• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Minnetonka Fishing Reports

it does have a speed limit for snowmobiles so i assume its the same for cars and trucks i think snowmobiles is like 40 or 50 mph id like to see cars going half that fast, driving fast on ice not only puts you in danger but also bystanders and the people who have to come plunk you and your vehicle out of the lake, people need to quit being so dang selfish and start thinking about others and if you are just to big a jerk to care to be surprised if i punch ya in the teeth for buzzing my shack.

And this is exactly why I posted what I did. Selfish? Sure they are selfish, but you are too. If you go out on the ice you need to accept the fact that anything can happen. Ice is dangerous, if you can't accept that risk than stay off altogether.

My whole point is that if we take this approach, no one will listen because it is just as selfish as the the moron driving too fast.

To be honest, I'm more concerned about the dad that would put their childeren at risk driving on thin ice. How often do you hear about a vehicle going thru that has childeren in it?

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mjk

• jerkin'm

• Acemac

• NKLCOLT1911

Top Posters In This Topic

how am i being selfish? im not saying people need to stay off if im going fishing all im saying is practice some common sense when driving out and your right ice is never 100% safe but there is no need to make it less safe just cause your uneducated on how to travel in a car/truck on the ice. i also know that anything can happen but i shouldnt have to worry about getting run into when im in my shack.

how am i being selfish? im not saying people need to stay off if im going fishing all im saying is practice some common sense when driving out and your right ice is never 100% safe but there is no need to make it less safe just cause your uneducated on how to travel in a car/truck on the ice. i also know that anything can happen but i shouldnt have to worry about getting run into when im in my shack.

You've answered your own question.

It is supposed to get cold on Saturday and stay that way for sometime so lets hope it doesn't rain to much

I don't think selfish is the right term here. Try a cautious, safe, courteous, smart, common sense, law abiding outdoors man/woman.

So far this year I've had multiple trucks/cars come within 15' of my portable going well over 20mph, one truck set my tip up off driving so fast past it. I really see no need unless it's an emergency. Snowmobiles and 4 wheelers are different, but they need to stay some distance away or slow down when they approach a fish house or anyone out on the ice.

Back on topic -

I'm hoping it firms up quick with this rain...

Lots of full size trucks out there today still...looks like a swimming pool on top....I certainly wouldnt be driving full size vehicles out there...

Wait until the 25 mph winds start whipping the water around. It won't be pretty. We need the cold to get here quick.

I was out on Seton for a few hours this afternoon. There was a guy who drove a full size pickup over from Black Lake. No way I'd do that yet, especially with this rain.

I was out on Seton for a few hours this afternoon. There was a guy who drove a full size pickup over from Black Lake. No way I'd do that yet, especially with this rain.

Hi blackdog,

I was wondering where an access point might be on or near Seton lake? I fish Black but wanted to try Seton.

Thank you!

So, how's the ice on tonka? Did the water on top of the ice freeze over completely already? Any reports of thickness? Did the rain do much damage to what we already had? Thanks!

Quote:

well then i guess it wouldnt be a big deal if i parked my HD a foot away from you when im out there maybe ill just leave it running so it dosent get cold.

Quote:
I don't think selfish is the right term here. Try a cautious, safe, courteous, smart, common sense, law abiding outdoors man/woman.

So far this year I've had multiple trucks/cars come within 15' of my portable going well over 20mph, one truck set my tip up off driving so fast past it. I really see no need unless it's an emergency. Snowmobiles and 4 wheelers are different, but they need to stay some distance away or slow down when they approach a fish house or anyone out on the ice.

Back on topic -

I'm hoping it firms up quick with this rain...

thats what i was saying but someone thinks i was telling to stay off the ice.

Drove out on tonka last night. Measured 14" of clear solid ice where we were. That cold snap really stiffened things up.

Hennepin county water patrol should have some say in this issue. Yes they work out of boats in the summer but why can't they patrol via snowmobile in the winter? Just a thought and it would give those seasonal police officers more work in the winter time. I'm sure they can or already have sleds outfitted for patrols.

they are out there patrolling, i have even been pulled over by them when i was younger and my uncle failed to tell me a few rules about driving a snowmobile on the ice

Where on tonka were you? Drove out on Carson's bay last night to get a look out toward big island. Didn't see anyone out anywhere between Grandview point and big island . Anyone been out to the island yet or know how much ice is out on the main lake? I've heard there was only 8" out there but just trying to verify this.

I have see trucks driving to the island from the Caribbean launch I'm about half way between the two and have 13 inches.

We were out around the Narrows area. You dont see anyone out there because everyone got their houses off before the melt + rain + refreeze.

I'm not saying it's safe, but the ice where we were was crystal clear solid ice and I don't drive out around here too much usually.

not sure about browns or smith but a bud told my phelps has 13-14"

headin out tonite will rpt bak tomorrow

There's probably 12-14" of excellent clear solid ice on North Arm, but I won't be taking my truck out there until next week after this cold snap...I'd prefer to have my truck when it's time to go home. Several people driving out every day though to the same locations.

tonka usually has good ice in the bays its the big open areas where extra caution is needed, lots of springs in that lake.

Had the tip ups out in Wayzata bay tonight. 14" of good ice. Very spooky for me, driving over crystal clear ice and no snow. It is like the snow gives me some sort of mental cushion (??).

Anyhow, slow - no flags.

Where is the access to Wayzata Bay? Im new to tonka.

Are there any spots to look out for? I already put a sled in the drink this season. I dont want to add a truck.

Hi blackdog,

I was wondering where an access point might be on or near Seton lake? I fish Black but wanted to try Seton.

Thank you!

I apologize I didn't see your post sooner. You can park right along the side of the road on Bartlett Blvd. and pull your stuff down the short hill to the ice.

Sort of hard to explain but....

It is on Shoreline Dr. on the left. You will pass Sunsets Restaurant. If someone can fill in the rest, that would help him out.