• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I wish this would have been posted in the southcentral forum. I saw that someone else put kinda a notice but not sure how many people are visiting this thread to check this out (I know every musky guy and gal would have gone to the other forum though) so maybe this discussion would be more balanced. While I am a south of the cities musky angler that would really like not having to drive over an hour to fish not french waters, I am more curious to what other opposition thinks besides just mjrose. I gotta think theres more out there and would like to know if they have similar views or not. If there aren't thats ok too because then we might get another lake smile

Zelmsdawg

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• luckycrank

• Matt C

• hawkeye43

• smeese

As always, the folks come running to bash and pick everyone's opinion that isn't theirs apart. Mjgrose is not alone, I can tell you that. Most people in southern MN don't give a hoot about skies. And guess what, there are fisherman out there that don't visit this site. As hard as that is to believe for some.

Also, all that say the pressure wouldn't rise are kidding themselves and not looking at this rationally. And whomever says there are usually only a few boats at the landings are not there then. On the weekends, they are plump full.

2 lakes in a how many mile radius that would carry a fishable population of Muskies. Think they wouldn't come a runnin? Hell yes they will.

It's alright I guess. Muskies Inc and the like can get what they want. Turn it into another Washington or metro lake. Bring people from all over, clog up the landings. Beat up the weeds all year. We will see how good it is.

If the landing is plump full already, you have nothing to worry about. There wont be any room for some guy and his daughter to come out and spend some time together while musky fishing. I would hate for you to have to deal with that little girl and her coloring book, while her old man takes a shot and catching a fish that when she sees it, she thinks that fish is cooler than any cartoon or toys. Good thing you dont have to worry about them eating your ice cream, and using the gas from your gas station on their way home either.

Go to the meeting, learn the facts, and vote, or whatever the process is.

Littly Willy, Willy won't go home

But you can't push Willy round

Willy won't go, try tellin' everybody but, oh no

Little Willy, Willy won't go home

I got that song in my head for some reason....

I would love to know how old this mjgrose character is as he sounds like some old timer whose opinion should be dismissed as he probably has little to no education and very little time left on this planet.

Cfollow, that isn't very nice. What if someone said we should not listen to you because you are a city boy? You don't know him. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Don't worry Willy, I don't think our city boy will be at the input meeting or any MI meetings for that matter. A lot of guys stop caring on Dec 2nd and I don't know too many guys at the forefront who would post something like that.

Yes everyone is entilted to their "own" opinion. I would suggest to MJGrose to leave other buisness's out of this as the negative impact on their fututre buisness may be affected by his need to ramble on empty threats. I do notice he has not been back so maybe it is time to let this die. In a matter of time we will be slinging blades out there too, with the current limited population out there already we may as well start filling your access now so you get used to it....mine as well make it a smooth transition eh?

Just going to throw my 2 cents in here. I am realatively new to musky fishing scene. I live in WWWAAAYYY Southern MN and for the most part only fished walleyes, bass, etc. The closest musky waters to me were either French or the metro. Then a couple of years ago I learned that they had been stocking one of my local lakes with muskies for quite a while and there were some extremely nice sized ones being caught and released. I decided to give it a try and after I had caught my first musky I was hooked. To make a long story short, most of my time since then has been dedicated to catching this elusive fish. I guess my point here is this: I wonder how many other Southern MN fisherman who are not targeting this fish and maybe will catch one, will turn out like myself. People who have never musky fished will probably never understand until they actually catch one of these monsters. We who live in the south have very limited opportunities to fish musky water and to see a few more lakes stocked in our region might just make some others have appreciation for muskies as well. Anyways, like I said , just my 2 cents.

Smeese. You are doing nothing but trying to stir the pot. Make a few more childish posts, please. I can see you don't like it when someone doesn't agree with you.

PS, I don't know why you would want to bring more people out there either as you live in the area, but to each his own I guess.

Go ahead and start fishing them, there are some nice ones in there, not enough to really target though. Like I said, I am not against the Muskies one bit, I am against the traffic they will bring. Heck, I fish them every once in a while up north.

Your right on stirring the pot, thats my main goal in life, mainly when ignorant people make posts telling people to stay away from public places. All in all this was more to prove that everyone has an opinion, and the people with the opinion should be the ones to speak it....fair enough?

Heck I might show up at this meeting just to see everyone get there undies in a bunch....

Or to pitch the "Those darn muskies will eat all my sheephead" line....

Tried Fox once......very nice lake and no fish seen, but i would go back.

Just going to throw my 2 cents in here. I am realatively new to musky fishing scene. I live in WWWAAAYYY Southern MN and for the most part only fished walleyes, bass, etc. The closest musky waters to me were either French or the metro. Then a couple of years ago I learned that they had been stocking one of my local lakes with muskies for quite a while and there were some extremely nice sized ones being caught and released. I decided to give it a try and after I had caught my first musky I was hooked. To make a long story short, most of my time since then has been dedicated to catching this elusive fish. I guess my point here is this: I wonder how many other Southern MN fisherman who are not targeting this fish and maybe will catch one, will turn out like myself. People who have never musky fished will probably never understand until they actually catch one of these monsters. We who live in the south have very limited opportunities to fish musky water and to see a few more lakes stocked in our region might just make some others have appreciation for muskies as well. Anyways, like I said , just my 2 cents.

It does hold some nice fish, the only problem is the poor water clarity. Sure makes it tough to see follows.

smeese and cfollow...Are all that disagree with you "ignorant" and "uneducated" people? If so, I guess I'll speak as an ignorant uneducated individual.

I don't think the issue is muskies vs walleyes. We all know they can co-exist. The real question appears to be how can we add to the resource pool, increase fishing opportunities, and increase fisherman, WITHOUT taking/pushing others away. Madison was brought up as well, any of you that fish this lake in summer know how heavy the pressure is already. I won't even attempt fishing this lake on the weekend with my kids, because loading the boat is an argument waiting to happen, much less fishing in between 75 boats with 2 small kids. There are great opportunities to catch fish there as in Tetonka, so why add to a successful, already pressured lake.

I would rather they took a lake that has little pressure, less than "good" fishing, and a good public access, and start a muskie program on one of those lakes. Ultimately this would lead to a win-win in my "uneducated" opinion of course. There would be a new muskie lake which could grow the sport and offer new opportunities to people. The guys that already support this sport would not be pushed away and possibly quit fishing.

Is this possible??? With some research I think the DNR could find such a lake and start this process.

Honker, the DNR looks at first at lakes that have the right biology to sustain muskies and the "pressure" second. Pressure can come and go be it recreational or angling, but having the right biology is necessary for these fish to thrive.

If you have ideas for other bodies of water that may be an opportunity that you/others would support then PLEASE let us know. We're going with the DNR's suggestions as they are the experts on fish biology. Take a look at the long range plan (the link is on one of the first few pages) and you can see what the biological requirements are.

honker23, I like your idea. The problem with this is that you will be hard pressed to find a "less than good" fishing lake, as you put it, that woulc support a trophy musky fishery, which is the goal with adding new lakes.

The lakes that are most suitable to having a trophy musky fishery are your well balanced and diverse fisheries. So fortunately or unfortunately, the lakes that are looked to for future musky stockings are already good fisheries for other species. They have the habitat and forage that will support muskies, which means they also have the habitat and forage that will support other species.

If there are lakes out there that fit your description that would also support a quality musky fishery, we should definitely be looking at those options. But are such options out there? I can't think of any. But I can think of hundreds of lakes in the state that are very good fisheries for other species that would also support a quality fishery for muskies if stocked.

Aaron

I think we can all relate to wanting a lake to ourselves. No matter what your fishing for it's always nice to not have to look over your shoulder at other boats. However, I don't understand why someone would get on a public fishing forum and brag about how great this lake is and in the next breathe say that they don't want people crowding the PUBLIC launch. Does that sound ridiculous to anybody else? The last thing I would want is more walleye guys out fishing, they will keep more fish and crowd your spots while fishing. Not saying that Musky fishermen are completely off the hook for everything, but this is one reason why walleye/ crappie lakes go through cycles, they get fished out.

I will most likely never fish this lake in my life. The only time I will ever go south to fish is when the lakes are frozen up here, it just seems backwards to me. Anyways, It just seems so funny that the whole basis for not wanting muskies in this lake is over pressure and all I here is what a great multi species lake it is.

I'm just saying.

As far as added pressure, this is what may happen down the road

say 10 to 12 years from now when the muskies get big. Walleye guys encounter these creatures and try to catch one. Once they do they try to catch another. by that time the sickness has taken their brains over and they stop fishing walleyes and commit to muskies full time =LESS PRESSURE (i am living proof)

• 4 weeks later...

hi wondering if any good spots on tetonka? its my first time o the lake , i'm from faribault

Pinch points on the west end or sharp drops with change in direction (inside or outside turns) along north end are your best spots to start looking.

if fishing crappie in 25' or more bring them up slow because they are small and you will have to keep all the ones with the eyes popping out