• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bald Eagle Lake Fishing Reports

Well if your implying about my post of how much ice is on the lake where we were fishing. here is a picture of the ice. Hard to tell how much ice is there from the picture, but we measured it a few time.

Didn't mean to imply that you were not accurate, just wondering if there could be a difference in other parts of the lake. Seems to me that the ice would react the same all over but apparently not.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom7227

• life=outdoors92

• jBohmer

• chippy

Has anyone been out on Bald Eagle this week? Thinking of heading out this weekend for a break from the kids after xmas. I assume a snowmobile can make it out, but I imagine no light truck traffic yet? Are there a bunch of houses out by the island yet? Anyone catching anything substantial yet?

I live in the area, a few people have been out by the Island. Snowmobile will be just fine. I saw a small car out there the other day.. 8inches of good ice with another 4-6 of white ice that use to be slush

I went out there a few nights ago and fished from 3:30 to 6:30. I pulled out from the boat launch and found a depth I liked around all the portables by bullrushes out from the landing. Caught a tiny sunny and 3 perch, then at sunset all the fish I was marking were gone! I have no idea what people were catching if anything, I didn't see any action. I think everyone was posting up for a hopeful walleye to come in off the break.

I just got back from my first trip this season. Less snow than I expected out on the lake. At least 8 inches of clear ice. Couple of perch caught, some more and crappies showed on the camera in about 13 feet of water.

Guest amhawkmn

Was out on Tuesday. Went to southeast side of island. Saw crappies on camera were really finicky to bite. Smaller was better for bait. as the post before said there was 8-10 inches of good ice with 2-3 inches of frozen slush.

Was out Monday and Tuesday, caught about 80 crappies. Kept 6 crappies and 6 sunnies. Also c&r 1 11in walleye.

Had 14 inches of ice, BUT 7inches was good clear ice and 7 was white soft [PoorWordUsage]. Still hit a couple of slushy spots also.

Nice reports, glad to hear the dink crappies are still around. Let me know when you start seeing 1/2 tons on the ice. I miss fishing this lake but the thin ice has made me open my mind to some differnt lakes that I would not normally fish. Good luck all!

Just drove around the south end of the lake at about 2 pm Sunday and there are a number of trucks and cars out. Looks like guys are starting to put out the perms. I saw them on the bottom half of the lake just about everywhere anyone would want to go.

Thanks for the up date Tom, I cannot wait to fish without dragging 200'+ behind me. Let the real season begin!

Went out with a buddy today from 8 to 1. About 200' SE of the south island in about 35 feet of water. 4" of white ice and 12" of clear. Slab crappies the whole time on GemNeyes and waxworms. Lots of people are driving out now including some 1/2 tonners, as we did as well in the Chevy Envoy SUV. Happy Hunting!

I seem to remember there being springs in this lake. Are there areas that a person should avoid this early in the season driving on the lake? I'm thinking about going out this Wednesday. If you see a green F-150 with an FM sticker in the back window next to a FT Yukon and an Icegator next to that, stop and say hi.

Went out with a buddy today from 8 to 1. About 200' SE of the south island in about 35 feet of water. 4" of white ice and 12" of clear. Slab crappies the whole time on GemNeyes and waxworms. Lots of people are driving out now including some 1/2 tonners, as we did as well in the Chevy Envoy SUV. Happy Hunting!

Thanks for the report iceAngler, and welcome to FM.

If you believe that report I have some beautiful ocean front property in Arizona, I'll even cut you a deal! grinsmirk

Alright, they weren't huge crappies but they were plenty big enough for this heavily fished metro lake. I'll just go back to reading instead of posting.

Alright, they weren't huge crappies but they were plenty big enough for this heavily fished metro lake. I'll just go back to reading instead of posting.

Don't be offended, we are just razzn' ya. Welcome to HSO! The truth is this lake is renowned for its 6 inchers. I am on my third year of hard water fishing and fish BE frequently, never caught a slab, but as many sixers as I can stand. It is a fun lake to fish, I bring new people to hard water to this lake first just so they can pull some fish through the ice. Their is many old threads on this site talking about the small crappie population. Mostly joking about it, you kinda unknowingly set yourself up for the jabs. If you see me out there stop by and say hi, I drive a tan Silverado w/topper. I have HSO, Iceleader, and Lowrance decals on the back. I fish in a Yukon FT. And normally have a pile of walleye sitting outside the door, just kidding about that.

Lake seems fully drivable, found crappies early Sunday and Walleyes at dusk. By the weedbed on the southeast side. No luck with pike yet, anyone else? Maybe on the north side of the lake?

Thanks for the update, did you happen to measure the ice while out there? What's the ratio black to white ice? Thanks in advance and welcome to HSO!

There are slabs in that lake.. Last year we I had a friend that caught a 14.5 incher from there other than that they're all slabs in the 6-8 incher