• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Prior Lake Fishing Reports

Yeah that sounds bout right with Prior does anybody know where to start to catch some walleyes?

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BassFisherman

• DoubleLunger

• CrappieKilla

• Carl J.

Try to find some deep weeds and toss a jig minnow combo at them .There are also a few mid lake humps worth trying

How did everyone do this year. I have spent the last 6 openers up north and am now trying to reintroduce (sp?) myself to the south metro lakes. I have 6 young kids who have been brought up on fishing and I could use some guideance so i can put them (and myslef) on some fish. THANKS...

Well i went to Prior with my dad and we caught 2 sunnies (1 was really big), 1 REALLY fat catfish and 1 pretty big perch

Don't think there are catfish in prior but there might one or two swimming around in there

There are some huge bullheads in Prior. I caught one a couple winters ago that I swear was going to be a 12 lb walleye until I got it up the hole and saw what is was. Did not weigh it but it had to be 3 lbs.

Yeah i was very surprised too. Went out again today and caught many sunnies and 1 small bass

I never had much luck at spring, Lower Prior held some nice crappie and bass in bays.

Just got back from fishing Prior today and tonight. Me and my friend were killin the sunnies. Were catchin 9 inchers. Using jigs by the docks and i had a 5 lb bass(the thing was massive)on this small little jig, I scooped it with the net and it went through a hole in the net! I never thought a fish and a fish that big would ever go through there. I was sooo [PoorWordUsage] bout that but stuff happens.

Who all will be fishing on Prior for Opener? Will i be ok if i go out around 6 or 7?

Who all will be fishing on Prior for Opener? Will i be ok if i go out around 6 or 7?

You should be fine getting on it is gettin off the lake you may have a problem with.

Good Fishing!!

Pretty sure thats where Im gonna be, planning on being there by 6am at the latest...

Used to live out there so Ive got a few spots on the north end of the lake theres a nice drop off before a bay I used to frequent so im thinking there first. After that probably gonna throw plastics at some docks...

as usual, was hammering the big bass when fishing for panfish and eyes.....so when i tried to catch them just caught 1 and 2 lbers! still a great day to be on the water, my young son is learning how to cast, bait his own hook, ect.... and caught a lot all by himself.....so it was ultimately a great day!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new to the area and looking to try Spring Lake this year for whatever is in there, any advice?

• 8 months later...

My father is home from Florida and wants to catch some sun fish. I have not been on Prior all year but have always been able to find fish. Are you still able to get off sand point or the sportsman access and drive to the north? Thank you for helping the old man get out.

Without 4 wheel drive, I would not drive out there, but if you have any vehicle with 4WD you are fine. If you fish anywhere inside of the island, you should be able to catch some nice bluegills. I have been using very small horizontal jigs & maggots to get them.

• 3 months later...

Heading out to prior tomorrow, looking for some eyes'. Anyone know if they are biting? Been out to Spring lake a few times this year and have been catching some in about 8 ft of water on raps. Wondering if i should try the same on Prior? Any help would be appreciated!!

• 3 months later...

Just recently moved into Shakopee, MN. Have heard there is decent walleye fishing in Prior Lake. Any know whats happening with the walleye bite there at this time of year. Sure could use some tips.

• 8 months later...

I know you can catch "small" bass just about anywhere on prior and on many different presentations. But does anyone have any tips for for catching some "quality" bass? I would greatly appreciate any tips. Thanks and good fishing to ya.

Good luck on the quality bass on Prior. I have fished the lake going back to the 60's and though the numbers are the highest I can ever remember the quality is the lowest as well. I don't know the answer to why but I'm really curious. Are the larger fish being taken home on stringers? Is it like panfish where as numbers expand size usually goes down. My neighbors have seen the same thing. You will still pull in a large bass, ie 5 lb plus, but its really rare now. The bass in the 2-5 range are rare as well. I can catch 50 plus bass in a morning on just about any method but they will seemingly all be around a pound. If anyone is having better luck on the larger bass please pass along that information.

I had a friend who used to bring pics of his stringers of bass to work about 10 years ago out of Prior & there were always five-pounders & lots of other nice ones on the stringer. I got on him about it, but he just didn't care.

He did share his spot with me. I caught a few big bass out of that location, but over the years the size there declined too...I wonder why? I haven't hit it since at least '09. Might be time to get back out there just for fun.