Your best bet for crappies is like others said...straight out maybe a little to the right in 20-30 fow. You will for sure pull in crappies in those depths! Just remember pulling up fish from 30 ft you might have keep them due to the pressure change. Good luck to you and your buddies! I'll have to get my butt out there soon too.

Thanks for the tip! yah we don't plan on keeping any fish but will if we have to due to the pressure change. People think i'm weird but I don't like to eat fish, i'd rather preserve the lakes and just fish for fun.

just reel em up slow if your fishin deeper....if you let em fight they can adjust to the pressure better

FYI, i just talked to a buddy who's good friend lives by and fishes Indy all year and said that the ice is perfectly safe to drive on. lots of cars and trucks. Although didn't give a thickness. will give an update after Sat.

Quote:
i'd rather preserve the lakes and just fish for fun.

Amen, and you're not alone or weird for that.

I'm not even in my 30's yet and have a 5 and 2 year old. I'd just like for them to enjoy the lakes as much as i do. Same thing for Canada. go up evey year for a week with 12 guys and come home empty. My family has been up there for 35 years straight to the same lake and would like for my kids to enjoy it up there as well.

Ive been out on Independence a couple times this year for walleyes, and cant seem to find anything with size. The biggest has been 14 inches with the bulk of them right around 9 or 10. The best action Ive had was on the big sunken island in the middle of the lake in around 24 fow.

New to the cities looked at this lake and looks like a good fishery dont know anything about it im a hardcore fisherman and gonna try it out any tips on depths or any bars on the lake?? Maybe meet up with someone?? I dont want a specific spot i feel a man should have to find the fish him self i get mad when people ask me so dont want anyone to tell me just want to know if the ice is safe for a full size truck yet!

Got out the other night, 6pm - 10pm...nothing. Set up in 22 ft of water about 400 yards out from the point on the SE side. Just used crappie minnows. Hoping to find a decent spot for crappies and get our perm shack out there. Nobody is out there, guys were driving full size trucks, seemed a bit sketchy. 10 inches where we were with about 4 inches of white ice on top of that.

I dont need a map w/ an X on it but anybody feel like helping me with at least an area on that lake where we could try out? Any help would be appreciated!

Got out the other night, 6pm - 10pm...nothing. Set up in 22 ft of water about 400 yards out from the point on the SE side. Just used crappie minnows. Hoping to find a decent spot for crappies and get our perm shack out there. Nobody is out there, guys were driving full size trucks, seemed a bit sketchy. 10 inches where we were with about 4 inches of white ice on top of that.

I dont need a map w/ an X on it but anybody feel like helping me with at least an area on that lake where we could try out? Any help would be appreciated!

If your in search of crappies I would recommend setting up earlier than 6 pm and going straight out from access and set up in 20-30 fow and you should be able to catch some crappies

Have caught plenty of dink walleyes the last couple times out. Not finding anything of size for me yet.