• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I grew up on Cannon and it was the same way......mainly because it always seemed to freeze first and open last....

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• luckycrank

• Matt C

• hawkeye43

• smeese

Went out tonight for a short trip (was on the lake an hour). Between the brother in law and I we brought in 6, 9-10 inch crappies suspended at 20; over 25' of water. Only fish we found were roamers, they would show up and attack it then disappear again. Glow lindy toads, tipped with atomic glow pearl micro nuggies were the ticket tonight...

• 1 month later...

Hit the lagoons on Tetonka for a few hours today.

Main lake Temp was 52.7, and in the big lagoon it was 63.7.

I was specifically fishing for crappies and not gills so we a used crappie minnows under a float. Only boated 5 or so, but all went over 10".

Quite a few people out, and those using waxies and worms, and plastic were catching Gills n Sunnies.

Awesome few hours on the lake however. wink

Was it elbow to elbow in the lagoons? Saw the accesses were plump full today.

When I was there, it wasn't horrible. Prolly 15 boats @ best. Nobody at the beach or other hot crappie spots.

Shore fishing peoples was pretty busy/normal.

people r@pe them lagoons bad =(

That lake can sustain and grow fish like no tomorrow. For a few weeks outta the year, hitting that one small spawn spot on a lake that big...its fine and dandy.

Seems the lagoon gets hit hard every year and has for some time. Same fishing there year after year so I do not believe it is hurting the fish population.

• 2 months later...

MN DNR News Release

June 14, 2012

DNR surveying anglers on Upper Cannon chain of lakes

A comprehensive survey of anglers on the Upper Cannon chain of lakes this summer will help manage and improve those fisheries, according to the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR).

The survey, also known as a creel, involves interviewing anglers while they are on the water. The creel clerk will ask questions about fishing experience, fish caught and harvested, and information about the anglers themselves. Anglers will also be asked for their opinions on proposed muskellunge management on Tetonka Lake. The creel clerk will also do a boat count to measure recreational use.

When the creel data is analyzed, it will help provide a unique picture of the fishing quality and recreational pressure on the lakes. It will be also impact future management plans for the lakes.

“It’s been nearly 25 years since we’ve done a creel survey in this area,” according to TJ DeBates, DNR area fisheries supervisor. “This is a high priority for us and we’re anxious to use the data being gathered.”

The creel clerk will conduct surveys on Tetonka, Upper and Lower Sakatah, and Cannon lakes in Le Sueur and Rice counties. The clerk will split days between lakes and interview anglers from a boat.

DeBates said the creel clerk will be easy to recognize. The clerk will be in a DNR uniform and will be driving a boat that displays a DNR sticker. The creel clerk will approach anglers on the water and ask for permission to survey them.

“We hope we get a high level of participation from anglers,” DeBates said. “The more information our clerk gathers, the better we will be able to manage this chain of lakes. By helping us, the anglers will help themselves.”

Reports from the first two weeks of the creel survey show anglers have been very successful with walleyes, northern pike, white bass, bluegills and crappies on this set of lakes.

For more information on Waterville Area Fisheries, click here .

• 5 months later...

full-6416-27594-tetonkaiceon.jpg

Tetonka capped over officially Monday night into Tuesday. Thought you guys might like to see the last 30 years of ice on...Later ice on and earlier ice out is the new normal.

• 3 weeks later...

I've never fished Tetonka before and am looking for some insight from the regulars. Does the area where the Cannon runs into the lake freeze up? Is it safe to walk on right now?

I'd like to punch some holes and explore some new hardwater before I have to head back to school.

Appreciate the help.

good to go walking or wheeler/ car id wait a week before a driving a truck people are doing it but that doesn't mean conditions are favorable for it.

Found just 9" yesterday in a spot when we moved the big house out there. Warm temps will not help with the driving.

Thanks boys, went out and found out for myself yesterday. Had 11" of ice where i was at. LOTS OF VEHICLES racing around the lake along with sleds and wheelers. Ice sounded like it was exploding when the trucks were racing by.... people are nuts.

Fishing was slow with all the traffic racing around as to be expected. managed some perch and a couple eyes at dark.

• 4 weeks later...

Stay a good 150' from willow point as it pushed up by shore and watch out for the holes that the seining crews have cut to get there nets out. they have taken over 200000 lbs of carp in the last 2 weeks. they have 5 or 6 hols cut.

No flatties. They get a channel catfish or two but they have other lakes with more of them and don't like catching them.

best point hill is bad. Go from landing and way out around willow point. Bad ice out 150' from willow.

does someone have a plowed road around willow point,and what depths are u fishing thinking around 28 ft this time of year not looking for a spot just depth

i would not drive down best point hill. its glare ice.

Made that mistake one time and it cost me a very expensive tow...