• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• timjones

• Finlander

• sartellangler05

• pushbutton

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks for the tip. Good information. I was searching environmental impact of zebra mussels and never found any of these links. I still find it a bit strange that despite knowing about their presence

Talking to a coworker that lives on the lake, it has been frozen over since last Saturday morning. Cloudy skies and below freezing temps all week so I suspect it has been making ice. Whether it's "saf

Posted Images

How's the ice thickness in front of Holiday resort?

Haven't been by Holiday lately. There is a lot of traffic on Manthey's Bay and some truck traffic in the area around Buck Point, Battle Point and Schultz's Bay.

Looks like Hwy 94 got re-routed through narrows on mantheys bay. Fish can't seem to get to the north end of lake anymore.

Looks like Hwy 94 got re-routed through narrows on mantheys bay. Fish can't seem to get to the north end of lake anymore.

Yep, pretty crowded around there. That's why I don't fish Manthey's any more. Haven't for probably 10 years. Got out there early one day, nice day, and by the time I went to leave late afternoon I had a hard time working my way off the lake through all the vehicles, houses and tip ups. Plenty of fish else where.

Anywhere from 8-11" of good ice. We are checking ice prior to moving around. I think it is time to go explore some less pressured areas on the lake as well. Found some crappies (had to pick through them) this afternoon and eyes tonight on shiners.

Anywhere from 8-11" of good ice. We are checking ice prior to moving around. I think it is time to go explore some less pressured areas on the lake as well. Found some crappies (had to pick through them) this afternoon and eyes tonight on shiners.

Thanks for the report.

Sifty

Fished Osakis Friday and Saturday before getting too sick from a cold.

Anyways alot of car/truck traffic all over the lake.

Ice was 12" where we cut holes on the north end.

Fishing was slow for walleye's as we only caught 2.

One was 21"! Alot of small crappies too small to keep.

Next time! grin

whitetail_freak

yes, one tons are driving out now. and lots of small crappies and sunfish. Have to do some searching to find some nice fish.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Official Fishing Report Team - MN
IceHawk

I will let you going up there tommorow.

As of last week they slowed down a bit, but I was still able to bring home a meal of nice fish (saturday). They are definitely down there, just a matter of getting them to bite. I fished with my aqua vu... constant fish swimming through, most of them wouldn't even look at the bait no matter what i was using. Lots of small crappies around, you can pick up a few decent ones early morning and before dark. Good luck! Keep us posted how you do, I've been debating going back one of these days.

Bite might have slowed down some but still catching plenty of fish this past weekend. Haven't been out this week yet. Constantly marking/seeing fish just a matter of getting em to bite. Caught biggest crappies 12am-2am this past weekend. Forgot camera or would have had pics.

Was up on Osakis Sunday to catch some panfish for a fish fry only to catch 6 for the bucket as alot of small ones kept the pike active where we were fishing.

We could see pike attack our shiners below the ice as were were lowering the bait which was cool to watch!

Ended up keeping 5 pike from 5-3lbs. Cleaned them all with no bones.

Good eating there! full-983-29296-image.jpg

grin

All crappies over the deeper holes are small.

7-8" max!

Most won't go back down the hole after getting the bends from any water deeper than 25'.

Quit fishing the deep water and fished Mantheys Bay where you can catch both bluegills and crappies in 17-18' of water where the bigger crappies are. Plus some bluegills we caught were 8-9".

Good Luck!

IceHawk

Just got back 3 of us got our fish tough conditions but they are there just takes a little coaxing to get them to go. Got a mixed bag of gills and crappies. We didnt hole hop as much being the conditions we bascially anchored down in the traps once we found fish. Boy is there going to be a nice year class of crappies in a couple years. grin

IceHawk

about 16-18 ft cut some holes when you find them there stacked.

IceHawk

Not sure we usally get our fish during the day. I would assume there would be a good crappie eye bite in the evening good luck!

Yes there is a night bite there, but crappie size is the same!

Go to the rock piles for walleye evening/nite bite. grin

Fished osakis fri sat and Sunday went thru 5 tanks of gas on auger all dinks in bay by head of the lakes found big crappies by the rocks and nice sun fish in millers bay

THE_Cable_Guy

Making my maiden voyage to Osakis this weekend to fish with some family. Would love to get some tip ups to go off with a walleye or two or some slimers. I have a GPS unit with a lakemaster chip. Anyone give me some ideas on where to possibly start? I have 0 problem with putting in the work and drill a bunch of holes, just looking for a decent place to start. Any info would be awesome. Thanks

Getting some eyes off breaks around Coon and Battle Points and on the rocks. Northerns seem to be plentiful just about anywhere from 10 feet till 18.

• Rick changed the title to Lake Osakis Fishing Reports

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• iiccee63
      By iiccee63
      Ice is making it's way now! Thanks to last nights 9 degrees. The lake has officially froze over evenly. Will give another report Friday! Should be walking out and fishing in 10 days!
    • IceHawk
      By IceHawk
      We have lost one of the good ones. Had a long conversation with him on Gull lake in a Bass tournament we both were fishing couldn't of met a better person very down to earth classy  comical person . He and his brother AL have been my idols since I was a kid. Rip Ron may the fishing gods shine upon you. 
    • IceHawk
      By IceHawk
      Well Today was my maiden voyage on the ice and boy was I stoked to hit the Hardwater again! Felt great to get back on the Hard pack for another season. Plus side was I even managed to put some nice fish topside. 😀   I fished the NW corner of the state and found a good 4-5 inches on the lakes and areas I fished. This wasn't the norm though most of the lakes either just capped over or were 1-3 inches. Need some serious cold stable weather to firm things up. Cant stress ice safety and common sense in these early ice periods. Ill continue to post the current ice conditions I come across in my adventures throughout the season and hope others will also. 
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  It's a waiting game.  Hoping for cold temps and calm winds.  This past week saw some strong winds blow ice around the basin, eating up some of the thinner ice that had formed.  Forecast looks promising to lock things up in the very near future.  Resorts are monitoring ice conditions on Four Mile Bay, Zippel Bay and various areas of the shoreline.  It's important to wait until they say it's good to go and stay on their marked trails when it is time.  Resorts and outfitters monitor ice conditions now and throughout the season daily.  Some spearing and angling for pike in back bays.  
      On the Rainy River...   The river is covered in most places with a layer of ice.  Most ice fishing is done on the main lake during the ice season where there isn't current.  There can be some good ice fishing on the Rainy, but with current in the river, work through a resort for safety.
      Up at the NW Angle...  With the border closure, NW Angle Resorts and Community have pulled together and will have an ice road up to the Angle so anglers can access resorts.  The NW Angle Guest Ice Road ice access on the south end will be at Springsteel Resort.  More info on Facebook @nwaiceroad.  
      The Angle is iced over and resorts are monitoring ice thickness.  Some resorts have been checking for walleyes in a few spots having good success.  It's not ready yet, but the ice is coming along nicely.  

• JBMasterAngler
      By JBMasterAngler
      While on my way home from work this morning, I seen that Peltier Lake was frozen over. Clear Lake was probably 99% froze over...looked like a couple random little open spots from geese. To my surprise, Forest Lake was completely iced over. Someone was still busting through ice and duck hunting though. This is very encouraging, as I was hoping to hit the ice this weekend, somewhere north of Hinckley. Tonight’s low is supposed to be in upper teens. Anyone else see other lakes?
    • AlwaysFishing23
      By AlwaysFishing23
      Anyone been out for a drive? Did about a 100 mile loop today and things are looking better few lakes that were rolling last week we’re caped this morning. Hope to find someplace to fish next weekend. Got myself in to much of a rut going to work and sitting around every weekend.
    • Rick
      By Rick
      Let's see your pics!!!

2020 Lake of the Woods Fishing Reports - Click Here
      Click Above for 2020 Fishing Reports↑↑↑↑
      2009-2020 Lake of the Woods Fishing Reports below↓↓↓↓
      Go ahead and post your Lake of the Woods fishing reports and conditions in this thread.

More current Fishing Reports - Click the >> link above to the right after the NEXT link.

For 2019 LOTW Fishing Reports - Click here.

Questions welcome too.

Fishing Reports by the TOP Lake of the Woods Fishing Guides, Charter Captains & Resorts are in here - Click Here.

Lot's of good info and our best members posting below already. Newer Reports are on pages that follow.

Be sure to give back and share your fishing reports here as well

Thanks.
    • opsirc
      By opsirc
      Has anyone been out to check ice on any lakes in area. Heard there was 2-3 inches on strand. 
    • SkunkedAgain
      By SkunkedAgain
      Yup, I started it. Seeing people post about water temps in the low 40s, and knowing that there will be a lot of cold temps this week....we may see the small bays freeze. I have a vested interest as I'd like to make it up next weekend, but have strong doubts that our small bay will be ice-free. Let's hear those reports as the lake begins to change.
    • papadarv
      By papadarv
      Looks like NOAA national weather has modified their colder than normal winter with December being quite a bit warmer. May be a struggle to get good ice by Christmas especially Southern two thirds of the state. Getting above average snow (as forecasted) will also hamper ice build. Hope they are wrong.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Luveyesdorfmn
      Good morning all. I was perusing old posts and guys talked about amish spears made near Long Prairie, MN. Does anyone know if they still make them? How do I contact them? Does anyone know of any other makers? Thank you! 
    • Wanderer
      Ok, couldn’t resist.  Just did a spud check and only had 2 inches of ice this morning.  Off to work I go...
    • JerkinLips
      Oh so many, but I will keep it to my worst 3 on Vermilion (associated photos follow).  Hope I don't win (or lose?).   1979 - duck hunting in Stuntz Bay with my friend in a 17 foot square-stern canoe, a decoy cord got caught in the 6hp Johnson prop.  Rather than going to shore to untangle, I attempted to free it on the water by tipping the motor up and reaching back.  When I started losing my balance in this awkward position, I decide to slide into the water rather than tip the entire canoe and my friend.  Finished setting up for hunting and left my friend in the blind while I went back home for dry clothes.   1981 - water-skipped my dad's 1973 Arctic Cat Cheetah 340 snowmobile over 70 feet in the Stuntz Bay little narrows.   1998 - in late March I went to fish lakers on Trout Lake on an extremely foggy morning.  I was dragging my portable fish house loaded with gear (close to 100 pounds total) on the rear bumper of my 1993 Polaris Indy 440.  I left McKinley Park two hours before sunrise and headed for Canfield Portage.  When I reached a shore I followed the shoreline but didn't find the portage.  This was before I had a GPS and visibility was very limited due to darkness and fog, so I spent the next 1½ hours looking for the portage.  During this search I crossed open stretches of water 5 times going around points while following shorelines.  When it finally started getting lighter I realized that I was on the east end of Pine Island.  I then went around the back side of Pine and made it to Trout Lake well after daylight.  Only caught 5 eelpout that day.  
    • CigarGuy
      Been looking for 7+ years, get a few here and there, no consistency! Spring/fall is a different story 😄
    • BWpineisland
      Good call. I have no idea. Probably will not work?
    • CigarGuy
      Hi Bob, did you see my picture taken out in front of my place? The son of the guy that lives on Partridge Rd was out fishing out there-in the middle of the channel. Went out from Ron's access. Also, snowmobile tracks out along our shoreline. Ron didn't know how they did fishing. Did you get a deer? I might be up this weekend, if my layoff starts Friday. 
    • CigarGuy
      Thanks, I looked at what band I have and all I can see is Band 2, not the 12/13-17. So I don't know if I should order it or not. I have att, a android phone, if anyone knows if that will work????
    • BWpineisland
      The box it came in is at the cabin and until the ice is good I wouldn’t be back. If you don’t get one before Christmas let me know and I’ll look at the numbers but the ad is identical. 
    • BWpineisland
      It’s the same one I bought in June. I see the $30 off coupon also. Good deal!   I temporarily mounted it on my deck and pointed the antenna towards Cook and it worked so good I haven’t bothered to mount it on the roof. I was amazed with the coverage. It worked with one of my buddies ATT phone also. Good luck. 
    • Bbobber
      Does anybody know what the ice conditions are on the west end of the lake. I am hoping to get out this weekend hoping to find some of those monster crappies.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.