• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Minnetonka Fishing Reports

Any tips for walleye fishing out on Tonka right now?

I might try to sneak out there in the early morning hours some day this weekend.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mjk

• jerkin'm

• Acemac

• NKLCOLT1911

Top Posters In This Topic

Took my kids out yesterday for about an hour and a half. We anchored up on one of my spots around 9am in 11FOW and threw bobber rigs with a fathead minnowA. Got some really nice bass and a bonus 15" walleye. Constant action and really had a lot of fun with the kids. My 2 1/2 year old caught his first fish (nice Largemouth Bass).

Walleyes on Tonka have been coming mostly rigging live-bait on weed lines. Sitting with jigs and bobbers catches you a alot of fish like TrophyEyes mentioned but the walleyes seem to be moving more. Although a good friend of mine shared a report with me where they pitched jigs and leeches out there and really banged-up on them... fished in 10-14 feet of water main lake... had to be near hard bottom too...

Me... I'll go after them working a piece of structure by casting a jointed Shad Rap... mostly because it weeds out the piggies... and I like to cast and be more active. I'm not much of a troller smile

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't been out fishin for a minute and just wondering where the bass have been hiding out at? Trying to get out in the next few days.

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't been out fishin for a minute and just wondering where the bass have been hiding out at? Trying to get out in the next few days.

I just started fishing Minnetonka this year with my new boat. I can tell you that it's hard to fish almost anywhere on that lake without catching bass. You'll catch more largemouth than smallmouth with an occassional rock bass. We've caught them in 20' to 5' of water. Both outside and inside the weed line. Crank baits, worms, leeches, crappie minnows have all worked. A beetle spin tipped with a crappie minnow has been the most productive for bass even though we thought we were fishing for crappies at the time.

I have no idea where the walleyes can be caught, but you'll have no trouble finding bass. Some are pretty good size too. Have fun and let us know how you did.

• 5 months later...

Anyone been out around Spring Park Bay? Just two guys walking out, hoping for Friday.

Thanks!

not for over a week now. Good clear ice and 4 1/2" then. I would bet your looking at 8" + now. Good luck parking somewhere.

Oh I forgot bring your ice skates. Never seen the west end so smooth.
Yeah, I'll say, I was joking with a friend that I think you could skate from Mound to Excelsior. He said he might try it.

Crow, I was out on Spring Park bay last Wednesday and had 4" of good hard ice. I'd also think there will be 7" - 8" now.

Thanks guys!

I brought my skates out there last year to pull the sled with, same place. Much easier than ice cleats to get out there when possible smile

i saw a few people out on carmen bay last night, i saw a few perms also on my way to my moms, i was driving on 19 from 41 towards 15

8"+ on the west end. Lots of people out on both the west end and the main lake. Looked like some water by the cracks of the main lake. Saw Ice skaters out in the middle of browns and the middle of the main lake. There can't be much more than if even 4" out there on the newly frozen sheet.

Someone who either had a death wish or a lukewarm IQ was driving his minivan on Spring Park Bay. 7 inches of ice give or take. Ufda...

Someone who either had a death wish or a lukewarm IQ was driving his minivan on Spring Park Bay. 7 inches of ice give or take. Ufda...

He was just in training for the 2012/13 Darwin awards... wink

Threw the tip-ups in Wayzata bay this afternoon. 9" of ice. West side of bay had perhaps 8-10 portables out there, few ATVs, etc.

Unfortunately, no flags.

Heard at Wayzata Bait that someone drove out on Grays Bay yesterday. Major pair of seeds, or ungodly stupid - you can be the judge. eek

Heard at Wayzata Bait that someone drove out on Grays Bay yesterday. Major pair of seeds, or ungodly stupid - you can be the judge. eek

I wouldn't be surprised if someone goes through the ice this weekend with a vehicle. With roughly 8+" of ice, some of it milky white ice, people are pushing their chances. Now with some snow on top it all looks the same whether it's thick or thin. I hope folks are careful.

It's supposed to get into the single digits next week, so we should make some more good hard ice. Hopefully people will wait until next weekend to drive.

Yep, didn't take long...sheriff vehicles with lights rolling at North Shore Marina on Smiths Bay on my way by tonight-Looked like they had the airboat trailer too..

main lake has 5" to 5-1/2" in the middle, cracks seems froze up, but they can open back up (i've seen it happen) but over all ice is forming nicely

i saw the fan boat and and a few other sheriffs trucks driving around the lake yesterday afternoon on co 19

Crappie bite on Black Lake and on Phelps Bay is slow but steady at times. Found some pockets of crappies on the break in about 15-20 ft. of water, but many were suspended and light biters. Anyone else finding it slow but steady?

Drove on Grays bay this afternoon. 12" of ice. About 8-10 vehicles out there. Nobody was driving on Wayzata bay.

Almost saw a fight between some guy in a shack and a x-country skier; didn't see what started it, but it sounded like their 2 dogs went at it. Plenty of F bombs and bravado...unfortunately, no punches were thrown.

2 pike...

I have never ice fished Tonka before. Curious about fishing Black Lake......what is the best way to access this part of Tonka? Where is the best place to park? Anything thin ice to be aware of?

was out on emerald lake or bay on tanka today 8-11" everywhere we drilled. lots of cracking with new ice being made. saw cars/trucks/suvs out but wouldn't suggest it yet.

Was out fishing on Cooks bay for about 3-4 hours, didn't do a lot of hole hoping but set up in about 24 ft of water and was able to pull out a few perch about 6 or 7, nothing really of size. Had 2 bigger bites right after sun down but then died out real quick and nothing more on the flasher.

There was about 10 inches of good clear ice, there were a bunch of 1/2 tons roaming around. I walked out and will wait a little longer before bring out the truck.

The main lake has about 6-7 inches of ice. I got out tonight and was surprised there was so little ice out there.

I have never ice fished Tonka before. Curious about fishing Black Lake......what is the best way to access this part of Tonka? Where is the best place to park? Anything thin ice to be aware of?

There is room for parking about 10 -12 vehicles right on the side of the road at Black Lake.

How would I access Wayzata or Browns bay without a wheeler or sled? Im fine with driving the shoreline if its safe but I dont want to drive under the bridge out of Greys. Hoping to get out this weekend.