• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Minnetonka Fishing Reports

There are alot of spots on the main lake that havnt been touched this winter where I was pulling leadcore this fall and catching nice crappies and they wernt little 8-10" inch fish.There are alot of nice crappies in the lake and over the open water season I caught alot of big ones trolling.In winter it seems tougher to get the big ones since the fish are all stacked and the small ones get to the bait first.I used to fish crappies in the winter out there but now usually only go in the early spring as soon as the lake thaws enough to get a boat around and then for about a week or two after.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mjk

• jerkin'm

• Acemac

• NKLCOLT1911

Top Posters In This Topic

They always say Big water, big fish right? I am sure there is some dandies out there. I personally actually troll for crappies in the summer. Can be quite effective.

I hope to hit Tonka very soon before ice out.

I would use larger minnows on set lines for the bigger crappies.

Avid

Trolling for crappies? I've never heard of that, but I'm not a big crappie chaser nor much of a troller. What does such a setup look like? I'm thinking spinners of some sort?

Im not trolling for them they are just incidental catches and usually quite large when caught.There was a very effective 2" stick bait I was long lining early in the season that would catch any species that swim out there,the only thing I didnt catch on it was a muskie or a bullhead..As the season wore on and the fish moved deeper there were a select handfull of small deep diving plugs that I was pulling on leadcore or braid the only thing I didnt catch on them was a bullhead..Except for very early spring 90% of my fishing is done trolling crankbaits.

Yep trolling for crappies can be very effective. Been doing it for years. I got into it because I wanted to challenge myself and do something very few people do in the summer. I know very few people that target crappie in the summer. They actually bite better in summer than in the winter when everybody targets them.

Another question.

Do people tend to fish deeper suspended fish on Tonka or is it better to target the shallow weed bite?

There are plenty of crappies suspended and in shallow weeds. If you can find shallow weeds with rocks or pockets in the weeds these provide a haven from pike and musky. Prime time is best, but you can catch panfish all day on Tonka. Some bays the fish sit under the milfoil canopies so seeing them is difficult. I haven't been out there much lately, but plan to be a few times in March when all the houses are gone.

Im not trolling for them they are just incidental catches and usually quite large when caught.There was a very effective 2" stick bait I was long lining early in the season that would catch any species that swim out there,the only thing I didnt catch on it was a muskie or a bullhead..As the season wore on and the fish moved deeper there were a select handfull of small deep diving plugs that I was pulling on leadcore or braid the only thing I didnt catch on them was a bullhead..Except for very early spring 90% of my fishing is done trolling crankbaits.

Huh? This crappie thing is a new concept to me...where on earth are you trolling this lake with the 5 million boats? I assume at night? Just slow trolling the breaklines or out over wide open water? I have never trolled outside of Bay de Noc (MI).

As for the ice fishing, i've had a tough time finding the crappies this year too, plenty of sunnies and bass. When I do get them its on a GREEN weed edge mixed in with the sunnies..

Mid-summer on Tonka may be an issue. May have to be an early morning thing.

Concentrate on break lines on wind blown shorelines. Use small cranks, spinners and even drift a jig. Pretty simple really.

I troll Crappie jigs all of the time out in Wayzata bay. Find 10-15 feet on the weeds and when you find them its a real hoot.

I saw on the news a pick-up went down near the Arcola bridge. Anyone know how close to the bridge it was? I've fished that area and know there is thin ice by the bridge due to a current there. News report said he was headed out to his house.

• 2 weeks later...

Fished Tonka yesterday for the first time this winter. Had an absolute blast. We crushed the gills. Lots of 7-8 inch gills. Fish were suspended and on the feed bag. What a beautiful day too. I was using my camera and wow were those schools huge. My 8 year old son had a blast.

Avid

I fished Tonka on Saturday as well. Between a group of 3 of us (and my 3 year old niece) we were able to have a nice family fish fry. Kept 45 7-8" sunnies & gills. Threw back a ton more that were smaller and a couple that were a little bigger. I've had pretty consistent luck out there this winter with those size of gills, it's been a fun winter! I'm hoping to get out at least one last time this winter to try some new (to me) areas of Minnetonka for perch or crappie.

My niece literally caught the first fish of the day completely on her own, that was fun for my brother-in-law to watch! She had a blast out there with us.

I was amazed at how few people were out there. This weekend was up there for the best of the year in terms of lack of fishing pressure, quality thick ice, and nice weather.

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone still getting on the ice over there?I'm thinking of making the drive(60mi)to scratch the itch 1 last time.Thanks