• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Twins trade rumors

IFallsRon

ESPN is reporting the same thing. At least they made a move, even though the better players were already traded. This is better than Casilla batting .160! Toronto was asking too much for Scutaro(sp) according to the Trib.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PierBridge

• KMR85

• greebs

• zamboni

This is also posted on Oakland A's website... The Twins sure didn't give up much on this deal. Must be future considerations or something else going on.

I wonder if they will keep Cabrera at SS, or keep little Nikki there? I wish they would start Cabrera and Harris, or it's not much of an improvement IMO.

Cabrera is hitting .280, 4 HR, 41 RBI, 11 SB.

Definitely better than Punto or Casilla. Hopefully Harris gets 2nd base mostly to himself.

Cabrera is also a two time gold glove winner and is riding an 11 game hitting streak into the trade. He's hitting .379 in the month of July.

I hope Cabrera is on a plane to Minneapolis right now. Heading to the game tonight so I sure would like to see him at short, Harris at 2nd and Crede at 3rd tonight. He only has a 1 year contract so this could be a rental player for 2 months.

Well it's not going to bring us an instant title. But it can only help our team. The platoon system at middle infield is getting old. Casilla is out for sure now, and Punto should only play to give relief to one of the other 3 infielders. Sounds like a good move for the squad.

If Punto and Casilla are out at 2nd base, who do you have at 2nd??? Harris is not a 2nd baseman.

If Punto and Casilla are out at 2nd base, who do you have at 2nd??? Harris is not a 2nd baseman.

He's not any worse at 2nd than those two. You have to think about the offensive side of the game, not just defense. I think Harris can start at 2nd with the boost he gives over Punto at the plate.

Have to think casilla is on a bus somewhere out of town at this very moment. I'm a little worried that the end result is that we are going to be seeing a lot less of harris now since lnp is a probably better 2b from a defensive standpoint. Not that harris is an all star or anything, but if the end result is that we basically insert cabrera for harris, then don't think it is much of an upgrade at all.

Having Harris at 2nd would be a disaster.

I'll take Punto at 2nd all day every day over Harris.

Defense is much more important in this situation.

PLUS Harris is currently in a 2 for 15 slump and his average as dropped in the Low .260's after being .300 earlier in the year.I believe he's hitting around .235 the last month or so. No surprise there being he's a career 260 hitter.

He may see some action at 2nd but Gardy ain't that dumb to give him the primary job at 2nd.

On a side note: yippee Skippy we signed a player so now Mauer can stay..LOL!

I like the move for Cabrera. A real good #2 hitter. But as long as the Twins and A's were talking, I would have liked to have seen a bigger deal to include Wuertz...

But Cabrera is strong defensively, and he strengthens the top of the lineup and deepens the lineup a bit.

Definitely an upgrade if he is a gold glover and can put any kind of wood on the ball. My guess is Harris will be seeing maybe a little spot duty @ 2nd (they don't like him on the right side of the infield) and maybe some @ 3rd depending on Crede's health.

Anyone else notice Harris disagrees with more ball/strike calls than anyone else in the Majors? On just about every called strike called on him, he always shoots a glance back at the ump. Its almost a given. He often has a word or two about it as well.

I just read on ESPN it was Cabrera and cash for Tyler Ladendorf. Why do I think that is strange? A's must think highly of the kid, or not so much of Cabrera.

Buscher is gone....Harris will back up 3rd and SS, Alexi and Punto will battle for 2nd.

That's my thoughts too. Does Buscher have options left? That might mean Casilla.

Anyone else notice Harris disagrees with more ball/strike calls than anyone else in the Majors? On just about every called strike called on him, he always shoots a glance back at the ump. Its almost a given. He often has a word or two about it as well.

YES!!!!!!!!! I was going to start a thread on it. There was a game where he struck out looking twice in a row on PERFECT pitches and he went on a big rant with the umpire! I was amazed and I'm pretty sure the team has addressed it.

He has really bad temper also often trowing his bat and dropping explitives!

He has been a bit better of late though!

Harris is a career .268 hitter. (which is 21 points higher than Punto)

Exactly and look for Punto/Cassila at 2nd instead of Harris for obvious reasons.

I think the Trade is more symbolic versus actual making us a better team, almost a lateral move IMO

Will see though!

PB and I don't agree on a whole lot of things but I do agree with him that this looks like a lateral move. For all practical purposes we traded harris for cabrera and a bench for harris to sit on (unless they have concerns that crede may be out long term in which case harris moves to 3b?). This may be a slight upgrade at ss but does absolutely nothing to address the holes at 2b and pitching.

Yep...the A's liked Ladendorf...from the Fox Sports Website:

Ladendorf is a player the A's wanted to pick in the 2008 draft, an athletic infielder with good speed who is still growing.

"He's a ways away," Beane said on a conference call. "He's a kid we really liked in the draft the previous year. In fact we were going to draft him with the next pick after the Twins selected him. We have some familiarity with him as an amateur."

Beane said he talked to the Twins over the last 10 days, but their "reluctance" to part with Ladendorf was what held up the deal.

We get Cabrera, Detroit gets Washburn and the Chicago gets Peavy! To bad none of us have a chance in the playoffs.

More on Ladendorf:

Ladendorf, a second-round pick last year, hit .410/.500/.721 in 61 at-bats in the Appalachian (Rookie) League, but fell to .233/.292/.267 in 60 at-bats since moving up to low Single-A Beloit.

Usually when Harris strikes out looking he sticks his butt out like the pitch is so far inside but hits the plate every time.

Wish coulda found a suitor for Young. Wish woulda got a reliever or package him and someone for a SP.

I can't stand the way Harris reacts after receiving a strike called or even worse, after striking out. It makes me want to slap him on the back of his head. If I were an umpire, he'd definately never get a close call to go his way at the plate.

Hopefully less of Punto, more of Harris. Punto is a putz. Way to much money for a 200 hitter. Not gonna make a difference. Still 3rd.

Harris really looked good tonite in that last inning..He is at best a utility infielder. His bat cannot even come close to Punto's defense. Harris would need to at least hit 75 points higher then his current average to make up the difference.