• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just a question.  What is fishing etiquette on this lake?   Whether your in a boat or fishing off a dock, if you happen to get lucky and catch something, 10 boats swarm on you like flies on s*#t.  Go so far as bump into your boat or pier, cast over your line, etc.  What happened to common sense?

Lol....that's rhetorical correct ?.....as it seems you already answered your own question. Yeah, welcome to the craziness that is Osakis. 7,000 acres to fish and guarantee if you parked on an 80 ft hole with no fish underneath you, you would have fisherman company within 16 minutes. While I have seen this on other lakes, this one does seem to be "extra special", seemingly  with the inverse of equipment cost translating into fishing skill. It is what it is though. Either 1) move on......you will catch fish elsewhere, 2) have a nice conversation and try to help out  the people that truly don't know any better.... usually out of staters that have traveled far and spent a lot of money for 10 crappies, 1big pike, and 2 small ones, or 3) cast back over the lines and ding the motors with a *sincere* apology ..... for the true Richards  :whistle:

• Thumbs Up 1

I've been having good luck this year with the crappies averaging 12" a fish. Catching em mainly right before the sun goes down  also a lot of small bass and pike and a walleye in the mix 

image.jpeg

• 1 month later...
On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2015‎ ‎11‎:‎26‎:‎50‎, pushbutton said:

Lol....that's rhetorical correct ?.....as it seems you already answered your own question. Yeah, welcome to the craziness that is Osakis. 7,000 acres to fish and guarantee if you parked on an 80 ft hole with no fish underneath you, you would have fisherman company within 16 minutes. While I have seen this on other lakes, this one does seem to be "extra special", seemingly  with the inverse of equipment cost translating into fishing skill. It is what it is though. Either 1) move on......you will catch fish elsewhere, 2) have a nice conversation and try to help out  the people that truly don't know any better.... usually out of staters that have traveled far and spent a lot of money for 10 crappies, 1big pike, and 2 small ones, or 3) cast back over the lines and ding the motors with a *sincere* apology ..... for the true Richards  :whistle:

Haha, this was my first year on Osakis and I noticed this very early on.  We call it the "Osakis fish finder".  Not sure why fishing etiquette on Osakis is so different than anywhere else but we got used to it pretty quick.  Nice part is you get to meet new people! 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

Is the access open at Battle Point? I know the docks wont be in, but just wondering if I can still launch a boat there...

After the fog lifted today I could tell it was open water from the outer edge of the rushes in Schultz's Bay all the way over to Battle Point. Can't tell you if there was actually ice right at the access though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sitting at the table eating breakfast Saturday morning and I could see what looked like a white wheel house being pulled into the parking area at the Battle Point access. Took the spotting scope to take a look and there was two of them there. The other house was red. They sat there for 20 minutes or so and then left. May have been some wishful thinking going on. Looked out a little later and saw some guys in a boat fishing. Maybe they took their wheel houses home and got out the boat.

We are nearing record ice in dates. According to the MNDNR ice in records map, the latest ice in for this area was back in 2001 and occurred around December 20th give or take. I couldn't find any records with regard to Osakis in particular but Mary froze over that year on the 19th and some others on the 20th. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Took a drive around the lake about 3:30 this afternoon. Looked like it was totally locked up as far as I could tell. Went from lots of water Thursday to some water Friday to locked up today. Saw one person ice fishing. He was out about 100 feet from shore and a little right of the 145th Ave access to Manthey's Bay.

• Thumbs Up 3

I went 100' out in Schultze's Bay Sunday morning and drilled 2 holes.  3" of ice, not quite enough for me. So I went back in the cabin and put new line on 11 poles and went back home.  Maybe next weekend.  There were 5 houses out on the north end when I went by.

On 12/22/2015, 7:26:27, whitelund said:

I went 100' out in Schultze's Bay Sunday morning and drilled 2 holes.  3" of ice, not quite enough for me. So I went back in the cabin and put new line on 11 poles and went back home.  Maybe next weekend.  There were 5 houses out on the north end when I went by.

Permanent houses?  or portys?  Anyone else been out and know the ice condition on the north end?  Coming up Friday only and thinking I could maybe talk the family into going out if its safe.

Talking to a coworker that lives on the lake, it has been frozen over since last Saturday morning. Cloudy skies and below freezing temps all week so I suspect it has been making ice. Whether it's "safe" or not, well, ice is never really safe. 

I remember a few years ago in late December when I decided to go out at Battle Point. There were a couple permanent houses out off the point and vehicle tracks so I figured it would be okay for me to drive my truck out. I went out about 50 yards and decided to check the ice to be sure. It was about 10" thick so I drove about another 50 yards to where I was planning on fishing. I got out of my truck, fired up the auger, and almost dropped it to the ice because it went through so fast. I was on about 4" - 5" of ice over about 50' of depth! I about messed my pants right there. Put the auger away, got in my truck with the door open, and slowly backed off the lake. 

• Thumbs Up 4

5 hours ago, mntim said:

Permanent houses?  or portys?  Anyone else been out and know the ice condition on the north end?  Coming up Friday only and thinking I could maybe talk the family into going out if its safe.

all one man portables

• Thumbs Up 1

4 inches seems to be the norm in the areas people are walking out. Mainly portables. There are 4 small spear houses that are set up in the northwest corner of Schultz's Bay and one in Coonhoven Bay. Not making ice very fast because it just hasn't been getting that cold. Supposed to start getting colder this weekend.

Any advice for some Osakis newbies? We went out there this fall in the boat and did alright with crappies, but we've never ice fished it before. I'm assuming even with the recent cold weather, we'll still be walking out instead of taking the truck? We're heading up there tomorrow. Just wondering if you guys have any recommendations on what accesses to use, how far out to go, presentations, anything and everything! My tentative plan is to walk out to 10-15 fow, try to find the edge of the weeds, and hang out around there, or maybe a little in front along the first break line? I'm mainly concerned about location, where to walk out from, and any general info on where to try to find the fish right now. Thanks guys, really appreciate it! I'll make sure to share a report tomorrow night or Wednesday.

Unless you want to go on an underwater adventure I would not drive anywhere on the lake with a truck. Most people fish the north side but there are crappies everywhere in the lake. Wherever you go be prepared to have multiple people join you.

TMF I'm actually heading out there tomorrow early. Will be either in Schultz Bay, or Mantheys Bay. Blue Clam Kenai. Maybe see you out there.

• Thumbs Up 1

If you see a couple young guys in Ice Armor and Striker suits with an old Clam Guide, say hey! Any advice on depths or presentations? Appreciate it!

Ah for walleye you want to be out there an hour before sunup, or fish them the last hour in evening. I don't think I've caught a walleye out there ice fishing after 10 am. In Schultz bay I like the 15' mark, but have gotten them in shallow not far out from the bulrushes. I'll have a rainbow chub under a bobber on first line. As for 2nd line, an action rig I'll be switching back and forth between a minnow head on tingler spoon, or chubby darter, depending on which works best.

As for crappie, just drill in 20+ ft of water until you find them suspended. After that it's not much work to figure out what they want.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah I figure we'll try to get there around 7-8 to try to catch a few minutes of dawn if we can, then just target crappies/gills until evening. So you'd recommend heading straight for deeper water with the crappies, instead of poking around in shallow a little?

SartellAngler you are a true sportsman .   Thank you from everybody for sharing advice to help someone else have an enjoyable fishing experience . My Hats Off to You .

• The title was changed to Lake Osakis Fishing Reports