• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Nokomis Fishing Reports

Haven't been out in while`but there were several houses out yesterday and few were a ways out so its probably not to bad with a sled. If you fish around the launch you dont have to travel very for far so it shouldn't be too bad.

BEN...Boy or Girl?????

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HuskerBen

• Fly2day

• PierBridge

• JesseParker1

we fished to the right of the launch yesterday and did great if you like 5" sunnies. We caught about 30 of them. No walleyes or crappies in the evening

If you open the DNR Lakefinder map of Nokomis, and open the Googles sat. map you have a better look at the shoreline and can better find those deeper holes. I grew up on Nokomis, and trust me you will not be disappointed with a little effort.

My son was out with friends before the Xmas snow and had 8"+, but like most other lakes now your dealing with slush and slow walking. Any city lake is not a travel concern since you will never be driving out, but always use caution when out on the ice regardless. I do like the city lakes cuz of the lack of traffic and generally accessable from anywhere, beats driving up north and spending 1/2 a day on the road. GL !

Pier- it's a boy! Born the 29th. We just got home from the hospital yesterday. That pretty much puts the ice season on the back burner for me, but that's okay.

As for parking, if you can walk a little bit, you'll be fine. Just park back in the neighborhoods a bit. If you drive around a bit, you'll find someplace. I have seen tickets written there, and had to talk my way out of a couple. You will want to follow the rules there.

I suppose this could happen anywhere but a word of caution-New Years Eve was fishing the NW corner of Nokomis (from 3-6pm) trying out some new gear and some jerk/hood smashed my car window and stole my stereo. Nothing else of value in the vehicle thankfully. So beware. Worst part about the deal is you can't get glass repaired on the long New Years weekend so I'm still driving around without glass. And its a bit cold.

Not sure if this qualifies as ironic or just coincidental but 5 or 6 years ago again on New Years Eve my car was broken into/window smashed-maybe 2 miles away at my apartment (at the time).

As far as the fishing Nokomis-walked out from the main (west) beach headed toward the creek. Didn't mark fish until I got to ~13fow. Probably should have moved deeper yet but I was anxious and short on time (and had already drilled about 15 holes with a junk auger) so I setup there. Picked up 3 small sunnies.

Congrats on the boy Husker!

Nobody likes a thief, I have had this happen on boat launches during the summer aswell. Your at risk wherever you park, and they know your out on the lake and probably watched you leave you car with your gear. Did you have a portable, and how was the walking?

Hey Supercrew-very true. I dragged my Fish Trap Pro out. Pulled pretty easily. The biggest obstacles by far were the snow banks along the road and bike paths. The lake itself made for an easy pull. Not many tracks out there. No slush. So much nicer than a couple popular north metro lakes I have fished in the last week. 12" ice easily in the holes I drilled.

Traveling on nokomis is suprisingly easy with the one exception of getting on the lake. Has anyone else seen very active bullhead mixed in w/ the sunnies and crappies. They would come right up to the camera numerous times. No bitters

I agree with Twins Guy. Be very careful with your vehicle around Nokomis. I was out on Sunday from 3:30-8:30. Pulled all my gear back to my car and found that someone had smashed my passenger window and stolen my gf's purse out of the car.

As for fishing. I was about 12 feet deep. Didn't catch anything. Probably not in a good location. But enjoyed the afternoon on the ice.

Good luck and beware of thieves.

This burns my A**, I grew up not three blocks from the lake and back then we never had issues of parking and enjoying the lake. Now I have second thoughts about even going into the city, like I posted before "Nobody likes a thief". Sad to hear that, I would love to hang the little bast**** up by their buster browns and start the auger. I just dont have any care for them if they get caught, that's two cars that I have heard of this week !!!!!!!!

ouch sorry to hear that nels-sounds like the same scenario-were you parked by the main (west) beach? i was parked on the parkway right there-not in the lot. they also went through my passenger window-shielded from any traffic by my car and the high snow banks cover their rear.

tg

Twins Guy - I believe I was in a north parking lot. I came into the park right after 77 ended. And parked in a lot. We just found out that it had to be between 3:30 and 4:30. They tried using a credit card at 4:57 at a local gas station. Luckily it was not an active credit card. I'm assuming these guys/gals watched us park and take our gear out on the lake. Waited until we were probably in our house and smashed it. I'm surprised they did it during the day.

You guys been fishing any other lakes in the area with luck?

This is really disapointing to hear. Was out last sat. set up so I could see my truck. Could the theives set themselves up to be joggers when the deed is done. I left late and there was vehicle with joggers in it, a little dark out to be getting a sweat on.

I work in the parks and I know they do pose as joggers. They blend right in and you normally wouldn't look twice at em. There has been numerous descriptions of a maroonish colored, older mini-van reported to park security. Seems they hit all the parks and nobody ever sees or hears anything happening.

I park my maroon 98 Windstar on the parkway to fish Nokomis, but I'm no thief and work hard for everything I've got. If you see me out there in my X2 and need help chasing em' down give me a holler...

hello im new to fishing on nokomis. I was out last night and caught some crappies don't know that nokomis hade white crappies ing the lake. i was out on the south end of the lake in 23fow and was caughting them ot 20 t0 15 ft. from 330 to 6pm last night. any idea were the eye should be on the lake.

Eyes will be much shallower on nokomis. Most of the eyes I have caught there were in around 8-12 fow, and my best spot is in about 5 fow.

That said I usually try to fish structure. Points, rocks, bridge pilings, etc. But I guess that is no different than any lake. For me they always turned on shortly before dark and would move shallower as it got darker, so you would have to follow them in to shallower water.

Is the southside of the lake the best for fishin maybe crappies or maybe eyes? Also with the warm wheather coming, will it effect the ice? I dont think so but just wondering.

Eyes will be much shallower on nokomis. Most of the eyes I have caught there were in around 8-12 fow, and my best spot is in about 5 fow.

That said I usually try to fish structure. Points, rocks, bridge pilings, etc. But I guess that is no different than any lake. For me they always turned on shortly before dark and would move shallower as it got darker, so you would have to follow them in to shallower water.

I have to agree with this. This pattern is true in open water, as well. Almost all of my eyes out of Nokomis have been in the hour around sundown in 12 feet or less.

Another thing: be quiet. Stealth is important.

I cannot guarantee that the ice around the bridge is safe. That said I have fished under it in previous years, but it is some ugly looking ice and a bit scary. I have done ok in that area, except for low water years.

I thought the pond hockey tournies were being held there? Should be enough ice to find a spot I guess. I would fish out from the bridge about 40-80ft.

I have caught walleyes out there during the summer months.

• 3 weeks later...

Was out int AM on Friday and caught a few Perch and some sunnies nothing worth keeping. Was set up in front of the boat launch in about 12 fow.

• 3 months later...

If you are taking a boat, be aware that it is an electric motor only lake.

As far as the species you mentioned, there are few to no northerns in the lake. They were pretty much eliminated during the tiger musky stocking programs. That said, there are always some nice tigers lurking in there.

Bass are plentiful, but generally small.

Walleyes are plentiful, ,mostly small, but there are some really nice fish as well.

As you stated, the bridge is a good place to start. There are some really developed milfoil weedlines in the lake, and some deeper points. Otherwise the lake does not have a spectacular amount of structure, so fish what there is.