• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hey Up North.....

Thanks for the report. When people mention hammering the walleyes lots of things come to mind. People think of limits, big fish, and a few fish getting thrown back down the hole. Don't want people to get the wrong impression of Kegs, but it is not a lake you can just go out and hammer the walleyes in the winter especially when the bite is only about 30 minutes long.

Amongst the 6 local fisherman who live on the lake or nearby along with myself this weekend, eye action was on the slower side. Friday evening was the best with most of us on different spots. Each of us caught a few eaters (1 to 3 fish). Saturday and Sunday evening and mornings were slow. Some of us caught a few each time out and the others were skunked. Fish are there, some spots they are lock jaw, and others only a few are eating. The bite for most of us was even shorter than usual- this weekend right around 15 minutes each time out.

• 2 weeks later...

I like to call it follow the F ing'' leader. One full size 2 full size 3 full size, oh here comes a 1 ton pulling a wheel house and so on and so forth.

Watched numerous idiots driving full size vehicles out into the big part of Pokegama this last week. Weird thing with all the heavy snow fall and some spots only measuring 11 inches of ice out by the islands.......... Maybe they will make good cribs.

Walleye action still remains slow out on Kegs. One night skunked the next night one maybe 2 fish. There has been no consistency to a bite at all. BE MOBILE.

Rippin

Only heard a few slow reports from Tioga and a couple ok reports from Troop Town on pannies. Personally if you are looking for gills, I like to be mobile, find some thick cabbage on shoreline and fish 15 to 20. If you not catching any in 15 minutes MOVE. You will find some good gills out there. Stay away from the people. This is important as Kegs is good and clear and any noise in this shallow of water scares the fish away from you. I like Sherry Arm for gills. This part of the lake is way over looked for all species.

I been driving my 1500 HD out on poki lots of ice! talked to the DNR he said that there is trucks all over the lake its good balck ice!

Why would you call someone crazy who drives a truck onto the ice when theres 11 in? If it holds there weight there obviously smarter than you give em credit! It's the ones who fall through that are the crazy ones! Ive heard and seen with my own eyes trucks being driven on and supported by far less than that! Sounds to me that ur po'd that you walkd all they way out there when you could have drove!

I think that caution is the word to use when traveling on Pokegama during the winter as there are numerous spots which has current moving through it which can cause the ice to change quickly. Regardless to what one thinks about how thick the ice needs to be when driving on it, be careful out there as like Hang loose said it has known to eat vehicles each year and now with a snow pack of 6-8 inches it will only increase the chances of ice inconsistency.

See you out there!

Thanks Sean.

Could not of worded it any better.

Those of you who drive your truck out on less than a foot..... Congratulations..... It takes so much time to unload your 4 wheeler or snowmobile off your trailer doesn't it.

Fish swim, trucks don't.....

If I know there is 10+ inches everywhere I will drive on a lake. It is said by the dnr that this is safe. Rember ice is stronger then cement. It is springs and currents you need to be aware of. If you don't know a lake then maybe you should check it out more.

Another thing is not everyone owns a 4-wheeler or snowmobile. So driving is really nice.

Peter walked on alot less...............Praise God

Why would you call someone crazy who drives a truck onto the ice when theres 11 in? If it holds there weight there obviously smarter than you give em credit! It's the ones who fall through that are the crazy ones! Ive heard and seen with my own eyes trucks being driven on and supported by far less than that! Sounds to me that ur po'd that you walkd all they way out there when you could have drove!

Why wouldnt you call them crazy??? As far as driving on less than 11", sounds like a death wish to me.

some dude tried to shoot the gap in between Camper's and Luxon island last week at dawn....he promptly turned around and left(as reported by friend who has spear house within view of said vehicle). That can be some of the spookiest ice on the lake around the island's. Especially right off the SE side of Camper's (seen 2 vehicles go through there in the past 15 yrs.). Be careful and bring the auger and check it before proceeding. It ain't too hard to run an auger fer peter's sake.

Quote:
Another thing is not everyone owns a 4-wheeler or snowmobile. So driving is really nice.

Thank YOU! I don't own either one, and I fish alot with my car or go with buddies who own a 4 wheel drive vehicle or I just park at the access and walk out all winter....hence why I ice fish the most during early and late ice when the snow isnt there and walking is easy. It is kinda funny though when guys are driving out with their wheelers or pick ups and im walking out with my stuff loaded and I just get stared at or get told at the access that Im nuts or thats "for the birds" for walking instead of driving out. But whatever I guess...didn't know you "needed" a wheeler or snowmobile to ice fish?

Hey i feel ya i was in that boat once. Get yourself a lakemap book for your county and look for those lil hidden lakes nobody really goes too. Then for other lakes look for a steep drop or some good structure thats on the side of the road or by the landing. 1 of my best crappie spots is walk-in only. cant drive a wheeler or sled cause its open water. we walk down a steep bank and walk out. Few years back i used to go fishin with my 02 sebring on lotw, drove over pine island and an open water bridge that they put together in 3 hrs only bottomed out once smile

30 minute bite is on the money when it comes to eyes on pokey. You can stick around and catch perch or smelt all day after the eyes stop biting. I have been out a bit in the last two weeks and its been slow. Were markin tons of fish but it seem about one outta every 20 fish we get one to bite. The best day I have had we got four fish and three came off a tear drop and a waxy.

pikestabber, there are people all over the lake fishing. pretty much off all accesses (give or take) and also the main lake islands. depth is hard to say.

28 to 34 seems to been pretty consistant. We have got them on tip ups up to 42 feet deep and as shallow as 18 feet. I would stick around 30 and set up a tip up shallow or deep and see what happens. Good luck!

I have fished pokegama for 6 evenings this year, all in different spots, and I haven't even gotten a bite. I have about had it with that lake.

Derek-its always good to run into you on the lake-as far as not catchin fish- well thats why they call it fishin. I have the same problem on a different lake so i know what its like. I've caught afew since the last time i seen you but they are gettin kinda finnicky- maybe a weather change would help a little.

Musky... When you are in the 28 to 34 feet, are you still pulling them in off bottom? Half a foot off, a foot off, three feet off?

Thanks for the info...

I'll be in the area starting the 28th of this month. Looking to drop a portable off the North side of Sugar Bay. Staying at a cabin right there, so i'm not looking to venture far from it.

I'd love to catch some walleye, and was able to in the summer late one night but haven't been here in the winter. Anything would be nice. i figure it would be worth it to frill a few holes and check depth around 30'? what about sunnies or perch? shallower?

I have caught them this year anywhere from right on bottom to 6 feet off bottom in 35 feet of water. When there is more then one down there it always seems one comes in 4 to 6 feet. Another this i realized this year everywhere I have caught eyes I havnt seen one smelt. Odd if you ask me. I havnt been out there sense last week but I was seeing many in about 20 feet in my buddys spear house. Everyone of them had lock jaw.

Every spot i have fished on the west side of the bridge has had smelt in it at one time or another and i've still caught fish. Most of the the smelt are there at low lite times (before or after sun time) But when the water gets cold those rascals are everywhere. Some spots are worse than others.