• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bald Eagle Lake Fishing Reports

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom7227

• life=outdoors92

• jBohmer

• chippy

i was in 12-14 feet of water. no deeper than 14. not using a swedish pimple. we used just a small glow jig with a fat head or shiner. didn't matter cause they were bitin both.

fished same spot tonight and 1 other good spot but caught nothin but a freezing cold draft under my portable...this cold is gonna shut down fishin for a little while. at least we're gettin some good ice for the rest of winter. way more trucks out on the ice tonight compared to last night.

i was out yesterday, the ice was about 12" but 8-9" of good ice. i saw cars and trucks out there but by no means would i encourage it. caught a fair amount of crappies on white shrimpos. they evan prefered them over crappie minnows. i think a few very light hits by eyes in the afternoon but it was hard to say. i didnt feel like walking to the rock point so i fished both east of cigar island and west of the reed island. i did mark a considerable amount more of craps by cigar island. both times i fished just off the drop-offs. i also want to encourage people to keep the crappies out of the lake, if we do i think it could possibly increase the size of what we catch in the future. any comments on keeping crappies would be encouraged but i know it made for a good meal tonight.

p.s. i am giving the surplus of info to encourage people to catch and eat some craps so we can possibly have a better fishery for them in the future.

gps cordinates would help reduce the population of the smaller craps.

GPS coords not necessary. They are fairly easy to find wink

seriously, just go out by where everyone is or around them. and you are destined to find them. small crappies are not very hard to find at all

One of my buddies has been fishing out there since first ice. You probably heard him shooting off his mouth from across the lake. lol He goes by Psycho Mike. Cool cat, just don't get on his bad side. Quit racing the snowmobiles 3 feet from his shack or he'll come out swinging an icepick.

how much ice is on the lake now. i was out on the 31st and there was about 12". i was just kind of curious how much ice this cold snap has kicked out.

Ya any recent reports on thickness... ?

I am looking to take out a SUV and a 16' wheel house ASAP.

Anyone driving on it yet?

Because based on the reports of thinkness, the average temps and the time... there should be 12"-15" of ice now according to the chart. In a perfect world of course

Was out last night, drove all over the place after seeing a F150 drive right a cross the lake. Ice measured over 14", caught and release only a couple of small crappies.

That's what I was looking for... thanks.

We should have around 15" by the weekend then if everything stays status quo with the forcast. Good news!

Hey everyone,

I have been out of the ice fishing game for a couple of weeks due to a tree that somehow smashed the front of my truck. I finally got the truck issue resolved but I am leary of falling through the ice in my new one. Can I drive out there yet with a full size truck? I would sure like to know that there is more than 12 inches of GOOD ice underneath me first. Thanks all for the tips and good fishn'.

... I see that even before I could finish this post my question was already answered. Thanks folks!

12 inches on Saturday night due west from the landing just around the point. someone at the landing told us 18 inches everywhere on the lake, not sure about his level of math education...

one little perch and one littler wally

Was out tonight and drove my car out. Had to be 40 trucks out on the lake though. I measured 16" of ice and got 1 nice 16" eye with the usual dinky crappies and one missed flag..

Ryan

I would say the average sizde is about 7" to 8" and it depends in the the bite I have been out these this year and they bite very well, but the other night I was out there you would catch one ever so offen....

Finally a weekend where I can do some fishing... I am bringing a buddy who has not ice fished before out. I like BE and know that I should be able to find crappies easy enough. What are the chances of a walleye hitting my line from noon to early evening. I now this not peek eye fishn' but just curious if anyone gets a lucky one in the off hours once in a while. Should be out tomorrow in a blue Fishtrap (Dave Gentz Version) next to a tan Silverado w/topper. Stop by and have a beer if you wanna talk fish. Good luck and good fishn' this weekend.

what are teh better times in the late evening, or does everything pretty much shut down after dark?? i was out there on Monday night from 7 till about 10 and not a thing!

Thanks for the info D Tech. I will try and find a good eye depth tomorrow then. Seems like that every lake I hear about where they are hitting them is in some of the deeper water. Think I will find a nice deep hole out there.

Thanks Shafer. Sounds like when you were fishing is when I would expect the eye bite but you can't win every time. If I was eye fishing I would be out at 5 and wait until nine or so normally. But every lake is a little different, and a liitle luck does not hurt either. I guess jumping around a little is not a bad idea until you I something. I will give a report after this weekend if I make it out.

Hey jBohmer, I wont be hittn BE any time soon, and probably not this ice season,so I don't mind mentioning this. Try sittin just on the SE point of CIGAR. Find the FAST drop off and get in about 16 ft and use red glow w/ minnow heads on your jig. If there isn't much of a crowd within 50 ft, I'd say you'll get your chance for sure shortly after dark. It takes a walleye a lil while to get the eyes to adjust before the hunt is on.

Thanks for the hint FishSystem. I was marking some areas on my GPS last night near there but at a different depth. I will give it a shot tonight, maybe I will owe ya one. Good night and good fishn'.