• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anyone remember when Lake Elysian use to have a lot of nice walleyes in it? Late 80's early 90's..... I use to see people catching nice 'eyes just shore fishing... Yeah it use to be a nice lake, seriously!!!! And I guess Cannon too while I'm at it... What happened to all those lakes???

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Team Otter

• zepman

• Scott M

• abcnerdd

I remember. Honestly, I haven't fished out there for at least 3 years...probably longer, but before the last freeze-out it was a top-notch fishery for both #'s and size. I used to go out there at night all the time and slip -bobber fish over the rocks and just have a blast. Some of the biggest walleyes and northern I've ever caught came from this lake when it was as you described.

I know Elysian froze out like twice in a three year span in the early 2000's and I don't know if it's made its way back yet. About three years ago it had a really hot ice-fishing bite but since has cooled a little. I heard that many of the walleye they stocked in there escaped through the outlet but that could be all hear-say too. I know many others on this site know much more about the lakes situation than I do...hope they chime in.

Anyone remember when Lake Elysian use to have a lot of nice walleyes in it? Late 80's early 90's..... I use to see people catching nice 'eyes just shore fishing... Yeah it use to be a nice lake, seriously!!!! And I guess Cannon too while I'm at it... What happened to all those lakes???

Multiple year classes of walleyes still are swimming in Elysian. It's been a quiet summer out there, just the way most fishermen and women like it.

A Bald Eagle built a nest on the east shore about the time of the downfall. Coincidence? I don't think so! Not to mention the HUGE Jail Break that happened last spring, Not a fish left to be caught.(said with sarcasm)

Early ice is good out there every year for a few weeks. I got some eyes even last year. Just weird ice though, I almost stepped in a spring that was bubbling 20 feet from my house!

lake elysian reminds me of scotch lake in the cleveland area. a few years back the lake was loaded with them and people would go get a limit. but now nobody ever fishes the lake. same goes for lake whita by the mankato area. all these lakes are just hatchery ponds and once in a while there will be a good bite going on. once the bite slows and comes to an end it takes a few years for it to pick up again. just my 2 sence worth. i hope this helps.

Quote:

In a nut shell! Over harvesting. Do mainly to Ice fishermen sitting on top of them day after day filling there freezers! There isn't a lot of catch and release in Walleye fishing.

Bass fishing just gets better and better!

Quote:
A Bald Eagle built a nest on the east shore about the time of the downfall. Coincidence? I don't think so! Not to mention the HUGE Jail Break that happened last spring, Not a fish left to be caught.(said with sarcasm)

I did see a Osprey in that area too. grin

Good bites on shallow lakes usually are due to a lack of forage. There were a few shallow lakes like Elysian that had lights out bites for awhile this June and into July. While fishing pressure takes its toll, and deffinatly had an effect on Elysian a few years ago when the bite was really good, the lake was not fished out.

I can't remember where I read it, but someone once said "Don't fish memories." Lots of folks are fishing the same spots or the same lakes because they remember some good, if not spectacular fishing there. It's kind of funny, when people get really upset about the natural bumps and cycles of fish populations, they like to wax nostalgic, sometimes angrily, about how good the fishing was on lake X, and that the DNR let it go to waste, or that the locals fished it out. On Elysian, people have to understand that it is a 'boom and bust' lake. It's what, about 12 feet deep? It's going to winterkill, even with some small aerators running on it. Truthfully, a good kill is the best thing that can happen to it, so a void or vacuum can be created for walleye fry stocking. All the really hot years that are referenced above were a few short years after a winterkill and subsequent heavy spring fry stocking.

What happened to the walleye in Elysian? Angling mortality, natural mortality, early age intraspecific competition, emigration (fish over the dam)...they're all possible reasons and all likely contributors.

By the way, Scotch, Wita, and Cannon are still ripe with walleye. But that's our little secret. Elysian is waning as far as numbers...that's the nature of the beast out there. I know there is a faithful group on here that loves to fish Elysian and that's great, but its been quiet for a reason. There just aren't as many fish out there. When the winds blow the right way or you hit the peak periods, you can get fish, but its not as good as 2, 3, 4 years ago for a reason. Go out there on an average summer day between Independence and Labor days and you will have a heck of a time picking up any walleyes. Not all lakes are built the same, and that's especially true in southern Minnesota.

I can't remember where I read it, but someone once said "Don't fish memories." Lots of folks are fishing the same spots or the same lakes because they remember some good, if not spectacular fishing there. It's kind of funny, when people get really upset about the natural bumps and cycles of fish populations, they like to wax nostalgic, sometimes angrily, about how good the fishing was on lake X, and that the DNR let it go to waste, or that the locals fished it out. On Elysian, people have to understand that it is a 'boom and bust' lake. It's what, about 12 feet deep? It's going to winterkill, even with some small aerators running on it. Truthfully, a good kill is the best thing that can happen to it, so a void or vacuum can be created for walleye fry stocking. All the really hot years that are referenced above were a few short years after a winterkill and subsequent heavy spring fry stocking.

What happened to the walleye in Elysian? Angling mortality, natural mortality, early age intraspecific competition, emigration (fish over the dam)...they're all possible reasons and all likely contributors.

By the way, Scotch, Wita, and Cannon are still ripe with walleye. But that's our little secret. Elysian is waning as far as numbers...that's the nature of the beast out there. I know there is a faithful group on here that loves to fish Elysian and that's great, but its been quiet for a reason. There just aren't as many fish out there. When the winds blow the right way or you hit the peak periods, you can get fish, but its not as good as 2, 3, 4 years ago for a reason. Go out there on an average summer day between Independence and Labor days and you will have a heck of a time picking up any walleyes. Not all lakes are built the same, and that's especially true in southern Minnesota.

Scott, when is the last time a fish count (i.e. walleyes) has been done on Elysian, what method was used for the count and where on the lake did the count happen? Once again, thanks for your input.

Last year. Numbers should be online shortly. Trap nets and gill nets. I'll try to get some feedback about how much longer before results are available on Lakefinder.

Last year. Numbers should be online shortly. Trap nets and gill nets. I'll try to get some feedback about how much longer before results are available on Lakefinder.

Perfect. Thanks.

The numbers are up for last years surveys on LakeFinder. Elysian's numbers aren't up because it wasn't a regularly scheduled survey. It will be surveyed next year, and then information will be put up in early 2011...It's a long wait, I know. But I can pass along a short narrative about last year's netting. This is courtesy of the Waterville DNR office:

Quote:
Elysian lake in Waseca county is a 1,902 acre lake located on the southern edge of the city of Elysian. A DNR owned public access is located on the northern edge of the lake, off State Highway 60. Two county owned public accesses are available; one located off Waseca county road 3, 1/10th of a mile south of Reeds Lake Road and the other located in Okaman county park on the

south shore of the lake.

Elysian lake was surveyed the week of July 14th, 2008 to monitor the fish community. Relative abundance of fish community members has shifted considerable since the 2005 survey.

Common carp dominated the 2005 catch following the winterkill of 2004-2005, averaging 867 fish per trap net and 181 fish per gill net. In the 2008 special survey, carp averaged 7 per trap net and 67 fish per gill net. A glut of carp exists in the 10-11 inch range from the 2005 year class.

Black bullhead abundance has increased since 2005. Bullheads averaged 12 fish per gill net and 23 fish per trap net in 2005, 45 per gill net and 2 per trap net in 2008.

Northern pike are doing well in Elysian lake. The lake has been used as a pike broodstock source for the Waterville DNR fish hatchery since 2006. In 2005, pike averaged 25 fish per gill net and 1 fish per trap net. In 2008, pike averaged 8 per gill net and 2 per trap net. Size structure has increased; average (mean) fish weight for gill netted pike rose from 1.1 in 2005 to 4.3 in

2008. 33 pike were caught in gill and trap nets in 2008; of the 33 fish, one third were over 30 inches in total length. The 2005 survey turned up an average of 30 white sucker per gill net, an excellent forage base for pike. The 2008 survey returned an average of less than 1 sucker per gill net and 2 sucker per trap net. Pike appeared gaunt below a certain size threshold, which may have to do with size limitations on being able to prey on young carp. Larger fish that could feed on the abundant 2005 year class of carp had good body mass relative to length.

Walleye abundance has declined to 4.3 fish per net since the 2005 survey of 51.0 fish per gill net. A variety of factors may have led to this decline including angling harvest, inter or intra-specific competition, winter or summer environmentally-based mortality, and emmigration. Walleye fry are stocked at a rate of 1,000 fry per surface acre, three out of four years and following winterkills.

Moderate levels of abundance were detected for black crappie and bluegill. Both species were nearly undetected in 2005 and in 2008 were netted at a rate of 3.1 black crappies and 6.6 bluegills per trap net. Black crappies ranged between 5.4 and 9.6 inches. Bluegills ranged etween 4.7 and 8.7 inches.

Other species observed in the survey include golden shiner, largemouth bass, bowfin (dogfish), and bigmouth buffalo.

Why hasn't Elysian ever been eradicated of its rough-fish following a hard winterkill like it's known to have. You would think it would help out the game fish species that are always stocked following such an event. I just don't get why this lake can't sustain a better sport-fishing population for more than a few years at a time...including panfish and/or bass which seem to be almost non-existant out there. Lot's of area lakes depend on the use of aereators to keep them viable through the tough winters but for some reason, Elysian just dies. It's sad, too, because the fish grow like weeds once introduced in this lake.

Why hasn't Elysian ever been eradicated of its rough-fish following a hard winterkill like it's known to have. You would think it would help out the game fish species that are always stocked following such an event. I just don't get why this lake can't sustain a better sport-fishing population for more than a few years at a time...including panfish and/or bass which seem to be almost non-existant out there. Lot's of area lakes depend on the use of aereators to keep them viable through the tough winters but for some reason, Elysian just dies. It's sad, too, because the fish grow like weeds once introduced in this lake.

from what i have seen its hard to kill rough fish with winterkill .....still possable and im shure a lot did die but but they can take some pretty low o2 and still make it

My folks live on a lake that is, at best, 4.5' - 5' deep year round. It has the rough fish in it, and no matter how hard the winter is (cold, snow, ice thickness) the rough fish survive. Even in times when the ice is 2' - 3' thick, they continue to survive.

Carp, bullheads, etc. are very, very hardy fish.

Originally Posted By: zepman

from what i have seen its hard to kill rough fish with winterkill .....still possable and im shure a lot did die but but they can take some pretty low o2 and still make it

I think Zepman was refering to reclaiming the lake.

Quote:

Wow. when I read da_chise31s post I though it said that the small Carp in Elysian were making some nice healthy Pike in the 30" range. I may just go there for Northern Pike opener grin .

If you look at just how big of a lake Elysian is and how shallow the lake is, I would think you would need quite a few aereators just to aereate just a small portion of the lake.

After reading all this again I’m reminded of an old story. I went something like this.

Bob was landing his boat the other day when a stranger walked up and asked how the fishing was. Bob looked at him and said; you wouldn’t believe it. We must have caught our limit in 10” Perch, plate size Sunfish and nice sized Crappies. After that we started to troll. We caught 2 Northern Pike over 45” that beats my best Pike by 10”. It didn’t stop there. We came across a school of White Bass that were over 17” and landed around 50 of them. After talking for awhile Bob noticed that the stranger was looking disappointed so Bob paused. The stranger looked at Bob with disappointment on his face and said Oh, no Walleyes

To each their own. You know, different strokes for different folks. (I prefer not to to have to deal with slimy stinkers.)

After reading all this again I’m reminded of an old story. I went something like this.

Bob was landing his boat the other day when a stranger walked up and asked how the fishing was. Bob looked at him and said; you wouldn’t believe it. We must have caught our limit in 10” Perch, plate size Sunfish and nice sized Crappies. After that we started to troll. We caught 2 Northern Pike over 45” that beats my best Pike by 10”. It didn’t stop there. We came across a school of White Bass that were over 17” and landed around 50 of them. After talking for awhile Bob noticed that the stranger was looking disappointed so Bob paused. The stranger looked at Bob with disappointment on his face and said Oh, no Walleyes

I would say if Bob landed all those fish and didn't have to suffer through catching and removing 1 largemouth from the hook, well then Bob had a great day walleye's or not wink

Quote:
To each their own. You know, different strokes for different folks.

Yup. I think I would forget Lake Elysian for Walleye and try somewhere else. Like Maybe.

Quote:
By the way, Scotch, Wita, and Cannon are still ripe with walleye.

But that is just me. You know,

Quote:
To each their own. You know, different strokes for different folks.

But thats just me!

Quote:
I can't remember where I read it, but someone once said "Don't fish memories." Lots of folks are fishing the same spots or the same lakes because they remember some good, if not spectacular fishing there.

• 3 months later...

Is it worth my time to go and chase walleyes over the weekend while visiting my inlaws? River??? Elysian--Wading? If you don't want to broadcast a bite, but have suggestions-

Thank you.

knutty

I was there for an hour before sunset casting cranks and nothing to show for it. Saw one guy catch a fish couldnt tell if it was a walleye or pike because he ran to his truck so quickly. Everyone else was using live bait.