• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Prior Lake Fishing Reports

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BassFisherman

• DoubleLunger

• CrappieKilla

• Carl J.

I was out on prior for the first time ever last Friday 12/18. We spent the first 2 afternoon hours popping holes and checking out structure. Caught walleyes in 16' at sunset, 12' later on and did a lot of moving. Our best spot was a shallow saddle area. Get close and jig em' in. We were jigging hard and when they did come in, they were flying and extremely aggresive!

What size were the walleyes? I know occasionally people have caught some big ones on Prior. A couple years ago I was in the boat and tied into a school of them but they were all 10 -11 inches.

16" is great!

How thick was the ice? WQere you on Lower or Upper prior? I'd be happy to give you my email info if you want to give up more detail grin

The ice near shore wasn't as good as out a little ways. Once you get out a little bit it's about 7" solid black ice. Talk to a guy and he said that it was open water during the snowstorm so the main lake froze w/o the snow on top. There were guys on snowmobiles $ atv's. Shoot me an email, i'll give you more info if you want.

Was out on Prior in five different spots in five straight days last week and didn't catch one walleye.

As a matter of fact the first spot I fished produced a lot of walleyes a few years ago but not this year. It was very cold that day so it may have had something to do with it.

Good Luck!

FYI, there is a city ordinance that states that you can not park on Prior Lake on the shoreline to something like 20 feet out. Too many people in the past parking on the ice to earily and too close together. Just look on Youtube and you'll see them sinking. eek

plenty of ice now to park next to shore.

Ummm yeeaaaaaaah......... That worked out great 2 years ago. Let's get past the holidays before trying the on-lake parking lot. BTW, I don't the city can place a variance on waters of the state, not that I would park that blatantly close to someone's yard.

Ya this makes me think of last year around this time when that truck went through right by the sportsmans access.

I was out there on Friday and they were parking on the ice at Sportsmans Access. We had 8 or 9 inches and certainly did not risk parking on the ice.

i'm goin out with my buddy whos on leave from the army, got any tips for catchin fish. we are walking out of the sportsmans access

I wouldn't recomend parking on the ice right next to the sportsman's access even if it is stong enought to hold just your truck. You'll probably come back find a bunch of hunyuks parked next to you. That's how those guys go through.

I can't stand that, they have the whole lake to park and they have to park so close to me that I have to worry about door dings crazy...sorry for the rant.

Was out on Monday and there was between 7"-8" of good ice on the north side. saw a few light trucks parking along the edge of the shore.

6-9 inches near sportsmans for me yesterday

snow i saw a few morons parking side to side

PEOPLE ARE IDIOTS

BY GOD DONT PARK I SAW 4 TRUCKS GO THROUGH LAST YEAR ON THE NEWS

ALL BY IDIOTS PARKING SIDE BY SIDE ON INADEQUATE ICE

GOOD LUCK

TIGHT LINES

I was out last night right south of Twin Isle in Upper Prior. there is about 8-10 inches of good clear ice with 2 or 3 inches of cloudy ice on top. A car drove out right next to my house at about 7pm. It made me a little nervous. I don't think its quite time for that.

edit: found a typo

we just got off prior sunset beach bay the bite was slow but did manage to catch some sunies and a feww crappies the snow and rain on top of the lake made the trek tough it was a nice relaxin day enjoyed the heck out of it

i was just at spring from 12-5. not even a nibble in 15 foot, group of 5 and among all of us not a fish. moved 3x none being caught anywhere on the lake sleds and atvs every where very slushy ill hit tonka or orchard tommorow

I was on Prior this morning it was very sloppy .I made the mistake of clearing a spot with a shovel for my portable and drilling a couple holes ,In a instant I was standing in 8 inches of water. I moved over a few feet, drilled two more holes without shoveling and that seemed to work better.I ended up sorting through the small sunfish and brought home enough for nice fish fry.

been hitting a few sunfish that are full of worms. anyone catching fish like this? whats the cause for this. never had this problem!