• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I'd rather have the weeds in the lake period...the lake hasn't been the same since they started treating it.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• harvey lee

• DLK

• BoneCollector9

• dan z

I would totally agree zepman. I have fished this lake for many years and it seems to be going downhill.

The weeds left and it seems the fish population has also went downhill.

Maybe a swimming hole and jet ski lake for its future.

I'd rather have the weeds in the lake period...the lake hasn't been the same since they started treating it.

I heard the same sentiments from several people Zep.

Several years ago, I talked to a distant relative who grew up in the Mankato area but now resides in New Mexico. We got to talking about the lake and he said that it was the same 60 years ago as it is now, clear and very few weeds.

They need to outlaw spraying weeds. I love to fish them, but alot of years, it is hard to find many.

However, I would not say the lake in going downhill. Seems to me it is as healthy as ever as far as fish pops go. Almost always produces fish.

I would agree that there are fish in the lake but, the size of the fish has decreased over the past 5 years or so.

One use to be able to catch some very nice crappie and now one can still catch fish but the size is down from what I have noticed in the last years.

Maybe I am missing something but not that many years back, one could do much better than today. I use to fish the lake 4 days a week and now maybe 5 times a season.

There were days I never took a fish home but had a great time there catching very nice fish.

Crappie tourney winning weights = Sat - over 8lbs, Sun - 7.5 Big fish went 2.15. Ten fish limits, those are records since it went to 10 fish.

I am just like you though and hate the weed spraying.

I can see the issue both ways. I don't really care for the slime pond that it was becoming. But I also don't care for destroying habit for the main fish species that were in the lake. Take away habitat, you take away the fishing as we once knew it.

If it were possible, I would rather keep the lake levels a little higher, which brings up a whole different topic for a different thread.

I think the only people interested in the spraying are lakeshore owners. Not always the best stewards of a resoource.

From the freeze a couple weekends ago, we had all of our purple martins die inside their houses. That was just from the freeze, it may have been something different there.

I guess I didn't think of that possibility Fritz. There is a new wave of birds that have moved in already.

They starved to death...they were dying in Austin MN by East Side Lake also. Talk to a bird person and they will say the same I think.

Bad deal for the birds but its good to hear the spraying of the lake had nothing to do with it.

• 2 months later...

I went out today and caught a few crappies, didn't fish long because it was so hot out, but i had fun.

• 5 months later...

I was just wondering if washington is producing any fish. panfish or walleyes. i dont need specifics. I plan on heading out tomorrow A.M. Any help would be greatly appreciated, if i get any I will post my results thanks guys

I was on Washington last Wednesday and it was dead. I talked to 4-5 others and they were having the same luck. Picked up a few crappie around 7am and then that was it. I fished from 8fow yo about 34 with no success.

Typically I do well on this lake but about got shut out on the panfish.

i was there this am from 9 till noon, not a bite, not even a tiny perch. lots of houses moved in near the narrows area, didnt hear any good reports for that area either. i fished that area earlier in the week and didnt do much good.

Was out to Washington yesterday 1:00 til dark. Set off 3rd point at 26' water off the side of the "village". Nothing until 4:30. 1 crappie then nothing. Talked to fellow, said were biting around noon. Gave up at dark,have port and a pain to take down after dark so as long as no bites, called it a day at dark. Was out a German Sat. 11:00 til dark. Set up in 25 ' nothing. Moved to 13 ' and managed to feed a bunch of small perch but thats it. Don't know where to try next. Wife thinks I have a girlfriend and go there because I'm not bringing fish home!!!

Washington was been poor overall this winter.

I've had different results...Never set up in a crowd yet, and i haven't been skunked out their either. Few weeks ago i had all species except bullheads hit in 10fow on a rock break. (bout 200yds from an "ice city")

COvered a lot of ground this weekend and i gotta say, the perch have got this lake covered from 5' to 25'. No walleyes yet though. Probably pulled a hundred perch out there though, 10" being the biggest. frown

Start popping holes... It was amazing to see all the trucks on the lake yesterday and nobody outside of their shanty. If the fish aren't there, you gotta move.

Been noticing lots of active fish in 26' to 34' range away from the crowds.

Maybe just bad luck for me and the others I have talked to on the lake.

I have drilled holes where I never have and those also were dead. I did get many perch but that is not what I was looking for. I typically do not fish by groups of houses.

As I posted above, last time out I covered the water column fron shallow to deep and was never within a house closer than 100 yards.

Glad to hear someone is getting something other than perch.

so how much ice is out there. Sounds like people are driving out? All over or just certin areas?

Same here. The only places on the west side I did not drive was the narrows which I never will and close to squirell's nest point. Those 2 spots always are iffy at best.

After fishing three days out in the perm I found out it didn't pay for me to fish during the day. Early morning and late afternoon - evening was the best.

Same here. The only places on the west side I did not drive was the narrows which I never will and close to squirell's nest point. Those 2 spots always are iffy at best.

Huh, I've drilled holes over each area you mentioned above, as well as drive over each... Seemed no different than the rest of the lake.

Sounds like i could have just had a lucky day too eek