• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Minnetonka Fishing Reports

Super cool video! They were stacked on the rocks pretty good there. Any luck on the Smallies?

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mjk

• jerkin'm

• Acemac

• NKLCOLT1911

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, awesome video. I wonder if those sunfish had any size? I'm curious how deep that was too if its something you don't mind sharing.

Thanks for sharing. I love watching stuff like that

Bluegills hanging on deep rocks in the summer are usually pretty big. And if you fish BIG gills, you'll be able to take an educated guess on the depth and type of structure. My guess is 25 ft on the tip of a point.

muskiemanAD,

I ended up catching a couple 16" and one 18" Smallie.

As for those of you wondering about the depth... I found them in 16-20' and they were not on the tip of a point.

That's a pretty nice school of eyes. The last few years the lake is plum full of those sunfish which I bet are not much bigger than four inches. I have seen multiple eyes actually chasing the sunfish and eating them on my underwater camera around sunken islands we fish. The walleye fishing has decreased drastically due to the over population of smaller fish. Why would a walleye want to eat my leech when a nice sized sunfish is right in his face. Now I fish Waconia because there is not as large of a bait fish base as Minnetonka although Minnetonka gave up my wall hanger a nice 29 incher and many over twenty five a few years ago that were CPR'd. If someone notices a small fish die off, Please let me know asap , becasue I will come out there and hit the great walleye fishery again.

The sunfish I caught the other week were all keeper sized as I trolled a crawler in 18-22ft. I released them, but woulda been good for the pan. I think 20-30ft would be a good spot to target the larger sunnies based on the schools I marked lately. I caught a ton of 6-10 inch 'eyes last winter on the weed edge and no sunnies. With the increased sunfish population in the areas I like, I plan to find those first and then set up there for Winter wallys. Just had our first child 3 days ago, so ice season might be my next attempt at them Tonka 'eyes!!

Anchor man,

Sweet video, you should post it on Aqua-vu’s facebook page. They give people stuff like hats and sweatshirts and sometimes even free products for really good videos or pictures people put up.

• 2 months later...

Any action on Minnetonka? A buddy just bought a house on the lake and we're going out this weekend...never fished the lake, only been on for fun.

Thanks

Went out last night. Caught a few rockbass on the bobber, and two walleyes on a fire tiger 4" swimbait from 7-11pm. Fishing rocks in 2ft-12ft.

• 3 months later...

I'm taking my dad out for his first time tomorrow and I'm planning on going to Wayzata bay. I haven't been over there yet anyone know some good spots and if the ice is going to be thick enough to take a small car on?

I haven't been out there but if they only got about 18" on mille lacs I can't imagine the ice around here is very safe.....nice thing about no snow is it makes it easy to drag on smile

ice on saturday when it was cold was 14-15 inches on spring park bay. havent gone back since, but will later this evening.

Just walk out, get away from people, and find a weed line. I'd love to hear how it goes - haven't been out there in a couple of weeks.

• 2 months later...

Made it out Wednesday morning to fish Tonka. Launched at Spring Park - only trailer there at 9:30am -- fished Carmens, Black, Seton, Halsted and everywhere we stopped fish (sunnies, crappies and bass) were hitting everything we thew at them - wax worms, plastic, minnows, it didn't matter they were crushing it (shallow 3-4'). then the breeze changed directions at 3:30 or so and the fishing slowed considerably.

The most amazing thing was the fact that for most of the day we only saw one other boat (we were just leaving Emerald bay going into Priest Bay, and it wasn't a fishing boat but a dive boat) I don't ever recall having the lake to myself. The boats did start showing up as people got off work, but when we pulled up at Spring Park to leave there was only one other trailer at the landing (7pm). And they were leaving at the same time (3 place ramp and they decide to back the trailer right in the middle - oh well). Crappies ranged from small - 10" and the sunnies from small to maybe 7". Kept 6 Crappies. I kept waiting for prime time and bigger fish, (hind site tells me i should have kept a few more of the 9-9 1/2" fish) oh well.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody familiar with the water access spots on the south west side of the lake? I was looking on google maps and it looks like a long hike from the launch to where you park in the regional park. Any thoughts on spots?

You can also launch at Mound Bay Park. Its a 5 minute boat ride from the regional park.

Not going opener, planning for a future outting.

You can also launch at Mound Bay Park. Its a 5 minute boat ride from the regional park.

Is that in the NW side of Cooks Bay? I don't see any trailer parking in the satellite view. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong spot.

Is that in the NW side of Cooks Bay? I don't see any trailer parking in the satellite view. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong spot.

people park on the street. You may end up with a longer walk than the regional park.

Also, that launch has a HUGE hole at the end of it from power loading. I backed into it... thought I was going to lose my trailer.) The regional park launch is much nicer.