• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I have a sunfish mounted that I caught in Ottertail county, the mount measures 13.5 inches long, the fish weighed 1 pound 9 ounces. I don't remember what the actual length of the fish was, I caught it over 30 years ago. I assume the length of the mounted fish is pretty close to the length the fish was.

Highly doubt a 2 lb sunfish. I could see a respectable 16-20 oz...if so I'm sure we would see it in the upcoming outdoor newspaper.

Don't doubt 1.5 - 1.75 but 2? I don't know about that. Lived ont he lake when I was a kid and every fall we would get numerous fish in the 1 - 1.25 lb range and even bigger every once in a while. Nothing ever close to 2 but the forage in the lake and growth rates are good enough so it could happen.

Anyone have a recent ice report? Can you still get out? Have a friend from Scandinavia out who wants to try American ice fishing. Any resorts on the lake a guy could call?

Most recent was Friday. A few wheelers and mostly walkers. Don't think your getting on with a vehicle for 8 months or so. Would try calling the general store....some of the resorts, or at least bring waders and/or planks.

Just came back from Osakis this morning, and I haven't seen anybody on the lake since saturday.

Ice has pulled away from the south facing shorelines out about 30'.

I wouldn't ice fish Osakis, too dark and spongy now!

see about 5 guys fishing the narrows down from the head of the lakes resort this afternoon, don't know how or where they got on.

Did anyone come accross an ice rod case with 6 rods and tackle that last 3 weeks on Osakis? My brother was out there about 2 or 3 weeks ago and realized it fell out of the sled when they got home, 90 miles away.

• 3 weeks later...

Water temp at the end of my dock last monday afternoon was 48 degrees.

Should get into the low 50's by opener.

Slow opener for sure with water temp between 43-51 degrees.

5 walleyes total for 7 people. Went crappie fishing and limits were easy.

Good time with a great fish fry of crappies, sunfish, and walleyes!

Got out for 30 minutes before the storm on Saturday and had 3 in the box in that time. Think deep

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone catching eyes on the Big O yet, or is it a dead sea like everywhere else I have been this spring? Any input helps, thinking this might be my next stop. I'm 0-6 on my outings for catching a walleye this spring, and needing some guidance..

If u know the lake your doing great. I was up there last weekend for the first time every for eyes and was only able to most 6 and didn't keep any all were in that 14" range

I went out and caught no eyes, but a buddy was trolling raps over the weeds and did Ok. Had to weed through several under the slot but his boat kept 5 and had plenty of action. Enough to keep his grandkids happy.

I'm heading up to Osakis this week for a quick trip with my boys (14 & 7). Can't wait! Hope the fishing picks up....but thanks for the tips re: trolling Rapalas. We had good luck with trolling last summer. We hope to hit some crappie also.

Any up-to-date info would be very much appreciated...want some action for my boys (& me).

Any word about the water level with all the rain lately?

Last time up the walleyes were biting out side the pencil reeds in the evening on leeches!

I'm on the lake now...staying at Buck Point Resort. The owner says the water level is fairly high...had to put his docks up higher, but did that early summer last year also. We are having a good time here...weather has been beautiful. Would rather have a little chop on the water with at least some cloud cover, but my kids and I are having a great time on the lake. Only a 3 day trip...too short to find the hot spots for the walleye. We're catching some, but not like I'd like to at this time of year. Whenever we troll raps, we can't keep the pike off the lines! We've caught over 300 crappie though, in 2 days.

Finlander, I'll have to try the leeches right off the pencil reeds! Thanks for the tip...I'm willing to try any options.

Any word about the water level with all the rain lately?

Last time up the walleyes were biting out side the pencil reeds in the evening on leeches!

Lake keeps on rising. Raised the dock two weeks ago and I think I may have to do it again. Had another 2 inches of rain today. Saw on news that Alex had 3 inches. More rain coming for this weekend. We need some drying out time.

We had a great trip to Osakis! The weather was good except for the rain on 6-5-14. The walleye were biting for us right before the rain. Then they really hit on 6-6-14. We were there for 3 days and had 3 fish at or over 27", one each at 24", 20", 18", 17", and several between 14"-16". All caught in 14-17 FOW.

Great crappie bite also. I think we caught over 300 crappie between myself, my 2 boys, and my brother! Not anything huge, but most were between 10"-12".

We'll be back for a week at end of July. Can't wait!

Caught our limit of 10 to 14 inch crappies with two hour last night and this morning right in front of Buck Point Resorts docks .....

Heading up the weekend before the 4th through the 4th weekend and staying at one of the resorts. Anyone get out last weekend? Have the bluegills moved onto their beds yet? Has to be getting close - with all the cool water falling I am hoping its delayed a week or so. Have the walleyes moved out deep yet to the summer haunts or are they still getting them in shallower water - under 15 feet?

On Saturday, I caught 7 walleyes trolling plugs in about 7 foot of water. 4 were between 14" - 14 3/4". Three were between 15 1/2" and 16 1/2" so no monsters but it was fun. Seems a lot of the boats fishing the tournament were fishing deeper. No doubt some of the tournament guys caught fish much larger than mine.

I did not fish for pannies but some of my neigbors caught some keeper gills and crappies fishing right next to the dock. The gills were still full of spawn.

Im staying at Lakeshore and the only 14"ers Ive seen are dogfish. On a serious not, we like to fish off of the docks when the weather gets rough. Tough to do when boats come in and anchor at the end of the dock and fish. My grandson cant get a line in the water. I realize that no one owns the lake, but try being courteous and give the poor dock fisherman a break. Its a 6000 acre lake, plenty of room for everyone. Thanks, Rivernut.

If that ever happens when there, I just send my kid out to the docks and let him cast where ever he wants without any guidance ......couple crossed lines later, the boats usually move winksmile Absolutely agree with ya, its all public water, but to watch a dude with a 30,000 set up .....set up on a couple elderly people, swinging zebcos and huge red and white bobbers, who get to fish once a year...... is quite disrespectful. Love them doggies by the way.........

Got out to Osakis at 3pm yesterday. Fished 12-20 fow drifting, casting slip bobber with minnow. Boated 7 eyes. Kept 4 in the 16-18" range and one at 23". What blew me away is not getting any bites past 7pm. Tried a couple different spots and nothing...I thought for sure the night bite would yield a few more, but unfortunately not.

I have lived on osakis for 30 years and I can tell you right now its 8 inch crappies not 10 to 14 inches . they are catching those little guys all over lake so no need to bother poor people on docks I feel sorry for those 2 resort owners having to fight with people all the time cause they can't find a fish else were! Also bring lots of bait lots of 14 inch walleyes so tough to get keepers . its a big lake crappies biting on every weed line !!!

...On a serious not[e], we like to fish off of the docks when the weather gets rough. Tough to do when boats come in and anchor at the end of the dock and fish. My grandson cant get a line in the water. I realize that no one owns the lake, but try being courteous and give the poor dock fisherman a break. Its a 6000 acre lake, plenty of room for everyone. Thanks, Rivernut.

I agree. My rule of thumb: Homeowner out enjoying his dock or shoreline, I swing wide and pass by his dock and shoreline. Homeowner out enjoying his back yard, I go ahead and fish his dock.

It's not about rights, it's about courtesy. If a homeowner is on his dock, tending his water toys, enjoying his beach, etc, the courteous thing to do is not sling baits in his general direction.

If he is mowing his lawn, sitting on his deck, grilling burgers, or playing croquet, then I see a clear path to fish. At that point, if he doesn't like it, that's his problem, not mine.

Agree 100%. Was this am enjoying a perfect day. Came back to the resort unable to get the spot that my boat is tied to because a boat was blocking the way between the two docks. Did what I had to to get in. Some of these idiots dont get it at all!!!! One pontoon had the id # covered. Said they were from a neiboring resort starting with an H.....Really!

• The title was changed to Lake Osakis Fishing Reports