• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Prior Lake Fishing Reports

Crawler,

So the musky and nothern are the most "devastating pedators to a lakes ecology" ?

So, how is it, that Leech, Winnie, Cass and Mille Lacs are the premier walleye lakes in Minnesota?

I believe they are amongst the top Musky and Northern Pike lakes as well.

Please explain. Thanks.

tweed

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BassFisherman

• DoubleLunger

• CrappieKilla

• Carl J.

The man didn't say pikes/muskies "are the most 'devastating pedators to a lakes ecology'". He originally said

...an imbalance or over-population of Northerns and Muskies are among the most devastating...

Point is, an imbalance of anything - minnows, plants, rough fish, game fish, small fish, big fish, red fish, blue fish - is a bad thing. But some people think that just because they watch professional fishing shows and they carry setups worth a paycheck, that they can pass judgment on others and know what's better for our lakes.

There have been White Bass in Prior for a LONG time. We catch a lot of them in the winter fishing crappies. There is even a small population of smallies in there too!

I have a buddy that fishes for them in the spring time and manages a couple every other outing. He says theyre really good in size. As for smallies had a buddy that caught one 2 weeks ago that was pushing 4 lbs. Consider it a bonus when you catch one cause theyre not common.

I have fished prior for ten years, never seen a smallie pulled in. I know they are there, and would love to get one. I have never caught a pike there either. I would like to see a white bass and find out how well they fight. Last week was the first time all year I noticed the Zebra muscles there, and they were On Every Weed I Snagged.

19inch White Bass! Some of you are complaining?

I can see some of you are the' "I only fish for (name a fish) because there the best fish" fisherman.

White bass slam lures and you will be let down when you get it to the boat because it will be a lot smaller fish then the fight would have shown.

Complaining about 19" White Bass. WT*.

When White Bass are feeding you will see them dimple the surface most of the time. A white twister tail with a light jig head should work. Swim it back like a wounded bait fish. White Bass will make a bait ball and run through it picking off stragglers.

• 2 weeks later...

Headed out to Prior for a few hours this afternoon. In addition to catching a bunch of small LM Bass, I picked up 5 of these bad boys. They were hammering small plastics in < 4 FOW just outside the remaining weeds. Size ranged from 13" to 16". Good times!!

P1010010.jpg

P1010012.jpg

• 2 months later...

The main portion of the lakes north end was pretty much wide open this morning. Some ice on Paradise bay in far north end but did have some open water in the center. Wind was blowing pretty good so it might be awhile yet. South end of the lake had more ice but with all the snow I would be very cautious. You could probably fish just north of the 21 bridge in that very small bay but be very careful

Area straight East of Reeds Is. was open yesterday during the storm, iced up completely by afternoon today - with a light blanket of snow on it... little bit early yet

Paradise Bay was full of fisherman today. Out in front of Sportmans access several ice houses as well. I found about 3-4 inches of ice on the main lake, good clear ice. Along shoreline its snow covered. Tread carefully but ice fishing has begun in earnest on Prior.

hey Finlander, the bite is always the best before the masses! once the perm's show up you got 7-10 days before it slows way down. you can still get them all yr long. just need to find a quite place!!!

Was anyone out on Prior today anywhere? I assume it is making ice pretty quickly with these cold temps. Wondering specifically about Paradise Bay. How much ice there? Thanks.

I'm going to give it a try today. If anyone is out there stop by and say hi, I'll be in a green Eskimo quickfish II somewhere out of sportsmans access.

Was out last night for a few hours on the South end and didn't get one bite.

Going to try the north end tonight but my friends were there for a few hours last night with only one bite.

Working down there this week. May try it every night for a few hours.

About 10 - 12 portables out by the sportsman access. Talked to 1 guy who caught just a few small sunnies, 6" of ice. Any other reports?

Tried it yesterday morning out of sportsmans with the same results. I measured 7 1/2 inches of ice. There was a couple of wheelers cruising around.

Yep, pretty decent, had to throw back most under 7". Still worth it though, got my limit in about an hour and a half. I'm going out there again tomorrow morning. good luck. andy

any pointers on where to catch some sunfish or crappies on prior? sounds like the south end is the best bet, but i have never fished it before so any help would be nice. thanks

I have never fished prior lake and i'm thinking of giving it a try. I always read of sportsmans? Where is this located? Is there parking? I haven't fished it much because of the lack of parking.

hbomb49,

Sportsmans access is located on Conroy Street...West of 13 on 42 past Arby's, Conroy will be on the south side of 42. Once on Conroy street it is a few blocks in on the left. It is only a small "driveway" between two houses, but it is marked as the Prior Lake Sportsmans access. There is no parking on the access or on Conroy St., but you can offload your stuff and park on on of the side streets off Conroy. OR you can go out of the Sand point beach access which has ample parking, but a longer walk to the area most people fish. Hope that helps ya...

I'm looking to get out onto prior and I never have good luck for walleyes. anyone know where i should start to look there. Not asking for spots just whatto look for depth,weeds,rock,flats drops,time,baits whatever