• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

shake and bake

So with the cloudy water...would i be able to get by using some thicker line for the sunfish? and for walleyes it should make things a little bit easier correct?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• timjones

• Finlander

• sartellangler05

• pushbutton

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks for the tip. Good information. I was searching environmental impact of zebra mussels and never found any of these links. I still find it a bit strange that despite knowing about their presence

Talking to a coworker that lives on the lake, it has been frozen over since last Saturday morning. Cloudy skies and below freezing temps all week so I suspect it has been making ice. Whether it's "saf

Posted Images

JIvers

Some color in the water, be it from algae bloom, sediment, or whatever, should help the fishing on opening day, as would wind or clouds, of course. Wind or clouds, even if the water is as clear as normal, makes the Northern fishing in the pencil reeds better, too.

I was on Osakis for the first time last year on June 6. (I knew better, but was eager to get up there. laugh ) We had mostly calm, sunny weather, and on those calm days I could see my shadow on the bottom in 15 FOW, along with shells, rocks, weed clumps, and patterns in the sand. It was nice to see, but did not make for easy walleye fishing during daylight hours. Again, in my experience the most consistent May walleye action on Osakis is in the shallows after dark.

The color is definitely not from an algae bloom. I am assuming it is just sediment from the runoff/high water. Who knows that could even clear up by the weekend. Again I am basing the statement 'the water is dirty' from nearby cabin owners as this is my first opener.

Wayne Ek

Not to give away any deep dark secret, but for years we have always had reasonably good luck fishing the emergent pencil reeds with a slip-bobber rig and leech on a small (remember small) jig head. Your choice on color, as it seems to change depending on the weather conditions.

So I thought I would post our results.

We went out in that cold weather Saturday morning (a little after 6:30) and on our very first drift we caught one a little shy of 21 inches and a legal eater. Thought we were gonna have a day. We caught them on shiners and jig. The fishing slowed plus where we were fishing everybody and there brother was anchored slip bobbering making it next to impossible to drift. Given that we caught our fish at least 50 yards apart (one in 15 foot of water and one in 11) it seems hard to beleieve that being anchored was an efficient technique.

We did catch a couple more shorts in the morning. In the afternoon we casted for northerns like suggested in this thread. We caught some and it was fun but we actually caught more bass than northerns. That got me excited for the bass opener.

We went out in the evening again drifting and my buddy caught a nice 24 incher and a couple of shorts.

Sunday morning we put three in the livewell. This time we were drifting quite aways away from the anchored boats. Again the fish seemed spread out.

So we had fun and at least we caught some. If fishing truly gets a lot better come June then I guess I can not wait.

We caught enough panfish on Friday to have a fish fry on Saturday night.

All in all a fun opener.

Thanks for all the input and suggestions.

Sounds like you did pretty well on Osakis for an opener. Trust me, in five weeks the walleye fishing will be better once the algae bloom happens and the deep weedlines grow in.

On that note, I am not surprised drifting worked this weekend. The weeds haven't really grown yet, so the fish would be more dispersed. The crowd of boats anchored on the structure would have broke the schools up, too, especially if the water is as clear as normal for this time.

All those anchored boats were not totally out to lunch, though--they were just a month early in their tactics. Once the water turns green and the weeds grow in, fish will usually be concentrated on the outside weedlines, and drifting or trolling bait on the edges is a hassle. Drifting bait on those 11' and 15' areas you caught fish on Saturday will be a serious challenge in six weeks. Slip bobbers are the most reliable way to catch walleye on Osakis most of the time past mid-June. Trolling or casting crankbaits do have their moments and places, though.

Taking the family to osakis next weekend to do a little camping and fishing. I have never fished the lake before but heard it can be really good for walleyes.What presentation would work the best this time of year? Is it best to fish sunrise and sunset or is it good fishing all day long.Thanks in advance for any info.

Will be staying at Idlewilde red lund 2025 le,stop and say hi.

Myself and a few buddies stayed at Idlewilde for a weekend around the same time you'll be there. The best walleye fishing was right out in front of the resort. Trolling with Lindy rigs with a leech seemed to produce the most fish. We also had good success trolling shad raps crayfish color. The bite was at dusk and carried into the dark. A lot of people had great success fishing for walters right off of Idlewilds dock once the sun went down.

We didn't catch a single panfish during our stay but caught a lot of pike and a few bass.

Essentially, the advice for fishing Osakis on opener pretty much holds for Memorial Day, although the walleye bite will probably be a little better as water temps rise and the weeds grow.

MikeB2205

Just curious what the best areas to hit over the 4th of July usually are. What is usually the hot fish bitting at that time. It will be my first time fishing Osakis. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

carpmanjake

bluegills are always biting on osakis, i have alot of luck in lagoons in july, alot of BIG post spawn females, as well as big bass.

if you want pike or walleye, im no help at all

MikeB2205

Thanks for the help. I've got a couple of younger nephews that would love to catch big bluegills as well as my self. Any crappies spots during this time of year anyone know?

The Fourth is a good time to fish Osakis for pretty much everything, so long as the recreational traffic isn't too bad. I'll be up there the weekend after, concentrating on walleye.

You'll find very good numbers of walleye on the deep weedlines; live bait on a slip bobber works best most of the time. By early July the Northern will be out there, too--no need to target them, as you'll get plenty of hammer handles fishing for walleye, along with a few snipped lines. Look shallower for larger walleye...

The pencil reeds should have plenty of bluegills; fish a small leech on a small hook and bobber with eight-pound test. That seems a bit heavy, but it'll make pulling fish out of the reeds easier, plus you'll probably hook something larger than a bluegill a time or two.

As for crappie, I've never targeted them that time of year on Osakis. I have made a few accidental catches while fishing for walleye on the deep weedlines, but I don't know if that is the best place to look for them.

And, the bullheads bite very well in the shallows after dark. laugh

MikeB2205

Thanks a bunch for the reply, sounds like a good lake to catch all types of fish out of. We're really excited to try it.

MikeB2205

Hey eyehunter when you say deep weedlines, what do you mean? Where you locate weeds in deeper water, what depths do you normally look for?

The deep submerged weeds in Osakis are coontail, and they end at about seventeen feet of water. Find that depth, along with the proper turns and pockets within the weedline, make sure the wind is blowing in to that spot, and you'll find a lot of fish.

There are emergent pencil reeds in the bays, out to about seven feet of water. That is where you'll find the bluegill, largemouth, and on windy/cloudy/rainy days, Northern.

There are also a lot of submerged cabbage beds that start about where the pencil reeds end. These are the "shallow" submerged weeds that don't grow as deep as the coontail that makes up the "deep" weedlines. You'll sometimes find Northern and bass over the cabbage beds, too.

Finlander

Going up this weekend and haven't seen any news about Osakis lately.

Anybody having any luck? confused

carpmanjake

if not they will be soon! i have a secret spot on osakis for BIG sunnies, but im not sharing until i get a few wink

The deep submerged weeds in Osakis are coontail, and they end at about seventeen feet of water. Find that depth, along with the proper turns and pockets within the weedline, make sure the wind is blowing in to that spot, and you'll find a lot of fish.

There are emergent pencil reeds in the bays, out to about seven feet of water. That is where you'll find the bluegill, largemouth, and on windy/cloudy/rainy days, Northern.

There are also a lot of submerged cabbage beds that start about where the pencil reeds end. These are the "shallow" submerged weeds that don't grow as deep as the coontail that makes up the "deep" weedlines. You'll sometimes find Northern and bass over the cabbage beds, too.

I am coming down the 2nd week in June to do some fishing---mainly bass, crappies and walleyes if i can find them--and was wondering if the coontail and cabbage weed beds are pretty easy to find or are they only certain areas? It will be my first time fishing this lake and have considered using a guide. Anyways thanks in advance.

carpmanjake

here are some sunnies from this weekend.

saturday:

101_0523-1.jpg

101_0524-1.jpg

101_0525-1.jpg

sunday:

Image0000.jpg

sorry for the poor quality, took it with my phone

firefish_12

hey carpmanjake--care to share your spot--I have some little kiddies that love to help catchj and release those sunnies

if you want you can email me @[email protected]

By the second week in June the cabbage beds should be growing pretty well, and are visible in calm water...which is not a good thing. Clear water = spooky fish, especially in the shallower areas where the cabbage grows. The pencil reeds should be starting to grow, too.

The coontail will be starting to grow, but still too short to see except on really calm sunny days. You may or may not be on Osakis when the algae bloom takes off--it will depend on the weather. If you have a sonar or flasher, you can mark the weeds even on the windy or rainy days.

The cabbage and coontail beds are pretty widespread, but there are patches of sand where the weeds are thinner. The rocky spots don't have much plant growth, but that's OK--fish like rock. Be sure to note where the rocks are--your prop will not like them. They are marked with buoys, and noted on good lake maps of Osakis.

Even after the algae bloom you will be able to spot the shallower cabbage most of the time, and the key to the deep coontail is to look for about 17', as that is as deep as it grows. And by the time the algae gives the water that green color, the coontail will be high enough in the water to spot.

carpmanjake

email sent. i love kids, sharing my spot is the least i could do.

Finlander

My brother and I caught 16 15-20" and over walleyes over the memorial weekend tasted good over a shore lunch! Snappin on raps!

1eyeReD

My brother and I caught 16 15-20" and over walleyes over the memorial weekend tasted good over a shore lunch! Snappin on raps!

From boat? Shore?

Hello carpmanjake,

Going up this weekend on a pontoon with 4 kids under 10. Would be great for them to catch a few like your pictures. Would you mind sharing the [email protected]

thank you

• Rick changed the title to Lake Osakis Fishing Reports

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  It's fall in Minnesota.  Dress warm and catch walleyes!  That is the theme with good fall fishing this past week.  The colder weather has walleyes snapping.  Most anglers anchored up and jigging with an emerald shiner.  Walleyes are relating to bait in anywhere from 15' - 23' of water.  Structure, areas of the lake adjacent rivers / streams and areas in front of bays holding good numbers of fish.  Pike continue to be active in bays and along shorelines.  Trolling crankbaits continues to catch anglers a mixed bag.
      On the Rainy River...   Some commenting this is one of the best runs of emerald shiners up the river in years.  The river is still low, current slow.  More and more walleyes are coming into the river each day.  Best depths anywhere from 7-24'.  Most anglers are jigging with live or frozen shiners.  Pink, glow and gold combo effective.  The fish are moving often, try different current seams, flats or holes until you find them.   When you find them, action can be fast.  Don't be afraid to pull crankbaits over flats where fish are spread out and you can cover water.  Four Mile Bay holding walleyes in 10-15'.  Sturgeon anglers focusing on deeper holes with current.  Nice smallmouth bass being caught by walleye anglers.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Until the US / Canada border opens, guests can travel across the lake staying and fishing in MN waters.  There are boat shuttle / passenger services available to the Angle.  Check with your favorite NW Angle resort for options.  
      A nice walleye bite this week up at the Angle.  Jig and a minnow on points and areas with current all good places to start in 13'-26'.  Gold, pink, and glow colors great choices.  Some big pike caught by walleye anglers jigging.  Pike and muskies in bays and off of rock points. 

• JBMasterAngler
      By JBMasterAngler
      What’s the status of small lakes in the arrowhead? I’m going to Grand Marais this weekend, and the forecast looks pretty miserable 😩 I have a feeling I’m going to be busting through ice to launch my boat. But is it at all possible that some of these little designated trout lakes could be locked up completely? 
    • JBMasterAngler
      By JBMasterAngler
      DNR has a proposal to remove the dam on the Grindstone River, in Hinckley. The reservoir, which serves absolutely no purpose, is about 27 acres, and is nothing but mud and silt. I’m in favor of any and all dam removals! They’re taking comments via e-mail until November 12. If you want to write the DNR, subject e-mail “Grindstone EIS” to [email protected]
    • Hawkem9
      By Hawkem9
      Hey guys, 

Looking for some opinions from those of you who fish the lake consistently.  We take a fall trip every year and have been on the cass chain the last 5 years.  Planning on heading to Vermillion this year.  We have two dates in mind being either the 18-25 of Sept or the 9-16th of October.  Love to be somewhere in the middle but it wont work this year.  We will fish Smallies/wallys the majority of the time and planning to stay on the east side.  Would any of you suggest one of those times over the other?  I am seeing the current weather up that way and its making me a bit nervous about the later dates, but if the fishing is better by mid october will certainly risk some colder weather.  Thanks for any input!
    • evinrudespeed
      By evinrudespeed
      So the weather really tanked!! I was hoping to fish until November before winterizing the boat.

Anyone been out...either reservoirs or up Hwy 53? Any idea of when landings start pulling docks...probably on DNR site huh?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Great fall fishing this past week.  Walleyes were active with most anglers anchored up and jigging with a minnow.  No surprise walleyes are relating to bait in anywhere from 9' - 27' of water.  Good reports around the lake.  Structure and current areas holding good numbers of fish. Good walleye reports from Four Mile Bay in 10-15'.  Pike continue to be active in bays and along shorelines.  Trolling crankbaits will catch you a mixed bag.
      On the Rainy River...   A strong run of emerald shiners this past week brought more walleyes into the river.  The river is low, current slow.  Anglers reporting groups of fish from Wheeler's Point to Birchdale.  Most anglers are jigging with live or frozen shiners.  Pink, glow and gold combo effective.  Try moving hole to hole until you find fish.  Change the angle of your jigging using different weight jigs.  Pull the jig forward against current, let it fall back and bang bottom.  Trolling crankbaits over flats where fish are spread out also effective.  Sturgeon anglers focusing on deeper holes with current.  Good reports of smallmouth bass again this week.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Until the US / Canada border opens, guests can travel across the lake staying and fishing in MN waters.  There are boat shuttle / passenger services available to the Angle.  Check with your favorite NW Angle resort for options.  
      Walleyes active this week up at the Angle.  Jig and a minnow on points, areas with current, and bay mouths where there is bait all good places to start in 8'-24'.  With the many islands, lots of spots to fish.  Gold, pink, chartreuse and glow colors great choices.  Crappies in mix, 15-30' adjacent to structure.  Pike are active.  Muskie anglers reporting action trolling cranks or casting jerkbaits in cabbage weed bays.  

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  The traditional fall pattern of a jig bite for walleyes continues on the big lake.  There are various schools of walleyes located across the south shore.  A good place to start is 9-15' or 22-29' adjacent to rivers, creeks and bays.  Anchor up, jig over the side of the boat with a frozen shiner or fathead.  Anglers reporting going through numbers of small walleyes and saugers to catch nicer eaters.  Decent walleye reports also from Four Mile Bay in 10-15'.  Pike are active in bays and along shorelines.
      On the Rainy River...   Anglers catching nice walleyes in the river, not the big numbers yet.  Current on the river and the river itself is low.  Most anglers are jigging with frozen shiners, although trolling crankbaits to find fish still effective for some.  Sturgeon anglers focusing on deeper holes with current.  Good reports of smallmouth bass this week.
      Jigging with a minnow on structure with a bit of current in 8-24' effective for walleyes.  Gold, pink, chartreuse and glow colors great choices.  Some crappies in 15-30' adjacent to structure.  Muskie anglers reporting action trolling cranks or casting jerkbaits in cabbage weed bays.  Water temps in the mid 50's. 
    • evinrudespeed
      By evinrudespeed
      Heading out to Leech in the cold temps...hoping to stay at least dry. Any reports or bait suggestions? I’ll keep you posted.
    • Snogan
      By Snogan
      Just wondering if anyone else that fishes the Root (especially below Lanesboro) has ever patterned or had any luck targeting sauger/eyes. This is my first year trying for them after hearing whispers for years and I've been surprised with my results. So far I've caught 5 sauger and 4 eyes out of the Root this year, a 17 inch Sauger and a 22 inch eye being my biggest so far. I know the river is a lot better known for trout but if anybody else has had any luck targeting other species I'd love to share reports or tactics. 
    • papadarv
      By papadarv
      Finally got out fishing this season, long weekend on Ottertail, Vacationland resort. Lots of wind Fri & Sun, Sat fairly calm. Marked lots of fish but slow bite with a few walleye & perch. Crallers, raps, suckers, shad. Day 16 - 19 FOW deep side of weeds and 6 - 9 FOW shallow side of weeds after dark. 61 to 62 deg water temp. Lots of bait balls at 17 - 19 and suspended at 20 - 25 ft in 40 - 150 FOW. Much needed fantastic weekend.
      Pics, multi helix 9 SI - DI - Sonar, cabin lake view, Son, Grandson. Hard to believe the monster perch hit a 3" Sucker.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  It's fall in Minnesota.  Dress warm and catch walleyes!  That is the theme with good fall fishing this past week.  The colder weather has walleyes snapping.  Most anglers anchored up and jigging with an emerald shiner.  Walleyes are relating to bait in anywhere from 15' - 23' of water.  Structure, areas of the lake adjacent rivers / streams and areas in front of bays holding good numbers of fish.  Pike continue to be active in bays and along shorelines.  Trolling crankbaits continues to catch anglers a mixed bag. On the Rainy River...   Some commenting this is one of the best runs of emerald shiners up the river in years.  The river is still low, current slow.  More and more walleyes are coming into the river each day.  Best depths anywhere from 7-24'.  Most anglers are jigging with live or frozen shiners.  Pink, glow and gold combo effective.  The fish are moving often, try different current seams, flats or holes until you find them.   When you find them, action can be fast.  Don't be afraid to pull crankbaits over flats where fish are spread out and you can cover water.  Four Mile Bay holding walleyes in 10-15'.  Sturgeon anglers focusing on deeper holes with current.  Nice smallmouth bass being caught by walleye anglers. Up at the NW Angle...  Until the US / Canada border opens, guests can travel across the lake staying and fishing in MN waters.  There are boat shuttle / passenger services available to the Angle.  Check with your favorite NW Angle resort for options.   A nice walleye bite this week up at the Angle.  Jig and a minnow on points and areas with current all good places to start in 13'-26'.  Gold, pink, and glow colors great choices.  Some big pike caught by walleye anglers jigging.  Pike and muskies in bays and off of rock points. 
    • CigarGuy
      Your neighbor Chad pulled his boat out Sunday. Down my way as of yesterday, things are wide open
    • JBMasterAngler
      What’s the status of small lakes in the arrowhead? I’m going to Grand Marais this weekend, and the forecast looks pretty miserable 😩 I have a feeling I’m going to be busting through ice to launch my boat. But is it at all possible that some of these little designated trout lakes could be locked up completely? 
    • Darrell Larson
      I live on the north side of Pike Bay was helping our lady friend down the road pull her dock out last night. To my surprise there were ice chunks floating in the dock area. You may be all right for next weekend for open water, but if this current trend keeps up, it won't be long after that. Tourists are gone, seasonal cabin owners are thinning, cabin lights across the bay at night are far and few. I will now begin my annual hibernation, seems like it's been going on forever with the covid virus and all. You all stay safe.  
    • DTro
      It's truly amazing how social media has transformed our lives.   Seems like not too long ago there was no such thing as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or TikTok.    Where did you go for fishing information, research, brotherhood and fellowship?   You spent a lot of time at bait shops, reading magazines and newspapers, or you dialed up into a fishing discussion bulletin board on the world wide web.   I'm a geek who preferred the electronic version so I spent A LOT of time online reading everything I could on web forums and discussion boards.  I came to find a primary home here with Fishing Minnesota in roughly 2000.   I dove in and met a lot of great fishing and personal friends.  I was provided the opportunity to get involved with the marketing side of fishing and learned quite a bit about the business of fishing.   I've been saddened to see how participation in forums such as this and others I follow, have crashed with the growing popularity of other platforms.   What brings me here though today is to stop by and say hi to all my old fishing friends.  About 4 years ago I started a Catfish/Sturgeon guide service.  It has been growing steadily each year and one of the reoccurring themes I seem to experience is how many of my guests refer to Fishing Minnesota Dot Com and how they came to recognize me and my activity there from years ago.      For several years this site reigned supreme when it came to current fishing news and information and a place where everyone was here to help and became a brotherhood for many.  While there was always some political stuff tossed in, for the most part it was a place to forget about the world and focus on our favorite past time.    Oh how times have changed.....      I hope everyone is doing well and pushing through all the background noise in todays world.  What we are currently experiencing does not bode well for our mental health and I hope things change soon before we find ourselves in another 1863 Gettysburg.   I'll share a great experience I had the other night with a Mother/Daughter captured by Ben Garving (Award winning KARE11 photojournalist).   He really did a great job in capturing what happens when you forget about outside things for a while and spend time with family and just sit back and enjoy our great outdoors.   No matter your political views or your thoughts on our natural resources and how they are managed, this is something we can all come together and embrace.    Take care!   KARE11 Sturgeon Story Click Here
    • gimruis
      I have encountered this problem for years now.  I see all kinds of ducks on the city lakes I fish and then when duck season rolls around, they're STILL on the city lakes and there's virtually none to be found on the ponds I can hunt.
    • Rick
      Nearly half a million firearms deer hunters are preparing for the firearms deer season that opens Saturday, Nov. 7, and offers opportunity to spend time outdoors with friends and family, find adventure outdoors and put venison in the freezer. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      Mountain bike trails expanding at Cuyuna Country SRA Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      A weekly list of news briefs about fish, wildlife, and habitat management. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.