• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bald Eagle Lake Fishing Reports

Someone's been out there shooting at least the past to mornings so the whole thing is being tested. Don't know who or where.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom7227

• life=outdoors92

• jBohmer

• chippy

If anyone is interested, there is a public meeting about this monday 10/17. One of the council members ( Becky Petryk ) lives on the north end. In an article in the Hugonian she says "they ((city council)) felt it necessary to pass this ordinance without a public hearing, so it would not be instituted in the middle of hunting season". I for one will be attending this public meeting and hope that many other like mindeds will as well. I find it appalling that these people think that they know what is best for the rest of us. Also in the article was one of my neighbors who claims that her dogs and children are not allowed in the backyard during hunting season because she has seen people hunting off the end of their docks. B/S an obvious attempt to justify her position. Let's all show up and be heard. I am sure that one of us is smart and articulate enough to get the point across.

Of course this (Oct. 17) has to be when I am in North Dakota, but will see if my brother can get off work early to hit the meeting. I will too if I end up returning home early.

I was hearing the distinct sounds of duck hunting this morning when I woke up. Apparently someone in Hugo isn't following this new rule...and I'm fine with it grin Waking up to the sounds of hunting at my new house is a lot better than than waking up to sounds of the freeway at my old place!

The funny thing about that is, you would think that she would know about hunting rules because, she has been the " police" of the neighborhood for years wink

• 2 weeks later...

Went out Sat AM throwing Muskie baits, saw quite a few divers flying around, unable tyo pt anyhting together for fish though, marked some fish deep, unable to get to do anything (also had some fats along). Anybody else do anygood out there?

• 1 month later...

I just heard that the Hugo City Council is going to hear the shooting ordinance again Monday Dec. 7. I was told that there may be some effort to amend the ordinance but I have no more info on what changes are under consideration.

did anyone make it to the meeting on the 7th? Grew up duck hunting the pencil reeds on the county line and was quite disappointed that I couldn't go out this thanksgiving. The Silks do not plan on hunting the point anymore, what a spot that has been over the years.

I just went around the lake and the south side looks a little strange. I can't tell if it is ice that has had all the snow blown off or if it sunk and it was water. I sure wouldn't trust the ice off the public access or anywhere on the south end at all.

or maybe you just didnt go out to get an accurate look at what you were seeing. just a thought. maybe those guys out there checked the conditions first.

Today on the south end, i saw a guy in a flip-over portable rowing out with a kayak paddle, then fishing over the side of it. grin

Hey! I saw that same guy! He was paddling really fast and towing a water skier! Dude was doing slaloms through the wake!

Ok smarty pants. Neighbor went out on the west side this morning. He said that he cut a hole on some clear ice and it was about 3-4 inches thick. He also said that where the snow was piled there was water on top and the ice was milky under it.

About 3 pm there was a portable south of the island, one on the bay on the west side about 3/4 way the lake, and it looked like the guys were over by the reed island south and west of the landing.

I'm staying at the in-laws in WBL tonight and looking for a place to fish tomorrow. Thought I'd give Bald Eagle a try. Is this a better walleye or crappie lake? Thanks for any suggestions.

if u like catching a bunch of little crappies (under 9 inches) then bald eagle would be a good crappie choice....i fish it every week in the winter, and barely ever run into a good size crappie. maybe once or twice the past 5 or 6 years. walleye is definitely a good choice. its has a good number of them and good size if you can find them. on fishin opener this past year, me and 2 other guys caught above 3 or 4 nice eaters each within an hour

They've been fishing out there since last week. Ive seen a bunch out to the reed island and even saw one near the island last friday. I fished the north end several days ago, there was 6-7" and someone thought it safe enough to use their wheeler.

I dont want to give you a false sense of security but I bet their is 5-7+ inches in most areas. But as always be safe, life jacket, picks, a buddy and check as you go.

I was on BE last night, had about 5 inches out past the reed island. Fishing was slow, I managed a few small crappies.

i would agree on the "small" part. that lake has nothin but stunted crappies. u get lucky to catch a nice one