• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Minnetonka Fishing Reports

isint it down by the sail boat marina if you go east through town and its the first marina you see on the right

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mjk

• jerkin'm

• Acemac

• NKLCOLT1911

Top Posters In This Topic

Go past Sunset's and past the small parking lot on the left. Take your next left- you go over RR tracks into a parking lot for some businesses, follow the lot around to the left to the shore (beach)

tonka usually has good ice in the bays its the big open areas where extra caution is needed, lots of springs in that lake.

Its the opposite this year. The bigger bays have better ice especially west. Springs maybe, its a dammed up reservoir so current mainly, plenty of carp holes also. This year with the low water current is weaker than other years, the feeder creeks were pretty dry.

There are at least two spots to get on Wayzata as the guys above have described. One is the Wayzata beach as anchor man described. The other is by the Wayzata Yacht Club as nklcolt is describing. I don't know if you actually get on at the yacht club, otherwise you access right down the road at Arlington Circle, it runs right into the lake and you can get on there. Use google maps satelite and you can easily see it.

If you owned a Toyota Camry, would you drive from the entrance of Wayzata Bay to the island?

to what island?

I saw about 6 or 7 trucks/suv's driving around the island, but I didn't see where they came on the lake. I drove out from excelsior. Not sure where any springs are located. Does anyone know if there is a map of them anywhere?

Again I don't know of any springs. Stay away from current areas and you'll be fine. One common area that carp/current keep open/thin is east of arcola bridge about 1/4 mile or so near the summer bouys. There is a chanel with bouys on both sides (red/green) and the thin ice is on the north side of those bouys. A vehicle went through there last year.

There are 2 accesses of of 15 both are right next to north shore marinas. One gets you onto smiths bay the other onto browns. They both require a 4x4 with good clearance. When you get on the ice stay away from the marinas as they are aerated. Wayzata beach, carsons bay, and excelsior are the other spots to access the main lake.

Was out on Wayzata yesterday with the tip-ups. Quite a circus out there, with the nice temps. In the 8-9 winters I've fished Minnetonka, this is the first time I've been skunked in 3 consecutive trips. 13-26 FOW, baits staggered from 1' off the bottom to mid way up water column - doesn't matter. Mid winter blues for me this week...

Good luck before the blow comes thru today.

I've been skunked 4 times now! Going for the elusive Walter. 3 different locations, 10'- 31'. Hundreds of annoying 6-7" perch last night on Wayzata Bay. 15" of ice out from Cedar Point. It IS a circus out there! So far I've seen sleds, ATV's, cars, trucks, low flying planes, dirt bikes, ice sailboat looking things, kite boarders?, a guy hovering in a parachute contraption, and ice skaters. Whoa.

Fished Tonka last night from 6-10 pm. Slow going but i did manage to catch some decent crappies. Was set up in 25-19 feet of water and all my fish came between 8 and 15 feet. Biggest one was 12.5 i have put in alot of hours this year and this is the first time into keepers. Had one fish come off bottom and check out my jig but swam away shortly after. Time to move out to some structure. Anyone still catching eyes in shallow some guys by me have done ok in 12 feet of water but i haven't spoke to them in a while. Prob got out tonight for a few hours around sundown

Looking to see if there are any updated ice reports, since the cold snap. Looking to do some exploring beyond Wayzata this weekend - towards Big Island (not exactly sure where at this moment). I'll be in a car....

Fished Wayzata today only caught the dinky perch fished in about 35 fow.

Measured the ice everywhere I went and there was a solid 18 inches

Finally caught my first walleye on Wayzata Sat night (16" - yum!) - 15 ft of water & it was the only one I graphed. Saw a huge musky swim by on the camera, which was cool...

Probably won't be able to tell from the snow now, but the ice out there is beautiful - clear as a bell. Not to say it's safe, but it was great being out there Saturday before the snow and looking down through it.

Lots of sketchy areas on tonka still...a big wide open heave splits all the way across Crystal..It is flagged but is sure to be trouble in the dark...fishing was pretty good..

full-4296-29549-034.jpg

Nice work jerkin'm!

Would you mind sharing the general area on Crystal Bay you caught those eyes??

I had to ask grin

Jerkin'm,

Any knowledge of ice conditions by Locke point, Carman Bay area access point off 19? Looking to pull a 16' wheel house out?

Thanks,

Weissguy

That access off 19 looked fine a couple days ago but the shoreline has been heaving up pretty bad the last few days...Not sure about ridges out there as I haven't traveled that area recently..There are wheelhouses seemingly everywhere right now...

Photobucket

Fished Crystal Bay this afternoon. No Pike action. Moved my tip ups out to 23' at twilight, and got a 18" walleye around 5:30pm. Hopefully, this link works out...never posted a photo here.

Edit: photo is blurry, but you get the idea.

Nice fish Jerkin'm!

How deep are you fishing? What times are they biting for you?

Anyone fishing deep during the day for 'eyes? I've caught a few after dark in 25' but none during the day. Thinking of trying deeper during the day.