• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

are people walking from the squirrels nest road access to get to bakers bay and whats the ice thickness on the way to bakers bay and in bakers bay?
people are useing westwood access or county park to get to bakers bay drill'd alot of holes today all 8 inches

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• harvey lee

• DLK

• BoneCollector9

• dan z

Anyone know how the ice is out from the North Shore access? Hoping to get out Saturday afternoon/evening.....

just out off third point yesterday evening... fishing was dead but ice was surprisingly good with wheelers zooming around everywhere. 6"+ where we augered

was off of third on monday morning fishing wasnt that great and the ice was in great shap wheelers all over had 7"-8" in all holes drilled

Looking to hit Washington tomorrow morning. Anyone heading out? I'm open to any area. I haven't made it out yet this winter and don't want to venture out alone until after I've drilled a few times.

Let me know if you're interested in meeting out there.

Thanks.

Sounds good enough to take a day and go to Washington maybe this week for some panfish.

Time to give the eyes a break.

Ice was 8" everywhere? Point 3 area too?

Any sketchy spots that you noticed anywhere? I'm heading out alone tomorrow and want to make sure I'm good to go no matter where I walk on.

Maybe avoid the narrows but the only place that I'm not sure is safe would be 3rd pt. but from what I've seen I would put money on that 3rd pt. would have around 4-6 inches in which is usually safe ice but not sure with the wind and inconsistent weather.

Thanks for that update. Definitely skipping the narrows... never safe going through there. I will just stick to the beaten path for now. Thanks again

A guy at work said there was a large narrow area of open water extending out from Squirls nest point heading SE about 50 yrds on Monday. Didn't see it myself, but if you stay wide of the point and you should be fine

A guy at work said there was a large narrow area of open water extending out from Squirls nest point heading SE about 50 yrds on Monday. Didn't see it myself, but if you stay wide of the point and you should be fine
stay wide or go over point i have been taking 4 wheeler right over the point

Was out there saturday morning, Crappies were out deeper than i thought they'd be. They were biting VERY lightly, managed to get 6 keepers.

Was out there saturday morning, Crappies were out deeper than i thought they'd be. They were biting VERY lightly, managed to get 6 keepers.

Same experience I had......tight lipped for sure! Tried forage minnow with minnow head, ratso with full minnow, shrimpo with spikes, and even forage minow with a spike on each of the three hooks and had the same results....6 keepers. Saw many suspended fish (likely crappies), but they were scittish as heck! Talked with some guys 50 yards from us in the same depth of water and they had their limit of crappie in 2 hours with 2 Northern and a Walleye to go with it......guess I will have to get out and try it again...dang the bad luck lol!

• 2 weeks later...

Hows the ice getting to and at bakers bay. Any fishing reports from bakers bay? Mainly looking for crappies and Pike or any suggested depths for either species. Pike have been a pain in the butt for me in this area this year. Haven't caught one in this area yet this year but caught over 20 pike in 2 days myself in the winona backewaters late december.

now that we've gotten some snow, there was a good amount of steam/fog rising off the lake indicating there's some open water or weak ice near squirrel's nest point.

Fished in Bakers Bay yesterday. The ice was 11" over 20 ft of water. The wind opened up the area between Squirrels Nest and the Narrows. Be very careful anywhere in this area.

Fished 3rd bay tonight about 14" of ice. Very skittish fish as everyone else has been saying tried many option with waxy being the best. Ice seems to be safe lots of houses showing up. Time to get mine out there this weekend! Hopefully the biting picks up...

Fished in Bakers Bay yesterday. The ice was 11" over 20 ft of water. The wind opened up the area between Squirrels Nest and the Narrows. Be very careful anywhere in this area.

So if this area is open how are people getting to bakers. Was going to hit this area on sat but not sure how else to get there besides going to westwood and walking out to there.

I believe if you wanted to walk onto Bakers you'd have to go over the river and through the woods... The Lake Washington Cty park is the only spot that I know of (I could be wrong). It's a long walk just to get to the lake though. I drove through there looking for a good way a few weeks ago, and couldn't see an immediate path, but I didn't look that hard either. There wasn't any snow on the ground and I didn't really want to drag my sled through gravel and what not just to get to the lake.... Atleast there is snow now....

I would be carefull walking from the county park there was open water on the point of the northwest side of the bay last week

I'm sure you could walk real shallow on squirrels nest point. Typically vehicles drive right over the shallowest part of the point (almost on land) when the ice is thick enough.

I'm sure you could walk real shallow on squirrels nest point. Typically vehicles drive right over the shallowest part of the point (almost on land) when the ice is thick enough.
yes you can go over the point, alot of point is showing this year with lake being low is a little heave at point not ice just sand and gravel push'd up on the west side of point

Could have had a limit of eyes but did not want to keep a 24" fish......bite is picking up on 3rd point but they seem to be homing in on a abnormal color...I think we keep forgetting how late in the year it really is......

Smeese I want to know where your fishing lol. I was at third point from 7 am to 2 pm had one perch before I even got my second line in and not another bite all day after that.

Hit Washington off of 3rd point tonight from about 3-9. Some small sunnies right away in about 20' of water and fished it about a foot off the bottom. Pretty slow night, but a bit of good news came through at about 7. Fired up the Vex to see what's going on and saw abit of action at the 15' range, so I made the move up and pulled out a real nice crappie. Bites were so light that I had to hold the line with my finger and slow jig to feel for the small amount of extra weight that may have been there. I grabbed about a half dozen that way from 7 til about 9. Wish I sould have known that earlier in the day.

Couple of the crappies were about as long as my boot...size 12

Anyone been out lately? How is the bite, picking up, staying the same, or getting slower (if thats even possible)