• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ideas for the 2 Get To Gators!!

bassNspear

elwood, see your startin trouble down in the outdoor disc forum now!!!!!!!!!!! crazycrazysmirklaughlaughwhistle

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• glenn57

• Gordie

• bassNspear

• fishuhalik

so when would it work for you guys to go and hit up winner for 4 days!

after deer hunting possibly the first week of December then could always bring the blackpowder and could aways try for the chuck the spear and blast

the past couple years for sure there was NO ice on winnie the first weekend in dec and if we choose highbanks to stay they dont open till new years unless they change there schedule. maybe bns with all his clout can make that happen! smirklaughlaugh. it takes till about then to get safe enough ice too travel winnie. as far as a date i am open anytime after new years,and if ya gotta plan it before that have a day, wont hurt my feelings.

The only time I'd recommend going is at first ice. Third River freezes waaaay before the main lake, I'd say a good couple of weeks. It's good for maybe 3 weeks after initial freezeup, then the fish move back into the main lake and scatter. It's been about 5 years, but if memory serves me right, we were usually spearing out there by the second week in Dec.

I was thinking of going the second weekend in december. I muzzy hunt, so i cant miss that first week.

I was thinking of going the second weekend in december. I muzzy hunt, so i cant miss that first week.

SOOOOOOO.... dont want me to show ya up???? laughlaughsmirk where are you thinkin of hangin your hat at nite?

second week-end works for me. as it would also be muzzy season I know of some state land that is very huntable if you wanna to that kinda thing also

im not sure, thats the problem. Highbanks is a sponsor here for Fm, but there not open in the winter time. anyone have any thoughts as to anywhere else to go

We can crash at my cabin if nothing else works out. There's also a couple of other smaller lakes in the area that I've speared before if Winnie doesn't work out. I might be willing to give the names of the lakes out to individuals if they could promise not to go back to those lakes after the g2g, but I don't wanna post them on here

im not sure, thats the problem. Highbanks is a sponsor here for Fm, but there not open in the winter time. anyone have any thoughts as to anywhere else to go
BNS, highbanks opens up for winter fishing about new years weekend. i have gone out of highbanks new years weekend the last 2-3 years perch walleye fishin.

We can crash at my cabin if nothing else works out. There's also a couple of other smaller lakes in the area that I've speared before if Winnie doesn't work out. I might be willing to give the names of the lakes out to individuals if they could promise not to go back to those lakes after the g2g, but I don't wanna post them on here
your no fun!!!!!! laughlaughlaugh i'm thinkin i may know some of them? smile so how often do you head up that way fishuholik?

next thing ya know will be spearing blind folded laugh just kidding fish thanks for the offer

No, you just have to wear the blindfold to the lake, you can take it off when ya get there. The drive might be a little interesting w/ the blindfold on, but it'd worth it!! laugh

Not as much as I'd like glenn. I get up to my folk's place by Nashwauk at least once a month in the summer, but I only been going to the cabin maybe 2x a year the last couple of years. I use to be up there every other weekend, especially during duck hunting. But I guess that's what happens when you start a family!

BTW, one of the lakes that I absolutely love I think would be spearable, but pretty difficult. It's a very clear lake and most of the fish I catch are outside weededge, 17-23fow. I've never actually speared the lake. Actually, I've only speared maybe a dozen times, I usually just angle out of a big hole. It's a really fun lake cuz I'll usually see a ton of smaller "eater" pike in a day and usually see a couple between 30" and 37". You think you guys could spear in that deep of water? I usually get 'em about 10-18ft. down, depending on the depth they're hanging at on that particular day.

hey fish I just got a tract of land up by nashwauk to hunt 116 acres with a 1/4 mile of lake shore have to look at the map to find out what lake it is again might not have to blind fold me as we may be neigbors in sorts the chunk of land is about 3-4 miles from where they are putting in the steel mill to the west of it

I think you're on sucker or little sucker, does that sound familiar? I'll have to get with you one of these days, I've fished most every lake 40 miles north and west of there at one point or another. I grew up on Bray Lake, north and slightly west of you about 6 miles as the crow flies

Great deer/grouse hunting area! And believe it or not, a buddy of mine shot a turkey right next to big sucker, about 6 years ago. They were domestics that got loose. My buddy knew the guy that lost 'em and he said if we saw 'em we could take one home with us. I'm pretty sure they froze out that winter, though

its on Big Mcarthy not sur if thats how you spell it or not I was told it has pan fish and eyes and lots of pike but the locals dont fish it be cause there is a short window for the pannies and eyes. just what I was told the property is on the south east side

My dad use to fish it several years ago and did very well on crappies in the winter, but it got fished out about 10 years ago. Come to think of it, I should probably try it again one of these days since it's had plenty of time to rebound

thanks and I'll have to meet up with ya some time cause any info of the area would be greatly appreaciated

hey fish, we have seen turkeys up by us, in the squaw lake area. they have more issues with vehicles than the weather. as far as that lake your talkin about, in my biased opinion just cuase you fish them deeper in summer doesnt mean they wont be in 6-10ft in hardwater. they cruise the weeds for lunch. and i definitly hear ya about both not gettin up there enough and the family thing. my kids are all grown can go as i please. my wife likes to go to but needs to for more than a weekend, says to far to drive for a day and a half. i disagree so she lets me go whenever i get the urge.

My wife's real understanding and let's me go as much as possible. Actually, this weekend she did some bass fishing with me and I was so busy unhooking her fish that I hardly got any time in fishing!

I've tried the lake shallow and the fish just aren't there. I know most lakes do have pike in shallower water all winter, just not this one. I actually came on the deep pike by accident. I got a bunch of pike in open water in the early spring so tried in the typical spots and got nothing, tried out deeper for some pannies and kept getting bit off so I set up some tipups

I also like to spear the deep water for pike anywhere from 8-16 fow you dont always need to see the bottom and when spearing deep I only run my decoys 2-3 foot under the ice.