• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Independence Fishing Reports

ratherbefishin

I fished in 35 feet between the Park and where most of the permanent house are set. I caught two crappies and two perch with minnows and spikes. I didn't bring my shelter so I didn't stay out past dark. Ice wasn't as bad there.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DuckBlind

• familyfisher

• TundraKing

• little chief

Well i found a few crappies but they were small at least i caught a few it took alot of searching let's just say 25 feet of water and away from the crowds. Also caught a few bonus bluegills which were pretty decent size.

I'm curious about this too. I've been waiting to drive so that I can take the kids out without having to haul them in the sled.

• 3 weeks later...

Fished from 4pm until 7pm. Had one decent bite, but couldn't get a hookset. That was all. Ice was well over a feet thick. Drove a full size truck on it. Landing is good as long as you stick to the right side. Get in the middle and it's deep snow. Lake just had some small spots where snow was maybe 2 inches. Otherwise, it was alot of open patches of ice. I saw maybe 10 other vehicles out there. Very, very cold night, especially with that wind whipping around.

Indy is a good musky lake, I fish it often in the summer but rarely catch waldos over 10". I brought my wife out there last summer because she wanted to catch her first waldo and I knew it was a sure bet, we caught as many cigars and we could handle. I heard of a couple guys pulling 28" waldos last winter but nobody believes it because the lake has never produced those type of winter fish before. The crappies are ok if you have a lot of beer to wait them out, real hit or miss. If you're looking for a good crappie spot, I would drive past Independence and go to Buffalo, I know the crowds suck out there, but setting up away from the towns around 20FOW between the rock pile and the deep hole on the west side of the lake jigging a #8 or #10 green glow with waxies should get you dinner.

I have not been to this lake but it is in my area and I was thinking of checking it out. Does anyone have any advice or reports? Any information would be great.

Anyone going out tomorrow? I'm going solo and have never fished the lake. Any advise about the panfish would be appreciated.

You should see some houses out in the middle of the lake from the access. The ones for crappie are in 30 plus feet. (there are some by a mid lake rock pile for walleyes generally but they will be shallow) Crappies need a few more years before it gets ok again. Most at 7 inches. Fishing was great about 5 years ago but as word got out 20 fish houses turned into about 60 one winter and the crappies got fished out. (either that or I just flat out cant catch any decent ones anymore)

GOOD LUCK

I am heading out there tomorrow for the first time this year. Headed away from the crowd for some walleyes and then over by the crowds for some crappies.

Anyoune been out there in the last week that can speak to the conditions/thickness of the ice. I drive a trailblazer.

I fished Independence a lot last year. Found a hump in one of the bays. Always a house set up there. Caught some nice eyes, Biggest was 23". Kinda hit and miss from day to day, but thats fishing!! Anyone know how the ice is?

FisherMan - I have the same game plan in mind. I drive a rusty ranger with rear wheel drive so I'm curious about the conditions as well. If you have any pointers for an Indy newbie shoot me an email.

There's not much for snow on the ice. Just keep to the right when going out of the landing as the middle has deep snow from drifting and will suck you in. Trucks would be okay for going out of the landing, but I wouldn't take a car. If you can get on the lake with your car you can go anywhere.

Ice was around 15 inches thick.

There's barely anyone out on the lake.

Got out to Indy for the first time ever. Slow going until sundown,then the vex lit up like a christmas tree and I was having a tough time managing two lines. Caught a bunch of small craps and one perch. Brought home 5 that didn't want to go down the hole. Fresh fish for dinner. Thinking about heading back tomorrow.

Was out last night and picked through 40 Crappies to keep about 5. No luck with the Walley but still holding out hope for some action this weekend!

I haven't been out to my permanent on Independence since last tuesday. Is there snow on the lake now to actually bank a house in a little bit? I just put it out in 24 FOW last tuesday evening. Is there a night bite on this lake at all? Once we were setup it seemed like everyone else started heading in after it got dark. I'm heading out there tomorrow any info/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Matt

I'll be out there tomorrow also. We're fishing for walleyes. I guess he's been getting two a night from 4-6pm.

• 3 months later...

Just looking for any reports or advice on if the Norts are active on Indy? Just generalities- dont need specific spots or anything like that smile

Going to try and get out tomorrow morning - and will report anything back here as well.

Thanks

Hoffer